Daily Trash Service

Firepath

DIS Veteran
Now that there will be daily trash service, will the trash rooms be going away? When we stayed at SSR earlier this month they picked up our trash the 1st day but not the 2nd day. I had just done a bunch of cooking and had filled the kitchen trash can, so I went looking for the trash room to dump it along with our recycling. I couldn't find it and ran across a housekeeper so I asked her. I'm not sure she understood me completely and said to just leave the bags outside our door. I told her I didn't mind dumping it and I thought it was tacky to leave it outside the door but she never did tell me where the trash room was. They did enter the room and remove trash every day after that.

I don't think that they will go away, we can hope that this will pass and that we will go back to the way it was before. It all depends on the money. What costs Disney more, daily trash or the possibility of a lawsuit if they don't inspect the rooms. For DVC my guess is that the owners are paying for the trash/inspection service.

:earsboy: Bill

BTW the trash room at SSR is on the first floor. There are signs pointing to it.

I doubt that the trash room will go away as housekeeping will use it.

I don't think that they will go away, we can hope that this will pass and that we will go back to the way it was before. It all depends on the money. What costs Disney more, daily trash or the possibility of a lawsuit if they don't inspect the rooms. For DVC my guess is that the owners are paying for the trash/inspection service.

:earsboy: Bill
I was wondering about this. I guess we'll have to look at next years mf increase and the budget to see if there is a greater than inflation increase in cm expenditures.

Being Disney they try to make the best of a daily security check and take out the trash.

In my view, Disney calling it daily trash service is a red herring. It's a daily room security check. Not sure if the trash gets removed every day.

So I totally missed the memo that they were switching to daily trash service but experienced it at Aulani earlier this month. What was super unbelievable was that they would knock and come in (or if you had the door locked knock until you answered it) even if your sign was up. We were sick on this trip and tried to rest in the afternoon's only to be interrupted every afternoon. I would have been really upset if we had kids napping. So what is the story behind the "security check" and what are they checking for?

It's already been established that they will knock or come in whether the sign is up or not.

It's almost certain that this is for insurance liability concerns in the wake of the Vegas shooting.

The Morning of the second day when I left for a park I left a note addressed to housekeeping/security asking for more packets of caffeinated coffee with a tip. The coffee packets were left and the trash and the tip were gone when I returned.

Has anyone had luck asking for them to do it at a certain time, like AM? I do not mind if they come in for whatever reason but I do not want them to wait until we decide to take a break - which is what happened EVERY day on our Aulani trip.

YMMV. Some people have had good luck asking for a range (10-2) by calling Mousekeeping; others haven’t been so lucky

It's not really "trash service", but a daily security check.

And yet they are taking the trash. So it’s both.

Not sure if the trash gets removed every day.

It was for us at gfv.

I’m not happy about it, but it was taken.

It's already been established that they will knock or come in whether the sign is up or not.

Not our experience at gfv this week thank goodness.

It's almost certain that this is for insurance liability concerns in the wake of the Vegas shooting.

And when they do their cursory peek and miss something big they’ll realize it was better to not do anything... To look and miss it is worse than to not look at all.

Has anyone had luck asking for them to do it at a certain time, like AM? I do not mind if they come in for whatever reason but I do not want them to wait until we decide to take a break - which is what happened EVERY day on our Aulani trip.

Front desk at gfv told us to call housekeeping. Only was an oddity one day and we let them know we’d just gotten done with the 10k and they understood and came by later.

It’s not playing out as nicely at other resorts.

Last week at BLT, on our first day, we got a quiet knock at 3pm, while we were all napping/waking up. I went to the door and cracked it (had no pants on!) and told him the kids were napping and handed him some trash. On cue, the 2yo started crying, I told him we were almost always going to be in the room between 1-3 napping. That was the ONLY time we saw anyone - they actually took out the trash most days in the AM while we were out at the parks.

At the Dolphin, I had one afternoon where I was napping with the 2yo and my ODD and DH were at the pool. I had left the door propped so they could come in without waking the 2yo and someone knocked. I just went "sh sh sh" and they went away. They were actually sort of annoying because we never saw them or got a knock any of the other days, and we had "made a green choice," but no one ever took the trash, and we had tiny little baskets and soiled diapers. Yuck.

Does swan/dolphin have the same policy? I stayed at the dolphin for 3 days in January/February and also opted for SPG points in lieu of housekeeping. No knocks but I still got water and coffee service refills. If I was there when those were delivered, I handed my trash to the housekeeper. Otherwise, my trash piled up and although there were several trashcans, they were very small and filled up quickly.

And when they do their cursory peek and miss something big they’ll realize it was better to not do anything... To look and miss it is worse than to not look at all.

tell that to the lawyers.

Swan and Dolphin are not Disney resorts, so the Disney policy wouldn't apply to them, but I don't know what policy Starwood (which I believe is now owned by Marriott) now follows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter