DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

So CCT mentioned having long commutes. What's the longest commute you've had for a job?
I don't want to hear "I drove halfway across the US" or "I flew from Chicago to Tel Aviv"... I'm talking about a daily (or at least 2-3 times/week) commute that you did for work.

If you flew Chicago/Tel Aviv and back 2-3 times a week, that counts. But if you're a pilot, you're not commuting to work... you are working.
distance about 80 miles, time 90 minutes

There are still folks up this way digging out from Helene. My young'en for one. They live in a basement apartment of a house up on one of the NC mountains south of Ashville. The house took several trees to the roof, that wrecked the center of the structure and proceeded to flood the basement. On the upside, they weren't living down in one of the valleys and everyone in the house is fine. The gal who owns the place is stuck living in one corner of her home, though. The basement is unlivable, but thanks to having renter's insurance, the boys at least have a spot in a 1-star motel for another week or so. Having gotten what's left of their belongings is in a storage locker and sending their critter down here to live it up at my house fixes a couple more of their issues. Both of them being back at work now solves another major one, so incomes have only taken slight hits thus far. Housing is obviously still in flux, but it's all a work in progress. We'll take our wins where we can get them.
Glad they survived. Having lived through back-to-back floods in '21 and '22 I can safely say that things will never be the same for the area or the people. The mental/emotional things take even longer than infrastructure to begin to heal. We are still missing one person they never found.

Day two of vacation of four. Drop the wife off at Boardwalk on Thursday morning. We went to Springs and had lunch at Morimoto. I went to work and her and her girlfriend hung out at Boardwalk. Friday, I was working and they spent the day at Food and Wine. ( more wine than food I think lol) Saturday morning I picked the kid up at her apartment, met the hung over food and winers for breakfast at Alforno at the Boardwalk. Came home and went swimming the rest of the day.
This morning, I dropped the two off at the Sanford airport. The homes around lake Jesup are still flooded. That area is always swampy but the water is still up the frons of the palm trees. It had that swampy smell to it. Every time a storm comes through, they get flooded.
She flew back to Pa for the week, she’ll be home next Sunday. I stopped at Lowe’s this morning on the way back and had to buy a dishwasher. Got that home and installed it. The next twos days, I’m not doing nothing. lol

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest