Cooking turkey in a bag, yes or no?

njsweetP

DIS Veteran
I host Thanksgiving every year and have never cooked the turkey in a Reynold's oven bag. Will the bird darken? Is it better to cook in the bag vs not? All this talk about Thanksgiving and cooking techiniques has me intrigued. Please tell me your hints/secrets/best advice for cooking the turkey in a bag. Thank you !!
(I will be cooking two 13-15 lb birds)

I personally would never cook my turkey or anything for that matter in a plastic bag. I know they say they are safe, but I would not be able to eat something that was cooked in a plastic bag. :sick: I vote for good ole fashion roasting pan.

I ALWAYS use a Reynold cooking bag! The turkeys stay moist and it browns beautifully!

I usually do. My niece has ciliacs and I can't do that when she is over (flour in the bag) so I am doing something different this year.

Just a little fun fact: my Dad was on the team that helped develop these cooking bags way back when. :thumbsup2

YES, Always!!! Cooks faster too!

That's my preferred method of cooking turkey. It always comes out perfectly cooked and juicy. I follow the instructions on the box: add the flour, coat the bird with vegetable oil to brown the skin, plus I add chopped onion and celery and place the turkey on top. :thumbsup2 I also brine the turkey the night before.

I think you'll be impressed with the results. :thumbsup2

The bags do a wonderful job. If you do find that it isn't browned enough for you, you can split open the top of the bag at the very end so that the top and sides brown. Don't pull it down too far because you don't want all the juice to escape (and you will have a ton of it) but just enough to get the skin darkened up and crispy.

I use the bag! You cut little vents in it and put flour in the bag. It comes out lovely and cooks quicker. Oh, I just cook a breast, there are only 2 of us.

Roasting pan, but cook breast side down for about 1/2 the time. Then turn it over (this can get tricky). Browns like normal, but white meat is more moist from juices running through.

Roaster bags are good for a wild turkey--skin it and lay bacon strips across it. Served this to my "city folk" relatives and they were down to gnawing the bones!:lmao:

Absolutely use a bag. It isn't boiled/steamed. Ours has always gotten a nice dark golden brown, I dont believe boiling or steaming produces dark golden brown...unless, burnt!

Ick, no. A turkey should be roasted, not steamed, and certainly not steamed in plastic.

Bag. I usually cram as much stuffing as I can in, and the bag helps keep it in place. I like the shortened cooking time as well.

I agree!

I personally would never cook my turkey or anything for that matter in a plastic bag. I know they say they are safe, but I would not be able to eat something that was cooked in a plastic bag. :sick: I vote for good ole fashion roasting pan.

I really, really don't care for turkey, so over the years I've tried every cooking method I've heard about in hopes of "liking" it. Some of the cooking boards I post on were insisting you got a much better tasting bird with certain roasting pans. I spent BIG bucks hoping one of them would make a difference. No! Finally broke down and tried a roasting bag (rolling my eyes as I did) and it was the best yet. By far! Now I use those expensive roasting pans to decorate shelves in my pantry.

Ick, no. A turkey should be roasted, not steamed, and certainly not steamed in plastic.

I guess you have never used a cooking bag, it is not steamed. You would have to add a lot of water to steam it. The cooking bag concentrates the heat and cooks the turkey faster.

I always use a cooking bag, I've done frozen and fresh turkeys that way. I usually get a Honeysuckle White, it is always moist, tender and juicy.

I have also cooked hams in a cooking bag.

I ALWAYS use a Reynold cooking bag! The turkeys stay moist and it browns beautifully!

Me too! I also find it cooks faster so if you use one, check it about half an hour to an hour (depending on the size of the turkey) before your normally would so as not to overcook and dry it out.

I guess you have never used a cooking bag, it is not steamed. You would have to add a lot of water to steam it. The cooking bag concentrates the heat and cooks the turkey faster.

I always use a cooking bag, I've done frozen and fresh turkeys that way. I usually get a Honeysuckle White, it is always moist, tender and juicy.

I have also cooked hams in a cooking bag.

Adding to what Marybet said, you can actually use a large paper grocery bag and get the same results as the plastic baking bags. A local radio host is always reccommending this method.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest