DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Just to clarify, nobody is excluded…if you don’t qualify for DAS or your party is bigger than 4, the person who cannot tolerate lines is able to meet the rest of the family somewhere between the LL return and boarding the ride (it appears to vary by ride).
Someone is very much excluded. If I can't spend the 60 minutes with my family, because I have to sit and wait with my disabled daughter, our family will be separated and myself and my daughter will be excluded and by ourselves possibly half the day

Someone is very much excluded. If I can't spend the 60 minutes with my family, because I have to sit and wait with my disabled daughter, our family will be separated and myself and my daughter will be excluded and by ourselves possibly half the day
Space is limited.

What else can Disney do?

If any brain storming on these boards comes up with a solution to the math problem I am sure all theme parks would be open to it.

For eveyy able-bodied person (not needed as the direct care giver, or a minor) that takes the place of another disabled person. Again it is math, the line doesn’t have infinite room.

No adult able bodied relative/friend of a disabled person (who understand better than most the hardship) after having that explained to them, would want to take up that space in the DAS line.

Its not just “fakers” it’s overall too many people qualifying to be in the line. The only solution is to cut out some that qualify. Starting with able bodied friends/ adult family seems to be the most fair.

I went to Animal Kingdom last night, it was about a 5 in terms of crowd levels. River Rapids was about 40 minutes and FoP was 60 minutes.

I can honestly say that in my 2 years of using DAS last night was the longest I have ever had to wait in a LL (it was for FoP). I think it took at least a half hour and that's about the upper most limits that my party can handle...and I wouldn't call it comfortable. Just wanted to share these first hand observations with the group as I'm on a bit of a goodbye tour of being able to ride things, in the case I am denied for DAS soon.

I went to Animal Kingdom last night, it was about a 5 in terms of crowd levels. River Rapids was about 40 minutes and FoP was 60 minutes.

I can honestly say that in my 2 years of using DAS last night was the longest I have ever had to wait in a LL (it was for FoP). I think it took at least a half hour and that's about the upper most limits that my party can handle...and I wouldn't call it comfortable. Just wanted to share these first hand observations with the group as I'm on a bit of a goodbye tour of being able to ride things, in the case I am denied for DAS soon.
This is how it was for most rides when we last went about 1.5yrs ago. One of the reasons they need the change as the LL lines were too long.

Space is limited.

What else can Disney do?

If any brain storming on these boards comes up with a solution to the math problem I am sure all theme parks would be open to it.

For eveyy able-bodied person (not needed as the direct care giver, or a minor) that takes the place of another disabled person. Again it is math, the line doesn’t have infinite room.

No adult able bodied relative/friend of a disabled person (who understand better than most the hardship) after having that explained to them, would want to take up that space in the DAS line.

It’s not just “fakers” it’s overall too many people qualifying to be in the line. The only solution is to cut out some that qualify. Starting with able bodied friends/ adult family seems to be the most fair.
As we’ve been asked not to speculate, I won’t, other than to say there is LOTS Disney could do to reduce the number of people, including DAS users, in the LLs, if they would get their IT act together.

I think honestly DAS as it exists now needs a name change. It's a marketing issue at the heart of it. It is literally called Disability Access Service. And with this change they are telling a whole lot of disabled people that they are not the right disabled people for this service. I can understand
why it leavess a bad taste in their mouth.

If they would change the name and take away the label disability, then they might not get so much push back from other people that have genuine disabilities and are wondering why they are not "disabled enough" for this. Under the prior system basically if you had any sort of disability you normally got approved. That's on disney. From their own execution they were basically painting the idea that DAS is for those with disabilities and the name of it reflected it.

I'm not saying that they do not deserve the right as a company to modify the service and narrow the scope, but leaving it labeled as disability access and then cutting out a large majority of the disabilities is poor market labeling, and will leave feelings of resentment.

They should reliable DAS as it is to something different based on its narrow service. Then make DAS an overall umbrella program with the relabeled digital queue, RTQ and AQR as sub programs underneath it. Then basically state we match disabled needs to one of our DAS programs based on needs.

I think the labeling and how it is presented matters.

Last edited:
I think you missed my point, I was saying it makes sense the have 4 on the das that can be the person who needs the das plus any 3 others in the party, then on the few attractions where all will want to ride, have AQR work.
I didn't miss the point, I just disagree with it. If AQR can work for the party, then there's no reason to be given DAS at all. That seems to be how they're treating some parties/disabilities but not others. The lack of consistency is a problem.

I think honestly DAS as it exists now needs a name change. It's a marketing issue at the heart of it. It is literally called Disability Access Service. And with this change they are telling a whole lot of disabled people that they are not the right disabled people for this service. I can understand

They should reliable DAS as it is to something different based on its narrow service. Then make DAS an overall umbrella program with the relabeled digital queue, RTQ and AQR as sub programs underneath it. Then basically state we match disabled needs to one of our DAS programs based on needs.

I think you hit the nail on the head re the labeling, and I love your suggestion for DAS as an umbrella term with different accessibility options umbrella'd under it. Now if only Disney would see it.....

If they would change the name and take away the label disability, then they might not get so much push back from other people that have genuine disabilities and are wondering why they are not "disabled enough" for this. Under the prior system basically if you had any sort of disability you normally got approved. That's on disney. From their own execution they were basically painting the idea that DAS is for those with disabilities and the name of it reflected it.

I'm not saying that they do not deserve the right as a company to modify the service and narrow the scope, but leaving it labeled as disability access and then cutting out a large majority of the disabilities is poor market labeling, and will leave feelings of resentment.

Yes I agree! They should have altered the name, even slightly to make it more known that it’s for different reason than the previous DAS.

Mayne call it DQS, Digital Queue Service 🤔. Or DAQ, Digital Access Queue?

Then they can stay in this weird 3 word acronym gimmick they have at going on.

I don't disagree exactly but... it kinda makes it seem like folks feel entitled to it just because the word "disability" is in the name. It rubs me the wrong way.

I don't disagree exactly but... it kinda makes it seem like folks feel entitled to it just because the word "disability" is in the name. It rubs me the wrong way.
As awkward and uncomfortable as it is, there is a good amount of that going on. There are people whose perspective is "I have a disability, so THIS is the accommodation I am entitled to", and that is not always the case.

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest