CONFESS your DUH moment at a theme park or WDW vacation

Bostonbeans99

DIS Veteran
We all get so excited to go to our favorite theme park or plan our vacation that we have memory loss or a "brain fart" as some people call it.
Please share yours to help others not make the same mistake or to just laugh a bit. :joker:

Here's my most recent ones.....In 2016 we went to MK and it was literally day 7 of our 8 day trip before I remembered the train takes you back to Adventureland/Frontierland. I was like DUH! How could I have forgotten that?

So then in Feb 2017 I was bound and determined to not have the same duh moment and of course...it was closed due to refurbishment. :tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

My other duh moment was putting the kids (they were 17,18, 22) at POR and myself & my husband at WL then breaking my arm at MK first day. I should have asked guest services to put my whole family together at the same hotel to make it easier so my daughter could have helped me to curl my hair etc. It never crossed my mind until we got home from vacation. DUH on me.

I have been to Disney numerous times since 1972, and in 2017 was the first time I did COP and People Movers. Duh, how could I have missed those?!

In 2003 I thought Astro Orbiter was the new Buzz Lightyear ride. (Now really how could I have thought that??? ) It took me 14 years to confess that one. I made it up to my kids in 2017...we rode it 5 times. lol

So have you had any Duh moments worth learning from or sharing with us?

I didn’t know the Epcot ball was a ride until we entered the line for Spaceship Earth. Imagine my surprise. I always thought it was just decorative.

Very first visit we took the bus from CBR to MK to hop on the monorail and visit resorts since we didn’t have park tickets the first day. Once there we assumed we couldn’t get past security without tickets therefore couldn’t get on the monorail. We panicked and jumped on the first bus we saw which was Wilderness Lodge. Then took the bus at WL to DS. Most inefficient use of time ever. But it was kind of a blessing because we loved WL and stayed there on our next trip. And it taught us how transportation works for future visits.

We listened to those who said 'don't take your kids to Epcot, they won't enjoy it' .... so we didn't go to Epcot until about our 5th annual Disney World trip and they LOVED EPCOT and so did we. DUH, why did we wait so long? In fact, we love to stay at Beach Club resort because we have such easy access to our favourite park! Soarin', Spaceship Earth, Ellen (yes we love Ellen), World Showcase (esp Japan)... love Epcot!

My family went on Mission Space so I said I'd meet them at the exit. I decided to hightail it over to Mexico for a margarita first and on my return, I accidentally waited at the Test Track exit. It took me awhile to figure it out and find them.

It was a good margarita though. :teeth:

That is sooo funny! I too have waited at what I thought was the end of a ride or an exit and realized DUH, I was on the wrong side.

When my kids were at POR and my husband & I were at WL....they took a taxi twice and let the driver drop them off at Ft Wilderness. The first time they walked around a bit thinking hmmmm this doesn't look familiar...............lol

In 2003 I thought Astro Orbiter was the new Buzz Lightyear ride.

At Disneyland during our second day trip, I went off to do something while my son (then 2) and his dad went off to ride astro orbiter. As far as I knew that’s what they did.

A few months later my son starts talking about “blasters” (though he was little so it was “bwaster”). then we went again a year later for a proper trip, and as Buzz went walking by us my son was calling out, in his little kid speech, “asronaut! asronaut!”

He hadn’t seen Toy Story, so I was soooo confused.

And that’s when his dad confessed that they’d gotten in the wrong line and they rode AstroBlasters instead.

So you are not alone.

I remember the meet Ariel part of the park from the late 90's ('97) to be exact....where they used to have the water that would pop out of the concrete etc and your child could meet & pose with Ariel at scheduled times.

So then the ride Under the Sea premiered in Dec 2012.....I always walked by it thinking it was just a "meet Ariel character spot".......and my daughter is grown now....DUH I didn't realize it was an actual ride until our 2017 vacation. :rolleyes1

On our last two trips I accidentally led us into the meet Ariel line instead of the Little Mermaid ride. lol

Great thread, and I just remembered this one:
My husband, me, and our grown daughter were at Toy Story Mania to use our fast passes. We had just changed them earlier. When we got to the mickey head, ours turned blue. We all said we didn't know what happened as we swear we just changed them. The regular line was very long, and we were upset that it didn't register on TSM mickey head. Well, with a line behind us, we were embarrassed. The CM told us to sing ANY Disney song and we could go in the fast pass line. We all looked at each other, and do you know we could not think of one!!!!! Really, at Disney with songs all around us and NOTHING. You've Got a Friend would have been perfect. LOL. After an embarrassing few moments, my daughter started singing "It's a Small World", and she let us in while shaking her head. I know she told the other CM's about these dummies who could not think of any Disney song for quite a while. So embarrassing, and DUH.

Great thread, and I just remembered this one:
My husband, me, and our grown daughter were at Toy Story Mania to use our fast passes. We had just changed them earlier. When we got to the mickey head, ours turned blue. We all said we didn't know what happened as we swear we just changed them. The regular line was very long, and we were upset that it didn't register on TSM mickey head. Well, with a line behind us, we were embarrassed. The CM told us to sing ANY Disney song and we could go in the fast pass line. We all looked at each other, and do you know we could not think of one!!!!! Really, at Disney with songs all around us and NOTHING. You've Got a Friend would have been perfect. LOL. After an embarrassing few moments, my daughter started singing "It's a Small World", and she let us in while shaking her head. I know she told the other CM's about these dummies who could not think of any Disney song for quite a while. So embarrassing, and DUH.
. Ha,that's pretty funny........ I would have belted out whistle while you work :rolleyes1

I didn't do this but my dad did. My dad was a heavy set guy so he needed a motor scooter to get around the park. His scooter was never really a hassle, only a tool to get on rides faster. So back to the story, we were at MGM (yes I still call it MGM) nd we had to use the restrooms, as you do when you travel with 5 people. We were at the popcorn stand between the old America Idol Experience and One Man's Dream (this story took place in 2010ish) and decided to take a leak in the restrooms down the stairs. So we all walked down the stairs. Let me repeat that, we ALL walked down the stairs... you may be asking, how did your dad walk down the stairs if he was in a motor scooter? Well, he didn't. We just kept walking, because we were oblivious and so was my dad. We then heard a DOOSH DOOSH DOOSH THUD, then a scream. We looked back to see who was screaming, only to see my father stuck on the steps while still on his motor scooter. The four of us did immediately what anyone normally would do when they see their loved one in distress, spring into action. Just kidding! We were rolling on the ground for the next three minutes. After we were done making fun of him (just for that moment, we never let him live that down) my grandfather got a group of three guys to push him up the stairs. Not only did no one think to use gravity and push him down the very short flight of stairs, but HE WAS STILL ON THE MOTOR SCOOTER (he was more than capable to get up).

We all get so excited to go to our favorite theme park or plan our vacation that we have memory loss or a "brain fart" as some people call it.
Please share yours to help others not make the same mistake or to just laugh a bit. :joker:

Here's my most recent ones.....In 2016 we went to MK and it was literally day 7 of our 8 day trip before I remembered the train takes you back to Adventureland/Frontierland. I was like DUH! How could I have forgotten that?

So then in Feb 2017 I was bound and determined to not have the same duh moment and of course...it was closed due to refurbishment. :tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

My other duh moment was putting the kids (they were 17,18, 22) at POR and myself & my husband at WL then breaking my arm at MK first day. I should have asked guest services to put my whole family together at the same hotel to make it easier so my daughter could have helped me to curl my hair etc. It never crossed my mind until we got home from vacation. DUH on me.

I have been to Disney numerous times since 1972, and in 2017 was the first time I did COP and People Movers. Duh, how could I have missed those?!

In 2003 I thought Astro Orbiter was the new Buzz Lightyear ride. (Now really how could I have thought that??? ) It took me 14 years to confess that one. I made it up to my kids in 2017...we rode it 5 times. lol

So have you had any Duh moments worth learning from or sharing with us?
You “broke your arm at MK on the first day of vacation” ! What happened?

You “broke your arm at MK on the first day of vacation” ! What happened?

Tripped over a low hanging velvet rope at a ride. Normally I know how to fall gracefully...but with 2 kids in front of me I tried to avoid them and fell very goofy (pun intended) :teeth::teeth::teeth: The next day I rode Frozen ever after...... on Percocet. I do not recommend that at all:sad2::upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter