Danube Cruise Tips - traveling with kids

2PrincesseInTow

Mouseketeer
Hello! I know there have been several trip reports on the Danube cruise so I won't do a full report. Just a thread for tips, impressions, and kid's activities. My family includes me, DH, DD 16, DD 11 and my mom 79.

First, what an amazing family trip this has been. My DD 11 was skeptical about the river cruise, "what! No kid's club" and by day three she said "way better than DCL".

Tips: try to book your chef's table reservation on a night when the ship is sailing. For Budapest departures that is day two. Much more scenic than looking into the back of another boat all night.

Weather... I expected hot and humid. Last week's trip report was very hot weather. 10 day forecast said more of the same for us. We have had pretty amazing weather. Today we were on deck with blankets (lots of blankets!). It was cold. So my tip is, bring a sweater or sweatshirt... I did not.

Kids: there are many activities planned for the kids. Both during excursions and on the ship. The Adventure Guides created a pirate party in the lounge one night, karaoke, on the Wachau Valley sailing afternoon we had an ice cream party, slime making and crafts. The kids who want to eat together in the lounge with a kid's buffet.

Also, our cruise director, Rachel, is awesome with the kids. She has a group of 10-12 year olds "working" with her, making announcements, helping out. The kids love doing it and it makes the cruise even more memorable for them. Rachel even had a scavenger hunt with hidden treats for the kids one day when they returned from excursions. All of the AmaViola staff has been wonderful and great with the kids.

My DD, 16, is enjoying the experiences and appreciates the out of the way stops we've made for example the apricot farm.

I'm so glad we chose this Adventure, it has exceeded my expectations. Our Adventure Guides have been amazing, really wonderful people. If you have questions, I'll be happy to try to answer.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We're headed to the Rhine at Christmas and I'm hoping my DD (then 17) will enjoy herself

My friend and I are headed to the Danube cruise on July 12th (starting in Budapest) so I very much appreciate all the tips posted and recent trip reports posted.

I do have a question about charging my phone and camera, I have an adapter for Europe but do I need a converter or does that depend on my camera (nikon cool pix) and IPhone 6?

I hope it stays on the cool side!

MJ

My friend and I are headed to the Danube cruise on July 12th (starting in Budapest) so I very much appreciate all the tips posted and recent trip reports posted.

I do have a question about charging my phone and camera, I have an adapter for Europe but do I need a converter or does that depend on my camera (nikon cool pix) and IPhone 6?

I hope it stays on the cool side!

MJ
There is one US socket behind the computer. We have a 4 plex expander plugged into it and we are using that to charge everything. We brought an adapter but it must have broken in the luggage. It won't stay plugged into any of the sockets on the ship or the hotel in Budapest. Enjoy your trip!

Random question as we leave in 3 weeks for our trip... is there a clothesline in the bathroom? What was your laundry plan with your kids?

Oh, you are going to have so much fun! It was the best trip for our whole family.

I think there were clothes lines in the bathroom. If you go to the AMA Waterways website you’ll see a lot more information about the ship. As for clothes, we did send a few shirts out to the ship’s cleaning service, it wasn’t horribly expensive. We really didn’t have an issue with clothes needing to be cleaned. The dinners were more casual than I anticipated and the kids often had dinner with the Adventure Guides in the lounge so they didn’t wear a second outfit most days.

Enjoy your trip!

Random question as we leave in 3 weeks for our trip... is there a clothesline in the bathroom? What was your laundry plan with your kids?
The ship's laundry service was excellent, fast and reasonably priced. I used them a couple of times.

Sayhello

We loved Rachel as our cruise manager!

Yes, there's one in the shower.

The ship's laundry service was excellent, fast and reasonably priced. I used them a couple of times.

I did too. I thought the prices were so reasonable, especially for a luxury cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter