CPAP advice please

Belle1962

DIS Veteran
i picked up my CPAP machine before Thanksgiving but am just now getting ready to use it. (a million excuses for not starting right away). I have the Resmed unit and the Simplus full face mask. So today I had a hard time putting the mask/headgear on. My hair is down to my waist and kept getting caught up in everything. I finally pulled it into a ponytail to do the head gear fit.

This is a several part question:

-Do you use one of those clean machines like I see advertised?
-if not, how long does it take to wash your pieces every day? I get up at 4:45 am and even adding 15 minutes to my morning is enough for me to not want to do this therapy.
- a woman at my PT’s office said she only cleans once a week and hasn’t ever had a problem. But she does wipe down the nose piece every day.

I guess basically I’m asking for advice on using one of those machines and how often I really need to clean hoses.

Thank you.

I have talked to other people who say they've almost never cleaned the hoses. I believe the paperwork I received from the medical supply company said to wash it either once a week or once every other week. That said I definitely go more like a month. The cushion that goes on my face I have to at least wipe daily and it's best if I wash it twice a week. The water chamber varies. As long as it's getting dumped each morning it doesn't seem to need it that often. I probably do that once a month as well unless I've been sick or something. When sick I'll wash it more.

I have never used the cleaning machines. It's extremely expensive and I've read a lot of reports that it leaves an odor in the equipment that some find bothersome.

While my hair isn't that long I find it works best if I put it up in a bun or ponytail to sleep. Otherwise the headgear seems to slip around too much.

Hope that helps and good luck! It can be a little tough to get used to, but it does get easier.

I put my hair up in a satin cap to sleep, and then adjust my mask over it (I don't have the full face mask, though - too cumbersome for me). I hang my hoses out to dry every day and wipe out the water reservoir, but I only wash the hoses every week. I wipe down the mask part every day. It doesn't take me too long - maybe an extra few minutes every morning?

It took me a couple weeks to get used to wearing the machine, but it's made a huge difference in my life. I have a lot more energy (because I'm actually sleeping!) and I don't wake up with headaches every day. If you're having issues, I'd just try to wear it as long as possible every night - the first week or so I only managed 3-4 hours a night, but I was able to work up to wearing it all night. One thing that made a big difference for me was turning off the ramp up time and turning off the temperature control (I didn't like how muggy the air was), but everybody's different.

I have the so clean machine and think it is worth it - I was terrible about cleaning my mask and tubing. With the so clean after set up all you do is put the mask in the machine or set the timer and it will start automatically
Med spending does reimburse for the machine if you have that benefit

I cannot help with the hair issue as I am old, male, and nearly bald.

However, I have been using a CPAP for years now. My practice is to wipe the cushion and the plastic piece it snaps into daily, clean the hose once a week as well as check/replace filters. I also sanitize the water chamber weekly. The filters are the parts that can be easily neglected as they are small and out of the way. I have a Resmed unit too and have never considered one of those cleaning units mostly due to the cost.

I found a container of CPAP wipes at a mobility store when I was looking for EVC ramps after my last surgery. I don't know if there is anything that is different about them or that they are that much different from the wipes I was using. However, they do not leave any odor and clean the cushion and plastic parts so I will keep using them.

My issue is with the stretch strap that holds the mask and cushion in place. I would get a better seal if I shaved off my beard (yeah, like that's ever going to happen) but the strap is not very good at keeping the mask in place unless I over tighten it which I won't do. Also, they lose their "stretchability" rather quickly.

My CPAP has made a significant difference in my quality of life for several years once I got past the break in period. It will an adjustment but one that is worth it IMHO.

Slightly OT - but when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in the very early 90s (when no one had ever heard of it) CPAP and then later BIPAP did not work for me. I used it religiously. I never once pulled it off or cheated.

I was so fortunate that I lived near Stanford University - at that time the epi-center of sleep issues. I had surgery to correct the problem which worked beautifully. It was not just the removal of the uvula and tonsils like many doctors tried. My tongue was moved forward. It was brutal surgery, and I was in ICU for two days - but oh was it worth it. The two doctors who did my surgery invented it. They were not in my insurance network so I had to pay quite a bit out of pocket, but I'm so glad that I did it.

I've been surprised that none of this has caught on at all - even 25 years later. My current doctor in New Orleans had never heard of it. And she's a part time professor at a major medical school who keeps up with things. My doctors and the doctors they have trained have an almost 90% success rate.

I'll chime in to say that many who do not clean regularly find themselves getting terrible sinus infections.

We use two sets of everything with our cpap. Then, you can set up your own time schedule, day or night to clean. We clean often; my husband did get sinus infections until we set up using 2 sets of hoses, etc.

My cousin, who is a doctor, describes not using a cpap when you need one in layman's term as your heart will turn to rock. No thanks.

There are some surgical options and even a dental surgical option, but you could have a hard time getting those procedures covered by insurance. Many of those surgical procedures have poor results. For those who are blessed with it working, you are among the lucky ones.

i picked up my CPAP machine before Thanksgiving but am just now getting ready to use it. (a million excuses for not starting right away). I have the Resmed unit and the Simplus full face mask. So today I had a hard time putting the mask/headgear on. My hair is down to my waist and kept getting caught up in everything. I finally pulled it into a ponytail to do the head gear fit.

This is a several part question:

-Do you use one of those clean machines like I see advertised?
-if not, how long does it take to wash your pieces every day? I get up at 4:45 am and even adding 15 minutes to my morning is enough for me to not want to do this therapy.
- a woman at my PT’s office said she only cleans once a week and hasn’t ever had a problem. But she does wipe down the nose piece every day.

I guess basically I’m asking for advice on using one of those machines and how often I really need to clean hoses.

Thank you.

Clean everything daily - like @Bete above said, you can get a nasty sinus infection (minimally) from an unclean CPAP.

My hubs cleans everything in the morning, before he goes to work. Once he got used to it (and - to be honest, we rearranged some stuff in our bathroom to make it easier and more efficient) he now has that part of his morning routine down to about 20 minutes.

The results, however, are *so* worth the extra 20 minutes every morning. He sleeps SO much better - and has so much more energy during the day. He doesn't nod off after dinner every night, or any time he sits still for more than 5 minutes, like he used to. And he went from having multiple sinus infections and upper respiratory infections every year to an average of less than one per year. Needless to say, both his doctor and I are quite well pleased.

It takes a bit of work, but a clean CPAP can make such a great difference in your life. Anytime you think about skipping or skimping on the cleaning, just remember - that's the air you breathe. Make it as clean and safe as you can.

i picked up my CPAP machine before Thanksgiving but am just now getting ready to use it. (a million excuses for not starting right away).
Thank you.
Like others have said, a thorough cleaning once a week or so. I like to wipe out the mask with a bit of rubbing alcohol on a paper towel every other day or so. Not so much as a disinfectant, but the alcohol cuts and removes any skin oils I might leave behind. Soap and water would work just as well but then you have to dry it and ... I usually don't think about it until it's time for bed so the alcohol (or sometimes gin) works fine and dries fast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter