DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

It seemed some posters who started registering for trips later than May 20 were being issued DAS for exactly the length of their tickets (which would be under the new, post May 20 rules) when they called 30 days prior to the start of their trip.
This is what I was told (multiple times) in park last week. APs have zero bearing on that situation.

My family member’s current one started 4/16. Expires 6/16

Was told could call in 30 days prior to next trip commencement of 6/26 (so on 5/26). Don’t even want to think about the potential hold times

I agree but since you posted GAC and we're discussing DAS, I felt like this needed to be made clear.

Yes, I'm sure someone will sue. As I posted somewhere way back in the thread, I grew up surrounded by attorneys and judges. During summers, I would work in my Dad's law office and saw some crazy stuff.

Disney though needs to step up and not take years to finish projects. I remember several years ago when Uni was working on the Harry Potter section, they got it done wham bam. Disney could too. I have never understood why they seem to dawdle. If Disney got work done faster on expansions, crowds would be dispersed throughout the parks.
Agreed 💯 higher capacity attractions and more live entertainment in the parks would be a great help to relieve some of the pressure of people all competing for so many limited slots on the attractions (not that this is a quick fix, but you are right, they can totally accomplish more in a shorter time when they want to…. Look how fast the splash mountain remake is coming together.. and they certainly shouldn’t have a lot of budget constraints- the parks are pretty full most of the year. Maybe that is why they don’t have a lot of urgency to build new attractions though- the parks are staying full without them 🤷🏼‍♀️)

It appears to me that there are 2 different accommodations -- the (probably more common) Ride Accessibility Program or RAP, and then the PA park offers a "Special Access Pass" or SAP which is the one limited to 6 dry rides and 3 water rides. The CA park appears to only offer RAP, though it's possible they simply don't advertise the SAP.

The RAP sounds to be similar to the old paper DAS in that you go to the ride entrance and obtain a boarding time. In the CA parks it appears this is only offered at 6 attractions; with others referred to as "smaller attractions." Not being familiar with either park, it's possible those are the only attractions with longer waits -- thus the limit on the SAP in PA.

The SAP provides "priority boarding" which sounds like FOTL. The limit is 6 actual rides (not attractions), which can include the same attraction up to 2 times. It is likely they can limit the number of rides because this is "special access" and not the standard RAP.

The last time I looked at the Sesame Place Phila program, it was listed as the RAP. It appears that SAP is a different level of accommodation.

I do find it very interesting that Sesame Place does not utilize the IBCCES card, though Sea World does and I believe they are related companies.
Okay that makes more sense… surely they can’t not offer an alternate way that someone can use to access all the attractions. And you are right, I think when a park offers something above “equal access” they can be more selective in how it is offered (I can totally be wrong, but in some of my research into what legal cases have occurred and what different parks offer… it looks like maybe if a park offers something that is an elevated experience they can require some sort of documentation proving need for people who get to partake in those programs that offer more direct access ? Or maybe I didn’t understand how it is written well)

Thank you so much for this comment. I can relate to so so much of what you have said. It’s almost like you have written it for me. I also have an invisible disability. I look absolutely fine and often get comments like you are looking well. It’s lovely to see you out and about. Blah blah. lol. The reality being I am not well and have had to rest a great deal to be soo heading to what ever activity it is I am about to go and do or have just done. (Like going to the shops or a coffee. As part of my condition I suffer from crippling fatigue amongst many other symptoms. So have spent time resting before and after what ever it is I am doing or have done.

But thank you. I will definitely take on your advice when I do the video call. Let’s hope it lets me. I am in the uk. I don’t travel till September.

Thank you again.

Ps have been to Canadas Wonderland a number of years ago (before I got sick) it was amazing. I am sure it’s changed lots since I was there but we loved Behemoth when we visited.

That is exactly the situation I had at Canada's Wonderland with their new "rewording" of their equivalent program for the 2024 season, it excluded my issue in the update, but I went confident, explained why return to queues doesn't work for me with real experiences at their theme park and other parks that backed that up, I had to give more specific details than ever before and they took the issue to a supervisor who ultimately gave me the regular equivalent accommodation as the current (May 20 and on) version of DAS. So to reiterate, if you have been a regular DAS user and you don't know if your disability will be accommodated the same way, the best thing you can do is tell your story. Don't feel guilty about what others think (you have lived with a problem that others have not, so THEY DONT KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE, only you do), I stopped caring of the optics because I've been dealing with an invisible disability for 10 years now and I keep getting told "you're looking good though", physical appearances last time I checked doesn't improve disabilities. Be confident, you've been living your life in an altered fashion, stick up for yourself, because the disabled community is an easy target to manipulate because they feed on the culpability we carry like it's some how our fault. Fight, everyone deserves to be treated fairly, so fight for it because we shouldn't expect to be given anything (DAS was heading in that direction), if you think you need DAS, you should have to at least explain in depth why you need it, shouldn't be an issue since you live daily with it. Lastly, don't be embarrassed, there is nothing to be embarrassed about living with a disability, it is not your fault, it is out of your control, and we're at a point in society where it is accepted and treated with respect, so you shouldn't need to hide your voice; if anything, speak up, we need more voices to strengthen the community and to educate others more, it does no good to feel bad and not share your experience.

Sorry for the speech, felt it, and went with it today. I'm having a "better" day with my condition today, so extra positive for now lol. Hope it helps anyone that has been extra nervous, scared, guilty, angry, shy about the unknowns we'll be facing with the new DAS. It's under 3 weeks away, and I have some bad thoughts about it, but I am trying to go in with a positive mindset, and that comes from a lot of the messages on this thread and supporting the cause, and giving information as best as possible. So I want to say thank you as well.

Apparently sesame place is kind of for people with special needs. A poster mentioned earlier that it’s ok if the accommodation affects park operations, which is incorrect. So if it’s mostly kids with special needs I can see how they had to limit the accommodation in order to keep the park running.
It does seem like they offer a lot of thought into the needs of special needs kiddos… and that is awesome :) I guess being a sort of small park gives them the ability to sort of put in extra focus on that. And I mean most kids have some sensory issues when they are small (and I totally am not comparing typical toddler sensory struggles with those that have developmental disabilities - just saying a lot of kiddos have those sorts of sensitivities so it is probably helpful for all their guests )

I think people here are focused on rides as in length of time in queue because that's how Disney's system works. Sesame Place is not for that, at least in PA with their autism focus. People here are all about attractions right but Sesame Place in PA is about the environment. (in the context of autism).

Look at the way they describe features:
"Sesame Place Philadelphia Ambassadors receive specialized training to ensure they have the requisite knowledge, skills, temperament, and expertise to cater to all children, including those with special needs. Training focuses include: sensory awareness, motor skills, autism overview, program development, social skills, communication, environment, and emotional awareness."

"The IBCCES Sensory Guide provides insight on how a child with sensory processing issues may be affected by each sense for rides and attractions at Sesame Place Philadelphia."

"Guests in need of some quiet time and relief from sensory stimulation can utilize our Low Sensory Room near Big Bird's Rambling River. This room has adjustable lighting and a comfortable seating area for guests to take a break. The Low Sensory Room is locked to ensure privacy for our guests. Guests who would like to use the Low Sensory Room can visit the Welcome Center to receive the code needed to enter."

"Sesame Place Philadelphia is proud to offer noise-cancelling headphones provided by KidCo. Guests with hearing sensitivity may pick up noise-cancelling headphones at The Family Care Center or The Welcome Center. Noise- cancelling headphones are available on a first come, first served basis. Please return at the end of your visit."

"Guests in need of a more quiet location in the park are encouraged to visit the area behind the Sesame Street Neighborhood. While this location is not a designated quiet area, it is often a less populated area of the park."

"Guests who want to enjoy the parade with a reduced volume level are encouraged to sit closest to where our parade begins and/or several rows back from the parade viewing line."

"Our Ride Accessibility Guide provides an overview of services and facilities available for guests with cognitive disabilities and other special needs that are visiting Sesame Place Philadelphia theme park. We are committed to providing a safe and enjoyable environment to all guests."

But in quite a large way you've hit on what may be a barrier for some--Because Disney is about what issues prevent you from waiting in a queue naturally people are focused about getting on rides and how many rides they may be getting on. More than likely if you're taking your autistic child to Sesame Place (over another theme park) you're doing so because the park itself provides at least more attention towards children with autism. So you see an issue with a limit I see that traveling parties are likely choosing Sesame Place with a focus on place that have more in mind for their autistic child rather than the most visited theme park in the world that may not limit rides by an actual number but otherwise does not have a heavy focus on the environment of the park.
Makes sense - if the park is overall more accommodating or “geared towards” sensory challenges… then the “special accommodations” wouldn’t really have to be as all encompassing, because there would be overall less scenarios that created the need for accommodations at all

It does seem like they offer a lot of thought into the needs of special needs kiddos… and that is awesome :) I guess being a sort of small park gives them the ability to sort of put in extra focus on that. And I mean most kids have some sensory issues when they are small (and I totally am not comparing typical toddler sensory struggles with those that have developmental disabilities - just saying a lot of kiddos have those sorts of sensitivities so it is probably helpful for all their guests )
Absolutely. Regional parks that service mostly just that particular region and even smaller just that particular city/metro have the ability to be more focused on whatever they choose to be. It can take a lot of money and resources to do so but the visitors to their park might make it easier to do that. Disney might have a good chunk of change to do things but they are also the most visited theme park in the world. It doesn't leave as much opportunity to be focused on xyz. Honestly I thought it was really neat that the Sesame Place have headphones (assuming the website is correct) for usage but that wouldn't really be feasible at any of the Disney parks, it's just too many people, too many different parks, etc.

This is what I was told (multiple times) in park last week. APs have zero bearing on that situation.

Was told could call in 30 days prior to next trip commencement of 6/26 (so on 5/26). Don’t even want to think about the potential hold times
Don't know if this will happen for you but I called about 1:30pm last Saturday. Waited about 10 minutes for chat to begin and I was done about 2-2:10 - so entire process was 30-40 minutes. Think it was closer to 30 but giving some leeway.

Agreed 💯 higher capacity attractions and more live entertainment in the parks would be a great help to relieve some of the pressure of people all competing for so many limited slots on the attractions (not that this is a quick fix, but you are right, they can totally accomplish more in a shorter time when they want to…. Look how fast the splash mountain remake is coming together.. and they certainly shouldn’t have a lot of budget constraints- the parks are pretty full most of the year. Maybe that is why they don’t have a lot of urgency to build new attractions though- the parks are staying full without them 🤷🏼‍♀️)
Entertainment could be a quick fix, there are so many venues on both coasts that are either unused or underused and honestly, Disney has proven they can put together a great show in the matter of a few weeks. I mean look into the history of the Festival of the Lion King at Animal Kingdom, that was intended to be a very temporary show that was thrown together very quickly. Disney can and should add a lot more entertainment. And also add high capacity attractions, such as more omnimover, boat, etc. type rides that handle massive amounts of guests per hour.

30 days from registration seems to be the standard folks have been told. An occasional poster has mentioned they were told it was good until the end of their visit (so 30+ days). One poster was very clearly informed the DAS would expire a day prior to their visit end, but since their last day isn't planned in the park it works out. So I would plan on DAS being valid for 30 days -- in fact, the website indicates "up to 30 days from the start of the registration." Personally, since the Advanced Selections are not particularly important to us, if I needed to pre-register in the next couple of weeks I would probably make sure all park days are within the 30-day window. Except for Advanced Selections, there is little value in doing pre-registration right at the 30-day mark.

I believe once May 20th hits, DAS will be valid for the length of stay for most or 120 days (for APs/undated tickets). So if people have a visit that fully takes place between May 20th and June 19th, they have the option to pre-register before May 20th (under old rules) or after May 20th (under new rules). The valid length of the DAS may be different.
This is what the websites said this morning

Guests registering thru May 19 at WDW and June 17 at DL:
  • Advance Video Registration currently 30 to 2 days before the visit (link on website)
  • DAS registration at the parks still available at Guest Relations
  • Guests can book 2 DAS Advance Selections per park day (there are limited attractions and number of slots available)
  • DAS is valid for up to 30 days from the START of registration. Once the 30 days have elapsed, you will need to re-register
You can see the text part of your chat in the My Disney Experience, so you can see the date the registration chat was done

Last edited:
This is what the websites said this morning

Guests registering thru May 19 at WDW and June 17 at DL:
  • Advance Video Registration currently 30 to 2 days before the visit (link on website)
  • DAS registration at the parks still available at Guest Relations
  • Guests can book 2 DAS Advance Selections per park day (there are limited attractions and number of slots available)
  • DAS is valid for up to 30 days from the START of registration. Once the 30 days have elapsed, you will need to re-register
You can see the text part of your chat in the My Disney Experience, so you can see the date the registration chat was done
Maybe going forward after a DAS is issued people can note the exact expiration date? The CM usually tells me it’s good through X date but I never pay attention because it only ever covers one trip for me.

I registered my non-developmentally disabled daughter for DAS today. We have a tentative weekend planned for the 18-19 of May, and a definite plan for the 23-37 of May. Got the DAS without any trouble. I declined the pre-scheduled return times because we don’t really need them. But I was told I could set them up later if I wanted to. The DAS expires on May 30. Overall, I was very happy that it only took about 30 minutes (started the process around 4:20 p.m. EST).

It appears to me that there are 2 different accommodations -- the (probably more common) Ride Accessibility Program or RAP, and then the PA park offers a "Special Access Pass" or SAP which is the one limited to 6 dry rides and 3 water rides. The CA park appears to only offer RAP, though it's possible they simply don't advertise the SAP.

The RAP sounds to be similar to the old paper DAS in that you go to the ride entrance and obtain a boarding time. In the CA parks it appears this is only offered at 6 attractions; with others referred to as "smaller attractions." Not being familiar with either park, it's possible those are the only attractions with longer waits -- thus the limit on the SAP in PA.

The SAP provides "priority boarding" which sounds like FOTL. The limit is 6 actual rides (not attractions), which can include the same attraction up to 2 times. It is likely they can limit the number of rides because this is "special access" and not the standard RAP.

The last time I looked at the Sesame Place Phila program, it was listed as the RAP. It appears that SAP is a different level of accommodation.

I do find it very interesting that Sesame Place does not utilize the IBCCES card, though Sea World does and I believe they are related companies.
I’ve gone to Sesame Place in PA with my children several times. It’s just not at all comparable to WDW. The lines just don’t get that long. If I had to guess, I’d say that the average Lightning Lane line at WDW is consistently longer than the average line at Sesame Place.

I registered my non-developmentally disabled daughter for DAS today. We have a tentative weekend planned for the 18-19 of May, and a definite plan for the 23-37 of May. Got the DAS without any trouble. I declined the pre-scheduled return times because we don’t really need them. But I was told I could set them up later if I wanted to. The DAS expires on May 30. Overall, I was very happy that it only took about 30 minutes (started the process around 4:20 p.m. EST).
Does your trip end May 30? With your typo I wasn’t sure if you were going for May 27, or May 30. Or maybe neither.

Thank you so much for this comment. I can relate to so so much of what you have said. It’s almost like you have written it for me. I also have an invisible disability. I look absolutely fine and often get comments like you are looking well. It’s lovely to see you out and about. Blah blah. lol. The reality being I am not well and have had to rest a great deal to be soo heading to what ever activity it is I am about to go and do or have just done. (Like going to the shops or a coffee. As part of my condition I suffer from crippling fatigue amongst many other symptoms. So have spent time resting before and after what ever it is I am doing or have done.

But thank you. I will definitely take on your advice when I do the video call. Let’s hope it lets me. I am in the uk. I don’t travel till September.

Thank you again.

Ps have been to Canadas Wonderland a number of years ago (before I got sick) it was amazing. I am sure it’s changed lots since I was there but we loved Behemoth when we visited.
no problem, glad it helped at least 1 person in some capacity :-)

I’m curious how does theirs vary from the other Cedar Fair Parks?
couldn't tell you, I focus on Canada's Wonderland, and WDW, and USO only, those are the only 3 parks areas I visit in a year, so I tend to only focus on what they offer for accommodations, I have no idea what other parks offer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter