• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

credit cards

ls1222

DIS Veteran
We are trying to decide how much cash to bring, we would really prefer to charge whatever we can (pay off when we get home) so we didnt have to carry so much cash. But, does alot of the places in WDW accept credit cards? Does the resort POR accept cc at the food court? Thanks.

I think you can use a CC everywhere except the pressed penny machines! Seriously :)

I'm sure the fast food restaurants and food courts will except a CC, we always charge to our room key and they use the same machine.

I forgot about the room key!! So your saying you can use the room key just about everywhere? Do you just pay your room key balance at check out? Thanks again.

Yep, you can use your room key and the charges will appear on your statement at checkout. It will include charges for items purchased at the shops and restaurants (including the resort food courts and park counter service restaurants). I think the only places that don't accept them are the "carts" that set up around the parks (that sell things like ice cream bars, small souveniers, etc.)

Just about every place you go will take your room key. The carts don't, and there a few more stationary stands that look like they'd take them but don't. I know that Trapper Bob's in the Canada pavillion looks like they'd take them, but they don't.

You don't have to technically check out when you give the front desk a credit card at check in. The morning of the day you check out, they'll slide a list of all your charges (in the parks and from the room, like phone charges) under your door. If you don't have any problems with it, just leave. They'll charge all of the charges to your credit card. (They don't make individual charges until the day you leave or until you reach $1000 in charges at the moderates, whichever comes first. If you go over $1000, they'll charge the credit card and then start you back at zero.) A few things that you buy at Guest Services, like park tickets, will be charged to your credit card immediately.

or maybe not understanding exactly what a cart is....but, I think most of the carts will take a room key. Souvenier carts that is. The small snack carts, popcorn and ice cream venders probably don't. Also the folks who sell the light up toys at night and balloons, don't. But I know I used my room key to buy items at EPCOT (those balloon ball thingys), at MK at a pin cart on Main street and at AK, I also used my card at the small pin kiosk in the WL lobby....just about any cart that has a real cash register should take a room key...
This was a year ago, though, maybe things haved changed...

Originally posted by Kermit
They'll charge all of the charges to your credit card. (They don't make individual charges until the day you leave or until you reach $1000 in charges at the moderates, whichever comes first. If you go over $1000, they'll charge the credit card and then start you back at zero.) A few things that you buy at Guest Services, like park tickets, will be charged to your credit card immediately.

How much to the hotels put on as a tempory hold on funds on your credit card. is it $1,000. I know car rental companys have the practice of puting the full rental charge at time of car pick up. This could limit your spended limits on tour card depending on what is your outstanding credit limit on your card.

They don't put a hold on any of it. They'll run a test $1 transaction to make sure the card isn't stolen, but then they trust that you have however much money you're going to charge.

Sorry to throw a question in on your thread.

If I use my check card or a credit card at check-in can I pay with a check at check-out?

Thanks everyone!!!! This will help me decide how much cash to take. I didnt realize that just about every place will accept credit card/room key. - Chellnjr - I'm not sure about that. Or just let them charge the credit card and then use your check to pay it off when you get home!! Thanks again.

If you don't want your card to be charged, you should stop by and pay your balance the last night before you check out so that the transaction doesn't go through before you get there in the morning. Also, they'll charge your card once you reach a preset amount depending on your resort. I believe it's $500 for values, $1000 for moderates, and $1500 for deluxes, but I may be $500 low for each category. In any case, you'll need to take care of the charges before you reach that amount because they'll do one batch transaction when you get there.

When we were at MGM in June, I waited for 15-20 minutes in a line up at the top of Fantasmic, to get supper for my very hungry family to eat while we waited for Fantasmic. Having had an "issue" two years before over the inability of some carts at MGM to take my room charge, and having discussed it with a CM who told me that soon all carts with electricity (read: electric cash registers) would be able to take room charges (and presumably other credit cards), I observed while waiting in said line for 15-20 minutes, that these stands did "indeed" have electric cash registers. When it was my turn, I ordered and then produced my room charge. I was told, "We cannot accept room charges." At that point all I did was ask the CM, "If I go back to my seat and get cash from my husband (sorry, I didn't have the $25-30 that 4 hotdogs, and sodas were going to cost<g>), may I come back up to your register and not have to wait again in such a long line?" The CM said, "No." At that point I asked to speak to a manager. To tell the whole story, there "is" a small sign (maybe 2x4 inches) stating "no credit cards" on the front on the cash registers, but they are certainly not noticeable from the back of a long line, and when you get close you have to be looking right at it to notice it. There is certainly no sign hanging from the top of the stands where the menus are listed which says "no credit cards", or at least there weren't when we were there in June- the manager I spoke to told me that he would make sure that something was done about it. He "did" let me go to my seat and get my cash, and then go to the head of the line, but by that time I had already waited quite a while. What he explained was, yes the cash registers are electric, but they are unable to run the cable necessary to authorize credit transactions, under the concrete on which these stands sit.

So, this is one place where you might think credit cards are taken, but they are not.

Michelle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter