Concussion advice needed

My daughter will be about 3 weeks out from a (mild) concussion when we head to Disney next week. Her doctor said to see how she feels, but didn’t seem to indicate that she was restricted on what she could do. At the same time she’s desperate to get back in the gym and a vacation isn’t worth setting back her recovery. I’m trying to think about what, if anything, we can do to keep her safe.

She has been sensitive to loud noises, so perhaps ear plugs would help? I don’t think she would wear big bulky ones but maybe small ones? Does anyone have any recommendations for ear plugs that work for kids?

Limit the number of rides she goes on? She likes the wild/crazy ones, so I don’t know how much we let her ride vs making her sit out. Normally I’d say to skip everything but she will be with a friend and really wants to ride WITH her.

Anything else that we are overlooking?

She has been sensitive to loud noises, so perhaps ear plugs would help? I don’t think she would wear big bulky ones but maybe small ones? Does anyone have any recommendations for ear plugs that work for kids?
I can’t help with most of your questions unfortunately, but my 10 year old with autism uses the loop kids ear plugs. They don’t block out all noise so we can still talk to him for the most part, but it dulls the louder noises and blocks most background noise that cause him distress.

How is she with visual distortions/blinking or flashing lights? Any sensitivity to those?

You can try foam ear plugs from hardware stores...they might be a bit more heavy duty than what you'd find in drugstores, etc.

I had a craniotomy in April and I also suffer from severe migraines, but got full approval from my neurosurgeon that I could go on rollercoasters. My neurologist just tells me to use my best judgement and always have rescue medication on hand.

Of the rides that are problematic from my trip post surgery: Space Mountain (I got off the ride and a migraine started shortly after, I swear it always feels so rough).

Big Thunder Mountain can be rough sometimes, so I just held the back of my neck tightly and I was fine.

I actually can't remember if Tron caused a problem for my head, but the restraints hurt my ribs, so I am fine not riding it again.

I haven't been on the Guardians of the Halaxy coaster, but my daughter pointed out that from watching the videos online, it would probably make me sick, so someone else might be able to speak of it.

I think for the most part, there aren't many rides that are really rough (though my memory isn't fabulous), but as long as your daughter can be honest with herself and you if she starts feeling head pain or off neurologically, I can't think of many things that would hold her back.

Ok, before I answer with my non-medical expertise, a bit of a background.

I played baseball in college
My oldest played lacrosse in college
My middle daughter played volleyball

All Division 1.
Meaning we've all had to go through concussion protocols and I'm pretty familiar with it.

Now, concussions are a serious issue and one that is to be treated with gloves. Every single person is different. some get a first concussion and it's an awful experience that can take weeks and weeks. Others are not like that. I know I had multiple playing football in high school but they just didn't do the testing they do now. In fact, I completely do not remember a half of a game that I played in after getting hit.

If your daughter is an athlete her coaches would have baseline concussion tests that they will compare her current results to. Nearly every sport is now required to have a baseline concussion test on file, even in High School. If she's not even close after 3 weeks, especially if it's her first concussion., then my advice: 100% follow your Dr's advice to the letter. IF she's still sensitive to light, loud noises, etc. then I wouldn't suggest Disney for her.

You mentioned getting into the gym, so maybe I'm just assuming she's an athlete. You didn't mention her age or anything else.

Good luck! It's always hard to see our children go through these things and we always want them to have fun and be a kid!

My daughter has had 3 concussions. 2 from soccer and she doesn't play any longer. The 3 was this summer from a horse swinging hits head and hitting her.

Her first on was really bad and took almost 2 months to be back to normal. She wore just basic ear plugs. The foam ones and they worked for her. She also wore sunglasses in side as well.

I would go with how she feels. If she is having symptoms, I would avoid rides with flashing lights and ones that would jerk you around. If she is not having symptoms then I would just avoid the ones that are jerky. If symptoms start then she should pull back on what she is doing. We were always told to go by how she was feeling. If something is is making symptoms worse then stop doing that.

Do they have her filling out the concussion chart? It has all the symptoms of concussions and you rate each one. You add up all the points. This gives you a gage on where she is. The lower the number the better.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest