Day 3: Pecos Bill and Kona Cafe (best meal of the week!)

Aimeedyan

DIS Veteran
Day 3: Magic Kingdom!

Today for lunch we found ourselves right outside of Pecos Bill. We ate here last year and enjoyed our burgers and the topping bar so we thought the ILs would appreciate a good ol’ hamburger and fries meal. Er, either something has changed or our memory is bad because it wasn’t a good ol’ hamburger at all. DH and I bought a double bacon cheeseburger meal and paid 80 cents for the extra bun. I was still not eating much so I knew we could split the fries and dessert easily. ILs both got a cheeseburger meal. The burgers were tasteless and dry, even after the topping bar. We all left behind most of our burgers and were thankful we didn’t pay for them. I had a warm bottle of water with me so I just got a big cup of ice (free) and the rest got Cokes. I ate the bacon and cheese off my burger and left 90% of the rest. The dessert for everyone was the peanut butter mousse thing (only choice) and it was not good. We all took one bite and threw the rest away.

All in all, a waste of food. I wish we had walked further down to Columbia House but since we had a KTTK tour later in the week and were dining there then, we opted not to try it. My mom, who wasn’t with us for lunch, later said that Pinocchio Village Haus has been much better than Pecos Bill lately and we should have stopped there. Live and learn!

----------------------
Though we had a bad lunch, dinner made up for it! We had an action packed day with 2 parades and the fireworks so we headed to the Poly for a 530 reservation at Kona. We met up with my mom and my great uncle for dinner as well. We checked in and were seated within 10 minutes. The place was half empty but there was a wait so they must have been short on staff. We were seated at a large round table right next to the railing so we could see into the lobby. I loved where we were!

Our waiter, Andrew, was nothing short of excellent. He greeted us promptly, seemed excited we were all on the plan, and had no issues with 2 of us sharing a meal. For drinks, we all got teas (even the two that were sharing and he didn’t bother with them paying OOP for the extra drink in the end).

Their appetizer list was the best we were presented with all week and we had a hard time deciding. In the end, we ended up with sticky wings, crab cakes, pot stickers, and a kona salad. The great thing all week was trying everyone’s stuff so we all shared. The crab cakes were SO GOOD. Lots of crab, little fillers. The pot stickers were yummy and the chicken wing portion was a meal in itself. I really enjoyed those, too. All were a hit and we finished them all.

Andrew was great at timing our meals and gave us time between courses to recover – something not all restaurants did. For entrees, we ended up with a macadamia mahi mahi, beef teriyaki, shrimp and chicken pasta bowl (he was allowed to get both kinds of meat), and coconut almond chicken. I am not exaggerating when I say that all were fantastic. I had the mahi mahi and it was probably my favorite entrée all week. The risotto was creamy and rich and a delicious accompaniment to the fish. My picky FIL loved his steak and it was cooked perfectly. None of us were able to finish our meals, the portions are large, but we enjoyed them.

When you come into Kona, they bring you by the dessert selections. What a hard decision we all had! We ended up with a little bit of everything: chocolate macadamia nut tart, apple brown betty, caramel banana brulee, and white chocolate cheesecake all made a showing. All delicious!

After this meal, we thought about booking another reservation for later in the week but decided to stick with what we had. After our horrible LeCellier dinner the next night, we really were wishing we had visited Kona again! We honestly don’t have any restaurants that are “must hits” for us until dinner at Kona. We’ll be back on the next trip, and requesting Andrew as our waiter!

Next up: Epcot Day with the Princess Storybook Breakfast and LeCellier

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the reviews!

Its nice to see someone else enjoys sitting along the railing at Kona. I usually hear people trash that, but I love it! Looking out at the trees and hearing the waterfall really adds to the atmosphere for me. :thumbsup2

Great reviews, your meal at Kona sounded wonderful. :goodvibes

We can't wait to try Kona's again for lunch~ hadn't been there in a while for lunch or dinner. We ALWAYS go to Kona's for breakfast - gotta have my tonga toast! We're having a late lunch at Kona before MVMCP! Can't wait!!!!

Same experience at Kona. We had almost the exact same apps & entrees as you. The mahi was FABULOUS! Definitely a must do for us next trip. Best meal of the week including the fabled Le Cellier.

Thanks for the reviews!
We love Kona too -- never a disappointment. For some crazy reason we are skipping it this year (at least so far). :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter