Considering purchasing Riviera direct or a resale somewhere else (BWV most likely) Help!

I’m consistently amazed how often some will say they expect to keep contracts to expiration and don’t care about resale value. Have to wonder how many sellers on the resale market felt the same way in the beginning? I can’t operate like that - have to have an exit strategy for any financial decision.

Yeah! I mean… that’s… me too!

I don’t think everyone who isnt concerned about resale value intends to keep forever…but rather that they see whatever resale value exists as a bonus when and if they want or need to sell.

When we bought, we could give our contract away at 10 years and still have enjoyed our Disney vacations for less than cash. If we sold at 50% purchase price, we were in the good at just 5 years.

If we had to sell prior tbat, it would mean something else unexpected was going on and how much we got back would probably be the least of our concerns,

I have bought and sold a bit and now own RIV…direct and resale. Based on the benefit of trips I have gotten out of those points, I could sell today at a loss and still come out ahead.

I just think there are too many variables in the market and in the control of DVD that expecting or even needing to get X back can be risky, The one thing we do know is that as long as WDW exists and cash prices exist, DVC contracts will sell for more than $0.

But, I do get that for some they cant accept resale restrictions snd the potential impact it might have.

Last edited:
When we bought, we could give our contract away at 10 years and still have enjoyed our Disney vacations for less than cash. If we sold at 50% ourchsse price, we were in the good at just 5 years.
This is was our thought process. As long as we could give it away if needed after we have paid for our vacations, recouped our money and had a few years of additional savings on vacations we would be okay with that.

I don’t think everyone who isnt concerned about resale value intends to keep forever…but rather that they see whatever resale value exists as a bonus when and if they want or need to sell.

When we bought, we could give our contract away at 10 years and still have enjoyed our Disney vacations for less than cash. If we sold at 50% ourchsse price, we were in the good at just 5 years.

If we had to see prior tbat, it would mean something else unexpected was going on and how much we got back would probably be the least of our concerns,

I have bought and sold a bit and now own RIV…direct and resale. Based on the benefit of trips I have gotten out of those points, I could sell today at a loss and still come out ahead.

I just think there are too many variables in the market and in the control of DVD that expecting or even needing to get X back can be risky, The one thing we do know is that as long as WDW excises, and cash prices exist, DVC contracts will sell for more than $0.

But, I do get that for some they cant accept resale restrictions snd the potential impact it might have.
I'm planning to make my purchase in a way that makes resale easier (multiple smaller contracts, add in a fixed week) but that's not at all because I'm planning to sell. But, if I ever decide to sell at some point, I'd rather spend a little extra now (extra closing costs, mostly, since I can always cancel the fixed week) to make selling easier tomorrow. DVC is not an investment, it's just a way to reduce the price of future vacations I'm planning to take anyway and (if buying direct) get a few extras thrown in for fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter