• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Current owners: Do you feel that renters are impacting resort availability?

Unfortunately unless Disney sees it as a major hit to their bottom line they don't care.
My hope is that as demand softens (DVC just launched a new 40% off for your friends! promotion this week), Disney (the hotel side) will have sufficient motivation to crack down because commercial renters are getting $30-40/pt renting AKV and BWV, and that’s money that their “guests” aren’t spending at moderate/deluxe hotels. This will become even more imperative when new PVB owners are furious they can never get standard view rooms in the tower (I assume RIV and CFW are slightly less awful because direct points don’t make sense for commercial rentals…but perhaps the fire sale on OKW will start to cause headaches there as well).

Disney is terrible about spending the extra effort to block scripts that allow people to snag rooms and dining reservations— I’ve heard rumors that some people have scripts for VQs as well. I was going to say that maybe people should have to call for the first 24 hours at the 11mo mark, but I suspect we are already at a point where someone could spin up a network of “virtual assistants” who could competently manage a DVC booking script.

My hope is that as demand softens (DVC just launched a new 40% off for your friends! promotion this week), Disney (the hotel side) will have sufficient motivation to crack down because commercial renters are getting $30-40/pt renting AKV and BWV, and that’s money that their “guests” aren’t spending at moderate/deluxe hotels. This will become even more imperative when new PVB owners are furious they can never get standard view rooms in the tower (I assume RIV and CFW are slightly less awful because direct points don’t make sense for commercial rentals…but perhaps the fire sale on OKW will start to cause headaches there as well).

Disney is terrible about spending the extra effort to block scripts that allow people to snag rooms and dining reservations— I’ve heard rumors that some people have scripts for VQs as well. I was going to say that maybe people should have to call for the first 24 hours at the 11mo mark, but I suspect we are already at a point where someone could spin up a network of “virtual assistants” who could competently manage a DVC booking script.
It would only take for Disney to cancel a a few renters reservations from commercial renters on the day they show up to put a major dent into this activity. Unfortunately the renters are going to get screwed the worst but you can bet they will scream ( and post online ) the loudest, demand reimbursement from the agency for not only the cost of renting the points but they will also want transportation costs and other expenses . Also the owner of those points will have to refund the agency along with their points now going into holding. If the commercial renters felt the negative press they received from how they handled the COVID debacle was bad that will be nothing compared to this.

It would only take for Disney to cancel a a few renters reservations from commercial renters on the day they show up to put a major dent into this activity. Unfortunately the renters are going to get screwed the worst but you can bet they will scream ( and post online ) the loudest, demand reimbursement from the agency for not only the cost of renting the points but they will also want transportation costs and other expenses . Also the owner of those points will have to refund the agency along with their points now going into holding. If the commercial renters felt the negative press they received from how they handled the COVID debacle was bad that will be nothing compared to this.
If Disney were to wait and cancel such reservations out from under an innocent renter on the day of arrival, it would be a disaster for Disney and DVC owners, Disney would once again face a world of bad publicity once the bloggosphere got hold of the story, and normal everyday DVC Owners that are trying to rent out a few rxtra points would see their rental prices pl;ummet so as not to even cover the dues on those points. So no, that is a terrible idea, IMO. DVC would need to inform the owners that controls such reservations well in advance.

There is no quick and easy solution that doesn't ultimately harm the reputation of DVC, Disney World, and general DVC Ownership.

At the end of the day, whether we like it or not, these commercial renters bought DVC like you and I and deserve to book these rooms. Now on the other hand, if they're using some accessory program to gain an advantage and running scripts to book value rooms that's a different story. It should violate the TOS in some form. I'm not sure what the legality of it would be though, maybe instead of being able to book online, being forced to call in to book reservations at 11 months instead. I'm just thinking out loud here. However, if they are legitimately going through the website like everyone else, it's in their right to book a value studio every single day if they so please.

There is no quick and easy solution that doesn't ultimately harm the reputation of DVC, Disney World, and general DVC Ownership.

Burn it to the ground, I say. Since when has Disney let bad publicity get in the way of improving their bottom line? Hello resale restrictions.

Burn it to the ground, I say. Since when has Disney let bad publicity get in the way of improving their bottom line? Hello resale restrictions.
But again, it could have devastating effects on the DVC Member that needs to occasionally rent out a few use or lose points, if poitential renters lose trust that a reservation will be there. It's not like the cash rooms that have a real cancellation policy,
And even the resale market when a member decides to sell a contract so be very careful what you wish for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter