DAS

Figment56

DIS Veteran-Imagination, Imagination, a dream can
Hi everyone! We’re going to DW in a few months and I’m really nervous about being turned down for a DAS! I’ve been on their list since 1999 with disabilities. I have severe anxiety that I’m on meds for, I have mobility issues and I also suffer with hyperhidrosis that I’m on meds for. I’m hearing that they’re turning everyone down! I don’t know what I’ll do if I’m turned down!😭 Any advice?

Instead of diagnoses and treatments, I suggest you focus your request on the NEEDS specifically related to waiting in a queue environment. Keep it simple. Make some notes to help yourself stay on topic.
Could you clarify this for me, please? I’m also diabetic.

Think of how you would answer this question:
What are your concerns with waiting in the regular lines? Or, put another way, what are you concerned would happen while you are waiting in the line?

And, ElyseInWonderland gave a lot of good suggestions if you are turned down for DAS

Thank you, everyone! Those are great responses and something to think about!

Prepare for the conversation and, above all, be honest.If you find it difficult to articulate your needs, you can use tools like ChatGPT.
With this, you can write down your needs in your own words and have them translated into a better text.
However, it is very important to remain honest if you do this.
I would also recommend not focusing solely on mobility needs in your explanation.
If they are the central point, then in my opinion, it may not even be worthwhile to make a request.

For those who are diabetic, the last I saw on their website, Disney has said they are now allowing food and drink in ALL queues, it just has to be finished or put away by the time you board. There will also be certain attractions where food and drink is allowed no matter what, such as the Tiki Room (at least in California I know it is for sure there, don’t remember in Florida).

For those who are diabetic, the last I saw on their website, Disney has said they are now allowing food and drink in ALL queues, it just has to be finished or put away by the time you board. There will also be certain attractions where food and drink is allowed no matter what, such as the Tiki Room (at least in California I know it is for sure there, don’t remember in Florida).
We noticed people with food and drink in lines at WDW during our trip in October/November 2023 and April/May this year. As you mentioned, they were just told they needed to put it away or finish before boarding

… I’m also diabetic.
The sun and heat can trigger hypoglycemia. You might want to consider taking your blood testing kit, a small bottle of glucose tablets and a bottle of water. Remember fifteen grams and wait fifteen minutes. Test again. Repeat if needed. You can do that in the standby line. (I prefer orange cuties to the glucose tabs. One cutie is about 8 grams of natural sugar.)

Last edited:
The sun and heat can trigger hypoglycemia. You might want to consider taking your blood testing kit, a small bottle of glucose tablets and a bottle of water. Remember fifteen grams and wait fifteen minutes. Test again. Repeat if needed. You can do that in the standby line. (I prefer orange cuties to the glucose tabs. One cutie is about 8 grams of natural sugar.)
The new Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGMs) would be immensely helpful with travel and day at park environments. later generations have ability to push notifications on warnings too which can be very helpful.

The websites will give a free sample to try out too.

The new Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGMs) would be immensely helpful with travel and day at park environments. later generations have ability to push notifications on warnings too which can be very helpful.

This …. Don’t know what I would do without it , wonderful technology

I use a CGM and they can be wildly inaccurate at times. I always always use my glucometer if I’m being alerted to high or low blood sugar (I’m hypoglycemic unaware so have zero symptoms when I’m low). But I’d still rather have the CGM than to be blind to what’s going on with my blood sugar and being used as a human pin cushion.

I use a CGM and they can be wildly inaccurate at times. I always always use my glucometer if I’m being alerted to high or low blood sugar (I’m hypoglycemic unaware so have zero symptoms when I’m low). But I’d still rather have the CGM than to be blind to what’s going on with my blood sugar and being used as a human pin cushion.
Interesting - maybe just let your sugar run a bit high while you are out ?

I have been turned down for DAS for Type 1 diabetes for years, and have always brought food and drinks into queues. Before I got my CGM, I also got in the habit of doing a finger stick every time I got into a queue. Nobody ever had a problem with it.

Fellow type 1 here and I have never once even asked if i can eat/drink in line if I'm having a low. It is a medical emergency, they will have to pry the pack of fruit snacks out of my sweaty shaking hand to keep me from eating them (admittedly not hard to do if I'm low :D )

This somewhat depends on the CGM (I'm a dexcom user), but if you find that it is consistently inaccurate, and no amount of calibration helps you may want to look into a different location for the sensor. I had some terrible accuracy issues at one point and started wearing my sensor on my upper arm and it helped tremendously. But also the swings caused by heat and exercise can cause accuracy issues because the CGMs don't handle quick changes in BG well due to relying on interstitial fluid to measure the BG.

Fellow type 1 here and I have never once even asked if i can eat/drink in line if I'm having a low. It is a medical emergency, they will have to pry the pack of fruit snacks out of my sweaty shaking hand to keep me from eating them (admittedly not hard to do if I'm low :D )

This somewhat depends on the CGM (I'm a dexcom user), but if you find that it is consistently inaccurate, and no amount of calibration helps you may want to look into a different location for the sensor. I had some terrible accuracy issues at one point and started wearing my sensor on my upper arm and it helped tremendously. But also the swings caused by heat and exercise can cause accuracy issues because the CGMs don't handle quick changes in BG well due to relying on interstitial fluid to measure the BG.
I also,use Dexcom in conjunction with my pump. I tend to exclusively use my upper arms with my abdomen and thighs for my pump (although I have a lot of scar tissue from decades of injections). I find that if I don’t religiously have my pump on the same side as my Dexcom sensor, I can easily loose the signal. And heat definitely plays a part in accuracy, in my experience. Since moving to Hawaii and having no a/c, I have a much more difficult time with the accuracy of the Dexcom as well as staying in range. I envy my mom, who’s T1 as well amd she has this beautiful even line in her CGM history whereas mine looks like ToT 🤪😂

I also,use Dexcom in conjunction with my pump. I tend to exclusively use my upper arms with my abdomen and thighs for my pump (although I have a lot of scar tissue from decades of injections). I find that if I don’t religiously have my pump on the same side as my Dexcom sensor, I can easily loose the signal. And heat definitely plays a part in accuracy, in my experience. Since moving to Hawaii and having no a/c, I have a much more difficult time with the accuracy of the Dexcom as well as staying in range. I envy my mom, who’s T1 as well amd she has this beautiful even line in her CGM history whereas mine looks like ToT 🤪😂
Oh man, same side of the body is spot on. I have to do the same. I’ve also noticed in large crowds, where I’m sure there is a lot of electronic interference, it loses connection. My phone tends to hold the connection better than my pump which is nice but also completely defeats the purpose of the control iq system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter