Conversation with my DH regarding DCL

I have never visited studios so I can't compare. I live in a tiny house so I guess my tolerance to small spaces is greater than most people...

Can't you pick the kind of cabin you want when you sail solo? I mean, chose between a studio and a regular cabin?

Well, yes. But the studio (where in all the pictures the bed is crammed up under the "window" and there is at best a foot around it) is the only one with a solo fare. A regular cabin would be at usually 200% of the per person rate. That's what I meant - I would rather pay that and have a normal cabin than the discounted rate and have that coffin.

The 100% supplement is a killer, but cruising DCL solo is fantastic. On my sailing there were only two other solo folks I knew of--one I hung out with at Bingo; the other was my table mate. There's a Cruising Solo lunch on the first full day if you want to meet people.

Well, yes. But the studio (where in all the pictures the bed is crammed up under the "window" and there is at best a foot around it) is the only one with a solo fare. A regular cabin would be at usually 200% of the per person rate. That's what I meant - I would rather pay that and have a normal cabin than the discounted rate and have that coffin.

Ohhhhhhh. I see. In a way I can understand that they want to sail at full capacity but it doesn't leave much choice for solo cruisers.

My DH loves DCL...He would much rather the cruise than WDW...thinks WDW is too much work lol!! I never have to convince him much. He's easy to please...a few cigars, great service and we are all set!

Happy Wife...Happy Life...and luckily DCL keeps us both happy!

Only if they are larger than the coffins the studio cabins other lines have. No way am I subjecting myself to that. I will happily pay more for a more decent sized cabin.

Are they really that much smaller than your apartment in NYC?

I've pushed the idea of a solo cruise to my husband and suddenly, he wants to come too. :P
Smart man.

Usually when my wife proposes something that I don’t really care for but know I’m doing it anyway I put up similar resistance before giving in. Unless it’s going to China. Never going back outside of HK and Macau

I wanted to be able to say I did the 6 pack, but now that they will have seven I need a new fun phrase:)
Super 7? The heptathlon? Secret Seven? Seven Stars?

Luckily my husband and I have similar vacation taste. He loves DCL. My vacation budget keeps creeping up and when I ask him if its ok his standard reply is "ask my accountant." It's a running joke since I'm an accountant.

I do agonize over expensive trips but in the end they are fabulous and sooo worth it!

Luckily my husband and I have similar vacation taste. He loves DCL. My vacation budget keeps creeping up and when I ask him if its ok his standard reply is "ask my accountant." It's a running joke since I'm an accountant.

I do agonize over expensive trips but in the end they are fabulous and sooo worth it!

I agree. (And I love your running joke).

We have the same vacation tastes but he doesn't care enough for the Mouse to pay for DCL prices. He loves it, even though he doesn't like to admit it. (And he'll whine a lot but in the end, he'll come with me. LOL)

Our vacation end up costing almost the same even when we sail with non-DCL cruise lines because the money saved gives me "leverage" to pay for all the extras I tend to add to the cruise itself: deluxe hotels before the cruise (club level), theme parks, excursions, cabanas, soft drinks package, specialty dining, Faster to the Fun or The Key, etc.

We were starting to get bored on our last DCL cruise because of the repetition (2×Dream, 1xWonder)... But I believe the new/bigger ships will bring new experiences so I'm hoping that life gives us the opportunity to try at least one of them. :)

Last edited:
Yep. I am in a 1-bedroom. But even the tiny studio behind me has more room than the studio "cabins" on ships. You're talking like 100 square feet for those things.

Oh it's not as bad as I thought. Our previous bedroom was 90 sqf. I'd be fine for a week as long as there's a window somewhere. :)

Smart man.

Usually when my wife proposes something that I don’t really care for but know I’m doing it anyway I put up similar resistance before giving in. Unless it’s going to China. Never going back outside of HK and Macau

Super 7? The heptathlon? Secret Seven? Seven Stars?

He'll come around. ;) I'm working on a strategy.

I am a single mom although in a relationship with a man who hates Disney.

Sometimes I have fantasies about taking a solo trip or cruise. But my Disney-loving child might never forgive me and not only would I be in for the 100% markup on a single, I'd be in for the therapy bills to deal with it as well.

If I've gotta pay it anyway I might as well take him along ;)

Oh it's not as bad as I thought. Our previous bedroom was 90 sqf. I'd be fine for a week as long as there's a window somewhere. :)

It is a fake window to an interior corridor. No outside views.

Would have worked for me regardless. :)

It may have to if I end up doing the Hawaii Cruise (on NCL - blech...I do not see freestyle and food allergies working well) and Aulani combo I am pondering to make it really work financially. But not thrilled with the idea.

It may have to if I end up doing the Hawaii Cruise (on NCL - blech...I do not see freestyle and food allergies working well) and Aulani combo I am pondering to make it really work financially. But not thrilled with the idea.

I understand. I don't know... I feel like using a not-so-perfect room can be okay (you simply use it like "a base camp") if the itinerary is important.

This pretty much sums it up for us as well. DH has learned to tolerate my obsession with all types of vacation planning (not just cruises) as it leads to great fun in the end for all of us. But he does have to sit through my numerous options / scenarios / spreadsheet comparisons, etc. etc. Sometimes I suspect he's trained himself to doze off with his eyes open :goodvibes. After 34 years of marriage, you just do what ya gotta do!!
This is hilarious! My husband asked me if I wrote this because it is us EXACTLY! Including the years married:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter