Combining banked and borrowed points

CameoGrace

Earning My Ears
Hello! Everytime I think I've figured out points I start doubting myself.

Here is my situation:
Feb UY, bought a contract that had 2017 points. Banked them into 2018.

Made a reservation for April 2018. Looking to make a second reservation for October 2018. The October one will require borrowing from 2019.

My question is, what points will be used for April. Banked, then borrowed, then 2018? Then if we were to cancel October we would have used up our most restricted points? Or would the borrowed points not go toward April trip bc we didn't borrow them until booking Oct trip.

Thanks in advance!

Hello! Everytime I think I've figured out points I start doubting myself.

Here is my situation:
Feb UY, bought a contract that had 2017 points. Banked them into 2018.

Made a reservation for April 2018. Looking to make a second reservation for October 2018. The October one will require borrowing from 2019.

My question is, what points will be used for April. Banked, then borrowed, then 2018? Then if we were to cancel October we would have used up our most restricted points? Or would the borrowed points not go toward April trip bc we didn't borrow them until booking Oct trip.

Thanks in advance!

Assuming you banked the 2017 points before you made the April reservation, the April reservation would use the banked points first and then if more were needed, it would use 2018 points (current use year points for the April reservation).

You cannot borrow points until you need them for an actual reservation. When you make the October reservation, it will use any remaining 2018 points and then borrow the remainder from 2019.

If you cancel either reservation, the points will be returned to your account in the same status they had just before the reservation was cancelled.

If you have to cancel the April reservation, you could call MS and ask to have the banked points that were returned to your account reallocated to your October reservation to free up the 2018 points the October reservation used. Those 2018 points can be banked to 2019 if you haven't passed your banking deadline. If the number of returned banked points exceeds the number of 2018 points used for the October reservation, they would have to be used before the end of your 2018 use year. If not, they will expire.

Similarly, if you have to cancel the October reservation, you can call MS and ask to have the borrowed 2019 points applied to your April reservation to free up the 2018 points. Those 2018 points can be banked if you haven't passed your banking deadline.

They always pull banked, then current UY points. If that is not enough, they will allow you to borrow what you need to complete the reservation at the time of booking. So, if you have the April trip booked now, then the points you used to book it will remain in that reservation. When you book October, then you will use up the rest of your 2018 points and what you need to borrow from 2019. If you end up canceling the October vacation at least 31 days in advance, but prior to the April vacation, then you can ask that the borrowed points get reallocated to the April trip, freeing up 2018 points.

However, once you travel in April, if you cancel the October 2018 trip, the borrowed points will remain in your 2018 UY and need to be used prior to Feb 1st, 2019.

Just be sure to keep an eye on it, because sometimes what DVC is supposed to do, and what actually happens aren't the same. It's rare, but there have been reported instances of the points being taken out of order. We had it happen to us once, but fortunately, it didn't really make a difference in the end.

Just be sure to keep an eye on it, because sometimes what DVC is supposed to do, and what actually happens aren't the same. It's rare, but there have been reported instances of the points being taken out of order. We had it happen to us once, but fortunately, it didn't really make a difference in the end.
Will do. I am a bit nervous about it. We don't plan on cancelling but would like the option to downgrade from lake view to standard or change resorts at 7 months if possible. So we probably/hopefully won't need all that we borrowed- and I will keep a close eye on what happens if we shift around. Thank you!

Will do. I am a bit nervous about it. We don't plan on cancelling but would like the option to downgrade from lake view to standard or change resorts at 7 months if possible. So we probably/hopefully won't need all that we borrowed- and I will keep a close eye on what happens if we shift around. Thank you!
If you downgrade and get points back, ask that the borrowed points stay in the reservation & current points come out. Those are more flexible, as you can bank them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!