David Sedaris

OkieDisney

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
I am reading "Me Talk Pretty One Day"

Absolutely hilarious!

:rotfl2:

I thought of us all over here when he sang "My bologna has a first name..." to his guitar teacher!

Delicious!

I haven't read any of his books (and me, a librarian!!) but I've always enjoyed his contributions on NPR. Santaland Diaries is one of my all-time favorites.

I've read all of his stuff.
I think he's getting a new one (book) together now.

If you like Sedaris, try Augusten Burroughs (sp?). Just as funny if not a little crazier!

First time lurking on the Gay and Lesbian board...funny I should come across this post! I will be seeing DS in concert (or whatever you call it) a few weeks from now here in Ft lauderdale and I cannot wait! I describe his books as "laugh out loud funny." My DH always shushes me at night when I am reading his stuff in bed. I particularly like his book titled "Naked."

Thanks for the tip on Augustin Burroughs...I would love to find someone out there as funny as DS.

Uh oh....

No sleep for the next few weeks as I read all of these books.

Thanks for the information!

:banana: :banana:

Barrel Fever is the most hilarious book I have ever read. And the audio version of Naked is so funny. Love when his grandmother keeps asking in distress, "Why he have a suicide?" when the goldfish dies.

I absolutely love Sedaris! His sister Amy is also quite bonkers (in the most fantastic way possible). Her defunct Strangers With Candy TV series was soooooo wrong.

I think me talk pretty one day is my favorite collection but by far my favorite story is the Macy's Elf from his Holidays On ice collection.

I started a holiday tradition in my family - listening to Santaland Diaries. We were sitting around listening to the radio.

See if your library has his stuff on tape/CD. I think it's funnier to hear him read it - with inflections and emphasis that changed some of the jokes for me.

I never thought about a book on tape! I am seeing him live this Friday...is he going to read his stuff? I am not sure what to expect.

The story that sticks out in my mind the most is "Ashes" from the book "Naked." Funny, yet poignant and sad too.

JJ-I don't own any DVDs of any TV shows...no Seinfeld, no Sex and the City...the only ones I own are STRANGERS WITH CANDY! OMG, that show is a classic to me. Jerri Blanks-"I got somethin' to say!" :rotfl2:

I love David Sedaris.

I highly recommend his CD from Carnegie Hall. No one reads David Sedaris better than ... David Sedaris!!

Because of this thread I just finished Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, and I just *loved it!* I'm going back to the library Wednesday to check out any other works of his they may have. The manner in which he describes his family (especially his brother!) is absolutely hysterical. What a talented man!

"Jesus Shaves." I read it every year at Easter :) He is amazing to see live, we went with my high school my junior year.

I didn't like "Dress Your Family..." neary as much as his previous books. It kind of broke my heart. I have the same problem with Augusten Burroughs - his funny is just too sad (although he grew up in and writes about the town I went to college in, so it's always fun to read about things that are familiar to me).

That said, my mom and I have been trying unsuccessfully for years to read Santaland Diaries to each other.. We get to the sentence about Gerome being a difficult Santa, "moody and unpredictable" and just dissolve in laughter. I tried reading "Naked" to my FW (she's never read Sedaris! Can you believe I'm marrying this woman?!?) and had the same problem. I need to get the This American Life CD, and the Carnegie Hall CD that someone mentioned above.

Just a moment of gloating - I went to a book signing a while back and Sedaris told me that I have beautiful teeth! I'm still trying not to let it go to my head..

Me Talk Pretty One Day is one of my all time favourite books! I was reading it by the quiet pool at CSR and I was laughing so loudly. People were giving me strange looks :blush:

I love David Sedaris and Amy too!

Our own little fan club!

Maybe he would like to be our mascot?

I can't read anything for 2 weeks due to work, but then, look out!

:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter