Changing a VGT after it has been assigned

Canesfan3234

Mouseketeer
We got our room assignment for our cruise in September. It is a bit close to the elevators and we were hoping for something a bit quieter. My question is can I now change my room assignment now that it has been assigned or am I locked in unless I pay for an upgrade? TIA

We got our room assignment for our cruise in September. It is a bit close to the elevators and we were hoping for something a bit quieter. My question is can I now change my room assignment now that it has been assigned or am I locked in unless I pay for an upgrade? TIA

If this is a discounted VGT fare, then there's nothing you can do. That's one of the trade offs for getting a discounted fare. You can't make any changes and can't request a different room than the one assigned.

Now if this is an undiscounted GTY reservation, then you might have some options. You can pay to upgrade to a different room category, or you can call and politely ask to see if they will change your room assignment. They may or may not make the change for you.

If you are picky about your room location, then you shouldn't book a *GT or a GTY reservation.

Nothing you can do. You roll the dice sometimes you win sometimes you lose. I’m rolling the dice on my next cruise still waiting for room assignment. Saved 394 dollars. It was 594 dollars cheaper but I won’t get the 200 dollars on board credit of course so a savings of 394 dollars.

If this is a discounted VGT fare, then there's nothing you can do. That's one of the trade offs for getting a discounted fare. You can't make any changes and can't request a different room than the one assigned.

Now if this is an undiscounted GTY reservation, then you might have some options. You can pay to upgrade to a different room category, or you can call and politely ask to see if they will change your room assignment. They may or may not make the change for you.

If you are picky about your room location, then you shouldn't book a *GT or a GTY reservation.
We are fine with the room especially with the 1k+ savings. Was just wondering if now that it was assigned, I could adjust it.

What sort of noise are you worried about? Elevator noise, or people noise? We were right at the opening for the aft elevators on deck 2 (oceanview 2116) on the Wonder and heard no noise from the elevators. Only noise we heard was from people talking as they walked by--and that can happen pretty much anywhere on a ship unless you're all the way at an end.

What sort of noise are you worried about? Elevator noise, or people noise? We were right at the opening for the aft elevators on deck 2 (oceanview 2116) on the Wonder and heard no noise from the elevators. Only noise we heard was from people talking as they walked by--and that can happen pretty much anywhere on a ship unless you're all the way at an end.
elevator and stair noise mostly.

Just curious....If the OP decides they really don't want the room (just a hypothetical since the OP seems fine with it and was just asking) and the savings isn't worth it, would they be able to just change the category and choose their stateroom (and of course pay the change in price)?

I don't know anything about booking VGT/OGT/IGT since I'd be too nervous.

But I would hope that if someone does get assigned a stateroom that they really don't like, there's a way out for them. Is there any penalty for cancelling these bookings (other than the normal cancellation penalty for regular staterooms)?

Essentially, if you take the risk and you lose, what's your options?

Last edited:

Just curious....If the OP decides they really don't want the room (just a hypothetical since the OP seems fine with it and was just asking) and the savings isn't worth it, would they be able to just change the category and choose their stateroom (and of course pay the change in price)?

I don't know anything about booking VGT/OGT/IGT since I'd be too nervous.

But I would hope that if someone does get assigned a stateroom that they really don't like, there's a way out for them. Is there any penalty for cancelling these bookings (other than the normal cancellation penalty for regular staterooms)?

Essentially, if you take the risk and you lose, what's your options?

I'm not sure if you can upgrade to a higher category before the cruise. But if you can, it would be at the current day pricing. There are no refunds on those rates so if you cancel, you lose everything. Depending on the insurance you purchased, there might be some help there.

You also have the option of doing a port upgrade when you arrive for the cruise, if there are rooms available in the higher categories. Your starting price would be based on the lowest room type in your category and they would calculate the difference from there to the higher categories (ex. VGT would start at 7A pricing and they would give you the price to go up to 5A, 4A, Concierge, etc, depending on what unsold rooms they have).

I think you can at least call and ask and if you have issues with the room when you are on board, go to guest services and ask politely! Maybe being near the elevators won't be an issue? I am waiting for MY cabin assignment and worried I'll get the cabin under the piano in the piano bar! I think Disney wants people to have a good cruise and honestly, at this late date there aren't a LOT of empty cabins left. To move to one of the few empty ones IF there is a serious noise issue or smell or something doesn't work - then maybe they would do it. Have you checked to see what else is available?

I'm no expert on the guaranteed fares, but I have no doubt DCL would happily upgrade anyone to a higher category for the price. I know it's a little different guaranteed rate, but I had a Gtd. "5C" FL resident rate booked for our Sept sailing (it was a very good rate and my first time booking a FL rez rate!), and about a month after booking it in May, decided to upgrade to our first concierge suite. DCL was mighty happy to get my money. :laughing:

Without looking at the fare rules, I'm think guaranteed rates are non-refundable.

I'm not sure if you can upgrade to a higher category before the cruise. But if you can, it would be at the current day pricing. There are no refunds on those rates so if you cancel, you lose everything. Depending on the insurance you purchased, there might be some help there.

You also have the option of doing a port upgrade when you arrive for the cruise, if there are rooms available in the higher categories. Your starting price would be based on the lowest room type in your category and they would calculate the difference from there to the higher categories (ex. VGT would start at 7A pricing and they would give you the price to go up to 5A, 4A, Concierge, etc, depending on what unsold rooms they have).

Thanks for your post. I didn't realize that these reservations were paid in full at booking. That's even a bigger risk that I thought.

It makes sense. And I'm sure the discount can be worth the risk.

At least, as you mentioned, there is a chance to upgrade at port, but that option would depend on availability and there's another risk there.

Thanks again. This info is good to know.

Are you sure it's a vgt those usually aren't assigned until about 10 days before cruise. What cruise was this?

I'm no expert on the guaranteed fares, but I have no doubt DCL would happily upgrade anyone to a higher category for the price. I know it's a little different guaranteed rate, but I had a Gtd. "5C" FL resident rate booked for our Sept sailing (it was a very good rate and my first time booking a FL rez rate!), and about a month after booking it in May, decided to upgrade to our first concierge suite. DCL was mighty happy to get my money. :laughing:

Without looking at the fare rules, I'm think guaranteed rates are non-refundable.

I would hope they have the option to upgrade, but I guess it's still a risk if it's available.

This is definitely not for me. I'm nervous just thinking about it. I would love to save, unfortunately, I'd go crazy.

I would hope they have the option to upgrade, but I guess it's still a risk if it's available.

This is definitely not for me. I'm nervous just thinking about it. I would love to save, unfortunately, I'd go crazy.
You can upgrade at port. I could care less where my room is located on a ship. I've done numerous GT rates. I've been all over the ship and never did room location impact my cruise. I've never understood why picking a room is so important. When you stay in a hotel you don't pick your room.

We were just on the Fantasy in room 9148. When you got off of the elevator or came up the steps 9152 was visible, so we were two doors down from that doorway. We didn't hear any stair or elevator noise. I didn't even hear kids playing the Midship Detective Agency unless I was out in the hallway.

We did a VGT on a 4-night cruise last December (first VGT booking). Would we have booked that room/deck if booked regularly? No, we usually like a higher deck. However, there was nothing wrong with the room or the location and we saved a lot! Well worth the risk of not knowing the room for us!

We’ve booked Vgt before and got a room I wouldn’t normally book, but was happy with the savings and the room was fine. If you click on the restrictions, it will open a big list of requirements you need to be aware of prior to choosing this option. One being no changes of cabin assignment. I would do it again.

When you stay in a hotel you don't pick your room.

Actually, just got back from a resort stay in the mountains and I DID pick my room. They showed me 2 and I picked! :laughing: Okay, to have full disclosure, I asked about upgrading my view, and they showed me my assigned room which had such a TEENY window the room was super dark and claustrophobic. Worked for them, I paid a little more and got that gorgeous mountain view! :thumbsup2 With our Hawaii TS, I have more than once asked to see my options and they were happy to show me as I stay longer than a week. But yes, MOST of the time, I do not actually pick my room. I make my personal requests when I book a hotel room.

As for Gtd. rates, I would definitely do it again. Been a few years since I've gotten a "luck of the draw" stateroom, but I haven't had any bad ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter