Debit cards accepted?

auntsue

DIS Veteran
Does Disney accept Visa debit cards for payment? at restaurants, shops, and hotel? This is where they take it directly out of your checking account. Thanks for your help.

Yes, your debit card is accepted at those places on WDW property. I am not sure about off-site.

Just about everywhere accepts Visa/MC debit cards for payment. The only problem or exception is places that do not accept credit cards or some car rental agencies.

Thanks Tammy, my sister will be happy to hear that. She doesn't want to take traveler's checks, and the last time they were there, my BIL lost all their cash or it was pickpocketed, so she definitely doesn't want to take much of that either, and she doesn't want to run up the charge card, so that will work out great for her.

Do you know if she can use it to pay for parasailing or waterskiing?

We also have a debit card with a visa logo. We use it everywhere! It is accepted pretty much anywhere that accepts visa. As mentioned previously, the only thing you really can't do with a debit card is rent a car. We use ours for all our shopping, eating, and recreation all over WDW.

anyplace that except visa (disney excepts visa just not over the phone) must except visa debt to them its the same card. I use mine all the time

Why does Disney "except" the Visa Card? I thought they accepted it everywhere.
Yes, you can use it for parasailing and waterskiing. Disney fully accepts it, except over the phone. Some rental car agencies accept it up front, others after the rental.
Hope this helps.

We use our Visa debit card EVERYWHERE. Including to rent cars. And have never had a problem.

Bunchkin

where do you rent your cars from. I dn't have a credit card and i am worried about it. I think i am going to apply for one just in case. I just don't like them.

Alamo and Dollar accept them as a form of payment. Natioinal accepts mine, don't know why since others have a problem using them. Guess it depends on the coding.
Not sure of the other majors, they keep changing, but, as of the last month or so, those are the only two I know about.

Raggedy....

We have rented from Dollar and National with no problems. This coming Feb. we will be renting from Alamo and do not expect any problems. Alamo does state on their web site that they do accept debit cards...as long as you have proof of a round trip plane ticket (making sure you'll bring the car back! ).;)

You should read the fine print on your debit card before you go. Mine comes with a preset limit on the max you can spend in a 24 hour period and the max you can spend at one transaction. It's around $500, and I have been embarrassed a few times when it was declined. I think you can call and get that changed, but I've decided just to use a real credit card for big transactions.

The place this could really get you is if you charge things to your room. When you charge purchases to your room, Disney doesn't charge your card for each transaction. They either do it just before you check out or when you reach a certain limit. (I think it's $500, $1000, or $1500, depending on if you're at All-Stars, moderate, or deluxe.) Anyway, you could be spending around $100/day, but if you're there for 8 days, that $800 transaction at the end of your trip could be declined.

Hi.

I work for a Bank, and work with debit cards on a near-daily basis. I thought I'd try to add my 2 cents.

Your debit cards on either the Visa or Mastercard network should work ANYWHERE Visa or MC credit cards are offered, but Kermit's right. They DO have some restrictions - a daily limit being a big one. I never considered the problem Kermit suggested - but he's (she) absolutely right. We have a $1000 daily limit on the cards issued at our Bank. And the resorts, in my personal experience, DO accumulate all your charges during your stay, and run them against your card at checkout. It will show up on your statement as being originated by (Resort Name) Front Desk. Maybe you could run by the front desk at your resort halfway through your stay and ask them to run a charge for the charges up to that point? Just a thought....

As far as rental cars. What a HEADACHE these have been for us at the Bank. First of all - the rental car agencies CAN process charges against your debit cards, but they have chosen not to, and there's a good reason why. The whole problem lies with the reservation process. When you reserve a car, and offer your card to hold it, an authroization is run against your card for the proposed amount. A "hold" is placed against your account for this amount. Now, if you're using a credit card, unless you're near your limit, this "hold" will probably be transparent to you. BUT!! If this "hold" is run against your debit card, those funds are not available to use on your debit card. This authorization can "stick" to your card for some times up to 10-14 days! Imagine the calls we've gotten from stranded customers who aren't able to pay their hotel bill to check out because of the authorization being held on their debit card!! And this authorization will often hold on "after" the charge has already cleared your checking account.

The "moral" of the story? Do NOT, EVER, use your debit card to "reserve" a rental car. For that matter, we've seen this happen with the reservation of hotel rooms, as well. (I even had a guy get stuck because of one that arose after a bar tab ran an authorization against his card!!)

But - you should "always" be able to make the final payment of your rental or hotel reservation with your debit card - just use a "credit" card to make the initial reservation. In my personal experience, they don't care if you use a different card when you check out/pay for the car than the one you used to hold it.

Hope this helps - wish I could communicate this to all my customers! :)

Hi Beth

I have a question. I do not have a credit card in my name and i do have a visa debit card. So when i make my ressis for my rental car do i put my boyfriends card to get the ressis and my debit card at the end? Tell me how this will work for me. I am the only driver on the rental car. I would like as much information as you can give me. I am just nervous that when we get there i will not beable to rent a car and we are getting off the plane in Tampa, so far away. Please help!!!! How much money does he need on his card also. Should i pay ahead. Help!!! help!!!

thank you.

Originally posted by Raggedy
Hi Beth

I have a question. I do not have a credit card in my name and i do have a visa debit card. So when i make my ressis for my rental car do i put my boyfriends card to get the ressis and my debit card at the end? Tell me how this will work for me. I am the only driver on the rental car. I would like as much information as you can give me. I am just nervous that when we get there i will not beable to rent a car and we are getting off the plane in Tampa, so far away. Please help!!!! How much money does he need on his card also. Should i pay ahead. Help!!! help!!!

thank you.

Each driver on the vehicle must present a valid drivers license and credit card IN THEIR NAME.

I can understand why some people don't want a credit card, but geez louise, get one just to use for this sort of thing, and when you turn the car in, pay in cash. Or better yet, pay ahead on the credit card and then charge against it. It's the same thing as using your Visa Check card that way.

Anne (Who gets shakey at the thought of not having a credit card!)

Raggedy.

I'm not sure about the agencies' policies on reserving with a card belonging to someone who's not going to be on the rental agreement - but I'm afraid ducklite may be right.

The only thing I'm sure of is the debit card issue - DON'T use it except for the final payment.

Sorry I can't help you more.

hi

There are personal reasons why i don't have a credit card at this point. I am not a wealthy person. It took me years to save for this trip. My son is 12 years old and i wanted to make sure i did this with him before he got too old to enjoy it with me. My husband pasted away years ago and left with bills i didn't know about and hey that is the way the world works. I will be done with school in another year and we will be on the right track once again. Instead i don't sit and cry for help i pick myself up and move on. Plus i got such a great deal on this trip. I will figure things out about the rental car. But thanks for your help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter