Date For Easter

RedAngie

Sea Level Lady
Spring starts (the vernal equinox occurs) at 5:58 pm Eastern Time on Wednesday.

The full (Super Worm!!!) moon occurs at 9:43 pm ET.

Shouldn't Easter be this Sunday, March 24? The Big Kahunas who decided how Easter is determined are violating their own rules.

Anyway, I'm glad Easter isn't this Sunday. I hate it when Easter occurs in March.

I'm in favor of a British resolution from 1928 declaring the Sunday after the second Saturday of April as Easter. April 9 to 15.

Spring equinox is always set to 21-March by the Christian church (I think that that should be capitalized, but not sure) - doesn't matter if it actually falls on the 19th or 20th. I guess it means that at least one date is not moveable.

Easter (Resurrection Day) is always the Sunday after Passover. That date is apparently a moving target and I don’t actually know enough about the Jewish calendar to understand how it varies year-to-year. :confused:

^^^^that’s the calculation the Western/Latin Church uses. The Eastern/Orthodox Church calculates the date of Easter differently, using the Julian calendar.

Last edited:
Easter (Resurrection Day) is always the Sunday after Passover. That date is apparently a moving target and I don’t actually know enough about the Jewish calendar to understand how it varies year-to-year. :confused:

I had a Jewish boyfriend who wondered why Easter always followed Passover. I was like, "um, there's this thing called the Last Supper..." He truly didn't know and we had a chuckle over it.

Last edited:
I had a Jewish boyfriend who wondered why Easter always followed Passover. I was like, "um, there's this thing called the Last Supper..." He truly didn't know and we had a chuckle over it.

Except it doesn't (though it usually does).

In 2008, for example, Passover started on 19 April while Easter Sunday was 23 March.

Again, because of the use of different calendars.

Apparently according to ecclesiastical rules the equinox doesn’t happen officially until March 21. Therefore the full moon after the equinox isn’t until April.
So, if I could successfully lobby the Church and get them to recognize the actual equinox instead of setting it at March 21, then Easter would be this Sunday, and I would be done with Lent and could enjoy a cold beer?! Hmmm...does anyone have a number for Pope Francis?

So, if I could successfully lobby the Church and get them to recognize the actual equinox instead of setting it at March 21, then Easter would be this Sunday, and I would be done with Lent and could enjoy a cold beer?! Hmmm...does anyone have a number for Pope Francis?

Forget it, I already tried and failed. In the late 1500's I was able to convince Pope Gregory to abandon Julius Caesar's calendar. It took until the mid 1700's to persuade King George to change New Year's Day from March 25 to January 1 in England and the American colonies.

Pope Francis seems like he'd be open to the possibility changing Easter to the second Sunday of April, but he won't return my calls. Something about being too involved in other more urgent matters.

Apparently according to ecclesiastical rules the equinox doesn’t happen officially until March 21. Therefore the full moon after the equinox isn’t until April.

Yes, I read that after I posted. Hmmm, seems like those ancient bigwigs were indeed fallible after all.

Not always. There are years when Easter and Passover are weeks apart.

NYC public schools always had spring break during Passover. There are times when Easter comes first and we are just out for Good Friday. Then a few weeks later we are out for Spring break.

Except it doesn't (though it usually does).

In 2008, for example, Passover started on 19 April while Easter Sunday was 23 March.

Again, because of the use of different calendars.

Okay, perhaps I should have said usually, since there are exceptions.
Interesting to read about the different calendars and their effects.

If I had my way, Easter would always be sometime mid-late April, when the weather has greater potential to be more Springlike. I hate it when Easter is in March.

Yes but you would have stopped drinking weeks earlier.

Forget it, I already tried and failed. In the late 1500's I was able to convince Pope Gregory to abandon Julius Caesar's calendar. It took until the mid 1700's to persuade King George to change New Year's Day from March 25 to January 1 in England and the American colonies.

How old are you? :scared:

Pope Francis seems like he'd be open to the possibility changing Easter to the second Sunday of April, but he won't return my calls. Something about being too involved in other more urgent matters.

Forget it. He's already going to do his own private drinking bender this weekend - just in case the Church got it wrong. He wanted to have his bases covered. :duck:He's not returning anybody's calls till, Tues afternoon, the earliest.

Every spring I like to watch the film The Ten Commandments for its overacting and cheesy dialog. A few years ago Easter and Passover were a month apart yet ABC showed the film the day before Easter because it's considered an "Easter film" by much of the audience. :sad2:

I was never religious and never knew that The Last Supper was related to Passover.

Last edited:
I like it when Easter is in late March, there is actually a low time for attendance in the parks the last weeks in April. All bets are off for capacity to the parks when Easter is in April.

Every spring I like to watch the film The Ten Commandments for its overacting and cheesy dialog. A few years ago Easter and Passover were a month apart yet ABC showed the film the day before Easter because it's considered an "Easter film" by much of the audience. :sad2:

I was never religious and never knew that The Last Supper was related to Passover.
The "last supper" was a Passover Seder served on Thursday. Christ was crucified the next day (Friday) and rose on Sunday - Easter Sunday or Resurrection Sunday as some churches refer to it. I was actually not aware that Easter and Passover vary in dates on some years until I was corrected on this thread. I understand it much more clearly now thanks to an article linked up-thread but it likely wouldn't be very significant to anybody who's not religiously observant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter