Debt Dumpers - 2017

If the same issues happen with my next baby, I would have a hard time considering going down the same route again. And if the next baby does decide to breastfeed and I hated it, I would probably ditch it. It has been stressful and I feel like I could have done things better over the past few weeks if I hadn't been so worked up over feedings. I have decided to reduce the number of pumping sessions each day, even if it does lead to a decrease in my supply and eventually wean when I get closer to the 3 month mark. I just can't keep up with this schedule. I want to spend more time enjoying my baby and less time worrying about how I am going to fit in one more pump session. It has just taken time for me to come to terms with everything and to overcome my disappointment.

I had a similar experience with my oldest, and my one big regret about my time home with him is that I let the guilt/worry about breastfeeding not working out over shadow our time together. I was stressed out so he was stressed out. The best thing I did for us was to give up breastfeeding. He was full, he was happy and slept. When I got more sleep, things started looking up.

I tried again with my second child, and he breastfed like a champ. For whatever reason with him, I wasn't able to get anything out when I pumped. He gained weight, but I knew I couldn't keep up with breastfeeding because I was going back to work. We switched to a bottle and he did just fine. The difference with my youngest is that I didn't feel guilty about it and enjoyed my time home with him.

We all have a picture in our head about how things will work out when the baby comes, and it's ok to be sad if it doesn't quite work out. The best advice anyone ever gave me about kids was that the thing that works is the right thing to do. If your baby hates the sling, stop using it. If breastfeeding doesn't work, fed is best. If the name brand whatever doesn't work, use generic. It's ok. Hang in there. There really is a lot of truth to the saying that the days are long but the years are short. My babies are almost 6 and almost 3 and it feels like I just had them.

We all have a picture in our head about how things will work out when the baby comes, and it's ok to be sad if it doesn't quite work out. The best advice anyone ever gave me about kids was that the thing that works is the right thing to do. If your baby hates the sling, stop using it. If breastfeeding doesn't work, fed is best. If the name brand whatever doesn't work, use generic. It's ok. Hang in there. There really is a lot of truth to the saying that the days are long but the years are short. My babies are almost 6 and almost 3 and it feels like I just had them.

This totally...breastfeeding/pumping was so hard..it really was...I don't think I would have gone so long if I knew I was going to be going back to work and would be switching to bottle fed...formula, breastmilk- whatever, as long as they are eating right. I have heard good things about thickened formula. Also the costco or "Kirkland" brand is super popular here- apparently it's the same as enfamil, but the people that I know that switched to formula that have used it have been super happy with it.
The mom guilt never ends though...I work M-Thurs 10 hour days, so leave before baby is up and then don't get home till 6ish, so get pretty much an hour and a half - 2 hours with her on those days..it's hard, but it is what it is

Exactly. And TV is a big deal to me and my husband. We don't go to the movies hardly ever and we play lots of video games iin our family. We use the TV daily. And while ours works, it's small and outdated. We figured might as well splurge on a new one since it's basically our main form of entertainment!

And the furniture has moved cross country twice now and just taken a beating, and it's literally being held together by duct tape in some cases. The coffee table top is destroyed and literally has the corners chewed up (courtesy of our teething toddler who is now 13!). It's kind of embarrassing still having it. Although it goes to show you the longevity of Ikea stuff! We wanted something better quality this time but since we are still in a rental home, we didn't want to buy something for a space that isn't ours long term. The good furniture will come when we retire from the military and settle down long term. Some more Ikea stuff will get us through another few years.
Half our house is furnished from Ikea. Beds, bureaus, kitchen and side tables. Most of it has lasted the better part of 20 years.

Has anyone else here besides @Jen and Ashwin tried Paribus? I joined months ago but today just got my first email that I’ll be getting $19 back from Old Navy. Looked at my account and it looks like a couple of Kohl’s items are also cheaper this week than last when I ordered them, so I should get some back there too. Haven’t gotten the money yet credited yet, so I hope that’s a smooth process. And while they used to charge a fee, now it’s free. :)

Has anyone else here besides @Jen and Ashwin tried Paribus? I joined months ago but today just got my first email that I’ll be getting $19 back from Old Navy. Looked at my account and it looks like a couple of Kohl’s items are also cheaper this week than last when I ordered them, so I should get some back there too. Haven’t gotten the money yet credited yet, so I hope that’s a smooth process. And while they used to charge a fee, now it’s free. :)

I'll have to look this up! Ordered some stuff from Old Navy and it all went on sale less than 12 hours later. Tried to cancel my order but it was too late, so I ordered everything again and then will return the items from the first order to the store for a refund. Such a pain!

I'll have to look this up! Ordered some stuff from Old Navy and it all went on sale less than 12 hours later. Tried to cancel my order but it was too late, so I ordered everything again and then will return the items from the first order to the store for a refund. Such a pain!
Their site is not as intuitive as I'd like, but if you look around enough you can get your questions answered. I'm a little disappointed that the Kohl's items have only dropped $1.05 each and they won't file a claim until it's at least $3 difference or more. Oh well.

I am bumping this thread up because I am tempted to spend like crazy this weekend and I need to
remind myself that just because I want something doesn't mean that running a credit card up is the answer. I think it's time to freeze the credit card in a glass of water.
Phew!
Budget! Budget! Budget!
Hugs Mel

P.S.
I did manage to contain myself ,,,BUT I spent $32.00 on these two little guys.
I took the cash/money out of the grocery fund.
Noma Solar Pathway Lights
179417eb0ee43e659ac9992b0d26c6dd--solar-panels-twilight.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah, I nearly just booked us a trip to HK Disney but managed to not take the deal. My psychology is very much centred around not passing up a great deal and telling myself that I'll have it paid off soon/before the trip rolls around. And I will, we will just never be ahead that way.

So I passed on $1700 for the 4 of us (not sure what US prices would be like but that is a mega discount for us!) to fly to Hong Kong even though it kills me. Instead settled on a $10 paint pen thingy for a nephew to kick start the Christmas shopping and 2 pairs of shoes for DD for $32. Black Friday shopping do n e for underv $50!

I am bumping this thread up because I am tempted to spend like crazy this weekend and I need to
remind myself that just because I want something doesn't mean that running a credit card up is the answer. I think it's time to freeze the credit card in a glass of water.
Phew!
Budget! Budget! Budget!
Hugs Mel

P.S.
I did manage to contain myself ,,,BUT I spent $32.00 on these two little guys.
I took the cash/money out of the grocery fund.
Noma Solar Pathway Lights
179417eb0ee43e659ac9992b0d26c6dd--solar-panels-twilight.jpg

I have some similar lights but they are electric. I think they were from Lowes a couple of years ago.

My psychology is very much centred around not passing up a great deal
This is how I feel. My hardest part right now, since it's just me and DH, is when I see good deals on house stuff like towels or small appliances. We'll need them eventually, but not right now and there's no where for them to go! I mean, I know some of those appliances that come out to $5 are probably junk and won't last, but they might get us started. But I must resist! This year there were less deals I saw that tempted me, though the weekend isn't over yet...

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

I have my Christmas shopping done other than getting an Amazon gift card for my sister. We're going to exchange gifts later this week when she comes to visit (we live in different states) but since her birthday was just last month, I used up all of my good gift ideas for her on that. I did snag her a couple of doorbuster blurays for a total of $15 which I'll add to the gift card.

Got my parents season one of Stranger Things for $10 instead of $24.99 at Target so I was happy with that price! They don't have Netflix streaming and I think they'll really like this show. I also got my dad another movie and my mom some stuff I know she'll like for her Christmas decorating. Now I just have to wrap everything and get it to them!

One splurge I am planning to make tomorrow is that every Cyber Monday, our city has a deep discount on annual individual memberships to area recreation centers. A brand new huge one is opening in January a few blocks away from my house, and as part of my early New Year's resolution, I'm planning to use it regularly next year. The membership will also allow me to use any rec center in the city. The sale price tomorrow is 40% off - so $221 instead of $369 for a year. The new center has a rooftop track, two pools, cardio and weight machines, and fitness classes. I am pretty excited to start using it!

Haven't totaled up the damage from Black Friday yet, but it'll be a few before we get the final number. DH and I order a lot of our clothes on Black Friday, and we often buy the same thing twice in different sizes, returning whichever one doesn't fit. So it'll be a few before we get that straight. I did splurge and buy myself a $119 Chromebook from Walmart with 10% back through Chase Pay. I was on the fence about buying this for myself, but I'm glad I did. My Macbook is over 6 years old and made it through law school and the bar exam with me, so I think I've subjected it to enough torture now. It's gotten pretty slow as well.

I bought DH a soundbar for our TV from Target for $49 which BIL split with me. I picked up BIL the What Do You Meme game from Amazon marked down. Planning on ordering my MIL a pair of Pupsocks for Christmas, and need to figure out something for FIL. I purchased my mom's Christmastown ticket and bought her ticket for us to go see the Sound of Music when it comes to town in two weeks, so she's done other than the picture I'm planning to frame for her.

DH read an article the other week about a man who scours Wal-mart clearance aisles and sells the items on Amazon for profit. DH decided he wanted to do this, which I was fine with going along with. We picked up a couple things at Wal-mart (earning 5% back with my Chase credit card) and he has been dutifully listing them on Amazon. He's actually sold several things! It's inspired him to also clean out his EXTENSIVE closet and list some of his older clothes on Ebay. He's sold quite a bit on there as well and just boxed up three more packages while I was writing this. Not trying to make a living off of it or anything, but always happy to bring in a little bit of extra money.

I think we are going to get our Christmas tree today and decorate the house. I went to Target yesterday since they were having a spend $75 get $25 off holiday items, but I honestly didn't even see enough things I wanted to buy- so that was $50 saved.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! We have enough leftovers to feed a whole herd of people, so stop by my house if you get hungry! :rolleyes:

Got my parents season one of Stranger Things for $10 instead of $24.99 at Target so I was happy with that price!
We just started watching this last night :) Made it through three episodes.

One splurge I am planning to make tomorrow is that every Cyber Monday, our city has a deep discount on annual individual memberships to area recreation centers. A brand new huge one is opening in January a few blocks away from my house, and as part of my early New Year's resolution, I'm planning to use it regularly next year. The membership will also allow me to use any rec center in the city. The sale price tomorrow is 40% off - so $221 instead of $369 for a year. The new center has a rooftop track, two pools, cardio and weight machines, and fitness classes. I am pretty excited to start using it!
Are you in the Denver area?
DH and I order a lot of our clothes on Black Friday, and we often buy the same thing twice in different sizes, returning whichever one doesn't fit. So it'll be a few before we get that straight.
I do this now too. Last year I really needed new tennis shoes... and I ordered 10 pairs like a crazy person and then returned all but two pairs.
Planning on ordering my MIL a pair of Pupsocks for Christmas
I showed these to DH, and we have a list of people that might get these for Christmas now :) They're kind of perfect for the person that has everything. Only problem is we want to include my MIL, but she has 3 dogs... lol.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

I have my Christmas shopping done other than getting an Amazon gift card for my sister. We're going to exchange gifts later this week when she comes to visit (we live in different states) but since her birthday was just last month, I used up all of my good gift ideas for her on that. I did snag her a couple of doorbuster blurays for a total of $15 which I'll add to the gift card.

Got my parents season one of Stranger Things for $10 instead of $24.99 at Target so I was happy with that price! They don't have Netflix streaming and I think they'll really like this show. I also got my dad another movie and my mom some stuff I know she'll like for her Christmas decorating. Now I just have to wrap everything and get it to them!

I also got in on the stranger things DVD for $10 at target. Almost done watching the entire season, its that good. Signed up for Netflix for free through t mobile to watch season 2.

I actually did very well this weekend. Spent about $25 on a few DVDs and stocking stuffers.The bulk of the spending went on travel deals. I finally booked a tour I've been eyeing on Viator. They are having a Black Friday sale on tours. Saved 15 percent on a tour of the ice field parkway and lake Louise. Because we are a family of 4, those tours really add up so any savings helps.

Also bought tickets to the philly auto show. Tickets are half off tomorrow only so plan to buy them since we went this year at full price.

I also got in on the stranger things DVD for $10 at target. Almost done watching the entire season, its that good. Signed up for Netflix for free through t mobile to watch season 2.

Yeah I love this show and the second season is just as good as the first! :thumbsup2

Today I kept my self busy decorating the house.
Finally I have a "just right size " tree for my home and it looks great.
I set up my brothers snowman train set and added some lights to it,it actually looks great
and it is nice to have something of his on display during the holiday season.
I think the first Christmas after losing someone is the hardest,we used to do a ton of stuff together at Christmas time so I am trying to find new traditions. My youngest son picked up tickets to see the new Star Wars movie in Dec and I am looking forward to go to see it. We will be going away for a week after Christmas to Cuba ,,family time and some fun in the sun.
I did pick up some snowman plastic gift bags ($2.00 for 18 bags x 2) and plan to fill them with a few treats for the kids in my grade 1/2 class.
2 months from now (Feb 1 2018) I will officially be half days at work and I am busy writing up a budget.
Right now I keep telling myself you can do this and
KEEP ON SWIMMING!
gt-ghT8f_reasonably_small.jpg

Hugs Mel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter