Day 4: PSB and LeCellier (worst meal of the week)

Aimeedyan

DIS Veteran
Day 4: PSB and LeCellier (worst meal of week)

The morning started late and we got to Epcot just in time for our 10:30 reservation at Akershus. We have done PSB before but since it was my ILs first visit to WDW, we asked her who she wanted to meet. She chose the princesses, and my DH was very happy to meet Jasmine again. Like I always say, there is something for everyone at WDW! =)

There was a long wait to get in and a crowd of people waiting outside to be seated. We waited awhile (though we got there early) and when we finally were called to come in from the heat, we waited in another line to have our picture taken with Belle in her yellow gown. That was fun, and a change from our last visit.

Our waitress was very good and friendly. I love talking with them about their hometown back in Norway! She brought out our drinks (coffee, apple and orange juice, chocolate milk) and the plate of baked goods and fruit quickly. Soon after that came the big dish of hot food – including crispy bacon, sausage links, eggs, cheesy potatoes, and biscuits. YUM! All the food was hot and fresh and we got seconds of everything more than once. I especially enjoyed the bacon, I love bacon, and this was good and crispy – not fatty and wiggly.

We saw princesses, too :teeth: Snow White, Jasmine, Mulan, Aurora all came around to the tables for pictures.

They were bringing people in for lunch when we finally left from breakfast. It was a great meal that kept us full all day. We enjoy this character meal a lot!

-------------------------------------

I was most looking forward to our meal at LeCellier because as you know, it’s the Disboard Prom Queen. We could only score an 8:50 reservation for our party of 6 but were okay with that, as we love being in Epcot when it closes and often choose this time without previous incident at other restaurants.

We got there right at 850 and were seated within 5 minutes at a table for 4 and a table for 2 (the reservation was for 6 – and we were not told we might be split. They were just looking to put new seatings in one area and it was the last table available). My IL’s ended up sitting at the table next to us, actually, and it made it awkward since they refused to bring bread for them just for our table (?). We asked twice and were told we were supposed to share. Unfortunately, this was a sign of things to come!

Our waiter, who shall remain nameless, met us with an attitude and made it obvious he was tired and ready to go home. We’ve all worked customer service and know that feeling but also know that the job requires you stay until closing and you do your job until closing. He missed that memo. I did my best to kill him with kindness but that might have backfired this time :rotfl:

It was late and none of us felt up to a whole meal so we all opted to split with someone else so we ended up with 3 appetizers, 3 entrees, and 3 desserts for the 6 of us. We all ordered tea (hot and cold) and just told him we’d pay OOP for those ($2 each). He honestly didn’t seem to care we were splitting, which surprised me since he was in a mood.

For appetizers, one couple got the tomato stack, DH and I split the crab and salmon thing, and the IL’s got the cheese soup. I really wanted the cheese plate but knew it was removed from the menu before we went so I wasn’t disappointed. The crab and salmon thing was like crab and cream cheese mixed together and layered with smoked salmon. It was REALLY good and I wish I could remember exactly what it was. MIL enjoyed the cheese soup though she thought the portion was pretty small and the tomato stack was a big hit.

Unfortunately, not 3 minutes into our appetizer (I had just piled my half on my extra plate and took a bite) our filets arrived. We all ordered the 7 ounce filet with the maple glaze on it and all of us ordered it medium. Since he had taken our order 10 minutes ago, we knew the steak couldn’t have been done and were quite peeved that the filets were plunked on our table right after the appetizers. A restaurant touting this high of a quality should time things better. They offered to keep the filet warm for us but we told them to just leave it since we didn’t know how long it’d take to find our waiter when we were ready for it! When we cut into it to see if it was done, they were all rare so we tried to find our waiter. He was nowhere to be found so we finally got the attention of someone else and requested that our waiter have them cooked some more.

Finally our filets were done and we started to dig in. I had heard about the meat here and was looking forward to a great filet. This was not a great cut of meat. It was not fatty but it wasn’t tender, either. I could cut the filet at Citricos with a fork it was so tender. Same with the filet at Jiko. Melt in your mouth good. Later that week, we tried Concourse and it was a much better filet quality (and was cooked right). I’ll review that later. This was not in the same league, it was Logan’s Steakhouse good. The potatoes were yummy and I liked the glaze on the steak.

For dessert, we were first informed that there was no crème brulee (the table next to us nearly cried when he told them!). So, in light of that, we all ordered the whiskey cake. It was okay but not near as good as the chocolate cake at Tusker House. We left most of that behind.

In the end, he did bring us 3 separate tabs for the 1 glass of tea. We had told him to just slap it on our room charge when he ran the credits but MIL needed to pay for hers with cash. She only had a $10 and certainly wasn’t going to leave him an $8 tip after our meal but he, of course, was gone into the kitchen again after dropping the tickets on the table on the way by. By this time, it was 10:15 and we were literally the last party in the restaurant (though we weren’t the last to be seated). Our waiter had disappeared and so had the rest of the staff. We waited… and waited… she wanted to get change for her tea. He never showed. We went to the hostess desk to find someone, anyone, and not a soul was there. Everyone just left! Finally I told her that he was going to just have to eat that $2 tea since he didn’t have the decency to come back and ask if she needed change. I have never in my life walked out on a tab but at this point, we were frustrated and tired and I wasn’t willing to march into the kitchen to hunt him down or a manager. I still feel a little bad about that but he had our room card information if he wanted to charge it to that or hunt us down but we didn’t hear anything else so oh well.

At 10:30 we finally walked out alone and were on our way through Epcot when we got the see the amazing late night explosion. It really came at a great time because we were all quite cranky about our poor dining experience and this ended things on a happy note.

My mom has eaten at LeCellier several times recently and loved it so she was beyond shocked at the quality of service and food this time. WDW restaurants are just hit and miss and we missed that night. I doubt we’ll be back anytime soon, I saw nothing worth going back for and like I said – better steak is found at Logan’s Steakhouse back home at half the price. I am glad we tried it and marked it off our list. I would tell everyone to try it for themselves because you never know! :goodvibes

Next Up: Pepper Market and Spoodles!

It stinks you had such crummy service! :) We had great service at LeCellier and pretty much everywhere, but I have to agree about the steaks. They weren't good cuts of meat at all! I've had better tasting steak at Logan's too (although Logan's can run fatty). I've had far superior steak at the Outback chain. I thought the soup was just okay. My dd really liked it. We thought the food and dessert at LeCellier was just okay. And my DH commented that this couldn't really be a romantic place for people because it is really noisy. We're glad we tried it, but we'll probably not go again.

I guess we should have tried PSB for breakfast! Sounds like the food is good. We went for dinner, and while we had a good time, the food was terrible.

Le Cellier--OUCH!!
I absolutely HATE when they bring the entree before you are done the appetizer. It may be that those steaks had already been cooking when you arrived. They were ready--and you got them. Very poor.

We also had a not so great meal at Le Cellier. I too was looking forward to it. We ate there for lunch in July. Our waitress was okay; not the best but not terrible. The steak was a let down for us. Probably won't return there next year. :sad2:

Yikes! I really hate when waiters take their bad night out on their tables. :confused3 Glad to hear you liked the appetizers though. I've been wanting to try the tomato stack there.

I enjoy Le Cellier, but I just can't understand how it has become THE place to go. I get better steaks at the Outback Steakhouse.

PSB sounded wonderful! We enjoyed the breakfast there too.

Le Cellier - wow, bad experience, you were nicer than I would have been I would have been asking for the manager.

I'm sorry you were upset by Le Cellier. It was one of my favorites. On the other hand though, I'm glad you enjoyed PSB so much, especially since I'm eating there on my brithday trip. :goodvibes

We ate at LeCellier in Aug. and my filet also came rare instead of well.
Also, my shrimp appetizer was mushy. Our server was ok. She did charge us for DD's frozen drink after telling us it was covered on the meal plan. We don't plan on going back. We're looking forward to trying other restaurants in World Showcase.

Sad to say that we've stopped dining at Le Cellier. It used to be one of our "have to eat there" restaurants. The past two experiences have not been great for us - from 1 to 1 1/2 hour waits past our (at that time) ADR times, to incorrectly preparred food, to v...e...r...y slow and rather disinterested wait service, we decided to try new venues (we now love Citricos!). There are too many other places to try! These are just our opinions and experiences; YMMV! Still, I'm happy to see that there are a lot of positive experiences being reported - I'm sure that we'll end up giving them another try in the future.

Thanks for sharing your reviews. Sorry to hear about your Le Cellier experience, it sounded awful. :sad2:

We ate at LC in March and had a wonderful meal. We are heading back again this March. My DH will tell people he is going back to Disneyworld just to eat here. I hope we don't have an experience like yours! I am so sorry that happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter