• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

cough medicine for little one on flight

alexandra uk

DIS Veteran
I remember reading a thread about someone who had given their little one cough medicine just before the flight, and apparently the baby slept for best part of the journey :D
Well we have a 9-10 hour flight from the UK ( which i'm dreading ), so I am thinking about doing the same with my 14 month old ds.
Does anyone know which medicine would be the best ?

:jester: :jester: 128 to go:jester: :jester:

Hi Alexandra! What a long flight!!! Is there a medicine that you give your DS that makes him sleepy? Different things affect different children. Our Dr. told me to give my son something, and it would knock him out, instead he climbed the walls!! My DD takes Children's Tylenol and sleeps for an hour! It probably doesn't matter, except something with a pain reliever might help in your DS develops pressure in his ears. Good luck andf have a safe and happy trip over the pond!!:Pinkbounc

Ummm, I personally wouldn't recommend drugging your child so they would sleep. From personal experience and from what I have heard often from other people, I think kids tend to be more prone to sleeping on flights anyway. (the altitude?)

Every child is different and I personally would not give my child any unnecessary medication on a flight. You never know how they will react to it. Once my daughter was given Tylenol with Codine for and extrememly painful ear infection, the Dr. said it would help her sleep at night. Instead she acted like she was totally buzzed, she flew threw the night, racing around, singing etc... Needless to say we never gave her that again, thank goodness we were in our own home not confined on an airplane!;)

What about some non- drug ideas in case you decide to not go that route.Bet others can add some more.

1. Fun shape snacks that can add play value and fill up little tummies.EX. fish crackers, teddy grahams, aminal crackers, fruit chews in Disney shapes, any fun shaped cookie or crackers, things to dip such as pretzels in peanut butter.
Make sure to have lots of drinks and a bottle or sippy cup for take off and landings.

2. A magna doodle. Lot of fun drawing over and over.

3.Restickable stickers for the window or plane tray or take your own surface.

4.A toddler friendly CD or tape player with kid frindly tapes. (if you think he will wear the head phones)

5.Lots of story books to read to him.Plan to spend most of the flight keeping him happy.

Also buy him a seat and take his car seat. Take along his blanket or sleep toy to enourage a nap.

If you choose to medicate call your doctor as to what to give your child and how much. I have also had medications react in way that I did not expect.I would try out a medication that the Doctor recomands at home before you go!

Personally, I am alright with giving a medication to a little one for a flight. My nephews (twin boys approx 12 months old at the time) were given some cough medicine for a trip from the US to Africa. It made a much more enjoyable flight for the kids, my sister-in-law, and the adults sitting nearby. The pediatrician recommended giving the boys a dose a week before the flight to see their reactions as it is true, some cold medicines make people hyper rather than tired. The flight was a peaceful one for everyone.

I can't recall which medication my nephews got but I imagine your pediatrician can suggest an appropriate one.

Good Luck!

hi - we didn't give our children medicine to make them sleep - we gave them benadryl (an antihistimine/decongestant) to help them with their ears - (it was hard to get them to swallow - even with juices because the flight attendants had problems with food out at that time) when they were real little - they did sleep - but now they just mellow out - but it's like when they tell older people to take baby aspirin for clot prevention on long trips - it's just medication to assist on a long flight -

We did Sudafed for the ears, and it had the added side effect of drowsiness. Dramamine for motion sickness can also make them drowsy. Our pharmacist or pediatrician (I forget who I asked) said it was OK to give them both together. Double check with yours to be sure, though. (It's been a while, and I'm not a doctor, :-), so don't take my word for it!)

I have travelled from London to NY ever since mine were babies both are now 10 & 6. I did find that the cough syprup worked BUT only SOMETIMES. Try calpol or sudafed. but remember at lot of them now a day's are NON DROWSY.

My advice to you would be to pre-book a bulkhead seat that way you can lay her/him down stretch your legs without disturbance.

Bring something for security, fav blanket, teddy, doll. (dont wash before you leave)

I found that gentle stroking on the outer ear with a cotton bud/Q-tip (never in the ear canal) will send them off in no time.

You are not tied to you seat so I dont see why you cant walk up and down the aisle a few time's with some gentle rocking.

Have you looked into aromatherapy oil? (lavender, springs to mind) Maybe a few dab's on a hankie or bib might work. Or even as a mini massage. Before you buy alway's ask as im not sure if they are all suitable for kid's that young.

Not sure if your still breast/bottle feeding but to me that is the best way to get them off into the land of nod,

Remember you are travelling from the UK, They will have a very, very early start and a long day. Guarenteed some sleep on the flight.

I have travelled from London to NY ever since mine were babies both are now 10 & 6. I did find that the cough syprup worked BUT only SOMETIMES. Try calpol or sudafed. but remember at lot of them now a day's are NON DROWSY.

My advice to you would be to pre-book a bulkhead seat that way you can lay her/him down stretch your legs without disturbance.

Bring something for security, fav blanket, teddy, doll. (dont wash before you leave)

I found that gentle stroking on the outer ear with a cotton bud/Q-tip (never in the ear canal) will send them off in no time.

You are not tied to you seat so I dont see why you cant walk up and down the aisle a few time's with some gentle rocking.

Have you looked into aromatherapy oil? (lavender, springs to mind) Maybe a few dab's on a hankie or bib might work. Or even as a mini massage. Before you buy alway's ask as im not sure if they are all suitable for kid's that young.

Not sure if your still breast/bottle feeding but to me that is the best way to get them off into the land of nod,

Remember you are travelling from the UK, They will have a very, very early start and a long day. They will get some sleep on the flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter