DCL Announcing a New Port

lffamDSon

DS of lffam. Disney, Marvel and STAR WARS!
Dn4huVsXsAEn1dB.jpg

Earlier this week, the Disney Parks Blog announced that there would be a live-stream on Thursday 11 am ET (Friday 1 am AEST) to announce Disney Cruise Line's 2020 itineraries as well as first time cruises from a brand new port.

DCL has never done a live-stream announcement of itineraries, which is prompting speculation that the announcement of the new port is an exciting one.

Myself, being the die-hard Disney fan and hopeful I am, have been speculating for the last few days that the brand new port is somewhere in Australia.

I have a few theories:

Theory One
On Friday morning, we will receive the announcement that the Disney Wonder/Dream will move to Sydney as it sets sail on new itineraries down under. Itineraries such as Sydney to Melbourne, Sydney to Cairns, Sydney to Perth.

Why it Could Happen

1. There was a survey in 2016 that hinted at Australia (and South America) being a future destination.
2. Disney has been interested in Australia for many years now, examples being Disneyland Australia in the '90s and Disney Wharf at Sydney Harbour.

Why it may not happen

1. Disney may want to enter a new territory with a brand new ship.

Theory Two
On Friday morning, it will be announced that a Disney Wonder will move to South America for new itineraries. One of the Three new ships sailing between 2021-2023 will depart from Australia.

Why it could happen

1. There was a survey in 2016 that hinted at South America (and Australia) being a future destination.
2. It is quite close to the current home base of the Disney Wonder in Nassau.

Why it may not happen

1. Disney may want to introduce themselves into South America with a new ship.

Theory Three
On Friday morning, it will be announced that a Disney Ship will move to New Orleans for new itineraries. One of the Three new ships sailing between 2021-2023 will depart from Australia.

Why it could happen

1. There was a meeting in 2013 of making New Orleans a new home port for a ship.

Why it may not happen

1. They may want to use a new ship there.

Anyway, I believe that sometime in the next 5 years, we will see a Disney Cruise Ship embark upon itineraries in Australia. @lffam and I have the deal that we will go on the first Disney Cruise in Australia (touch wood).

Welp. That took like 2 hours to write. Imma sleep.

It will be interesting to see what they announce. I do hope they branch away from US and European ports and head somewhere truely different.

Another thought I had (based on absolutely nothing but a random guess) is basing themselves in Hawaii part of the year to do cruises between the islands. Perhaps to combine with a stay at Aulani and to have Moana/Luau theme nights.
This would be big news given that NCL has had the monopoly on that market for so long now.

Edited: Just saw another thread where someone had the same theory as me re. Hawaii, but it was stomped down due to cruise ship laws about having to visit another country. NCLs Hawaii ship gets around this by being a US based ship that has to obey US employment laws (something which explains why those cruises are always so expensive).

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what they announce. I do hope they branch away from US and European ports and head somewhere truely different.

Another thought I had (based on absolutely nothing but a random guess) is basing themselves in Hawaii part of the year to do cruises between the islands. Perhaps to combine with a stay at Aulani and to have Moana/Luau theme nights.
This would be big news given that NCL has had the monopoly on that market for so long now.

Edited: Just saw another thread where someone had the same theory as me re. Hawaii, but it was stomped down due to cruise ship laws about having to visit another country. NCLs Hawaii ship gets around this by being a US based ship that has to obey US employment laws (something which explains why those cruises are always so expensive).

Ahh, interesting. If they do want to go the Hawaii route they’d probably launch with the new ships so they can be based there to get around that.

I did see someone on reddit say that the Asian market could be an option, however I doubt this since there is no proof that Asia would be a destination, like there is for Australia.

I'm hopeful that when all ... is it seven ... planned Disney ships are up and running, at least one of them will make their way down to Australia for at least part of the year.

But, I think that is still some time away.

Cruising from Sydney out to New Zealand would be cool.

Yeah definitely, my mum even suggested Sydney to Honolulu, but don’t know how this would work considering the regulations @WanderlustNZ mentioned above.

I'm hopeful that when all ... is it seven ... planned Disney ships are up and running, at least one of them will make their way down to Australia for at least part of the year.

But, I think that is still some time away.

Yeah I feel like that too. It will be a seven ship fleet by 2023. Part of me thinks they might save the newer ships for themselves (greedy) and send one of the older ships down here, but part of me thinks they might launch here with a new one.

Only 9 hours, 26 minutes and 44 seconds left. (Can you tell I’m excited)

This post talks about DCL commitment to its existing ports. Hopefully they can continue to meet those commitments and add some new ones in also.

Last edited:

Alright, the livestream just finished.

The Disney Wonder will be moving back to Hawaii for two cruises.
The Wonder will also embark on first time voyages from New Orleans.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we get the Australia announcement this time next year.

Thanks for the update.

Leaving from a port that is a short flight from the ports they already leave from seems a bit of an anti climax really. And even less of a climax is the fact that it will just be more Caribbean cruises.
I love the Caribbean, but to be truely competitive with other lines, surely some variety is needed.

Thanks for the update.

Leaving from a port that is a short flight from the ports they already leave from seems a bit of an anti climax really. And even less of a climax is the fact that it will just be more Caribbean cruises.
I love the Caribbean, but to be truely competitive with other lines, surely some variety is needed.
Yeah, definitely agree. I feel like they overhyped the announcement- a 4 minute dance number outside Port Orleans wasn't exactly needed (especially for 1am me).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!