Changes to the Dining Plan

vbell91

Earning My Ears
Im from the UK, and a number of travel agencies here are reporting changes to the Disney Dining plan for 2017. They're saying that the QS and Regular plans are going to have an extra snack added and loose the dessert element from their Quick Service meals. They have released the news plans along with our 2017 Free Dining offer, which we can book from April 21. Ive included two website links below, but also have a picture from a Thomas Cook brochure confirming this as well - I just can't figure out how to upload it!

Up to this point the Dining Plans have been the same for the UK as the US so this is just a heads up that these changes could come into affect across the board once the 2017 plans are released by Disney! Has anyone from the here heard of any changes coming?

http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/special-offers/disney-dining-plan
http://www.maximisethemagic.com/dining/disney-dining-plan-changing/

QDP is effectively loosing one snack, right?

Pitty they don't change DDP to allow coffee instead of dessert

QDP is effectively loosing one snack, right?

Pitty they don't change DDP to allow coffee instead of dessert

That's what I thought - Regular plan just seems to be gaining a bit more flexibility by QDP seems to be losing out! May also possibly change how those on Deluxe plan use their entitlements too as they could technically loose 3 dessert off all three Quick meals (even though very few who use this plan would actually use it that way!) Will be interesting to see the plans once Disney release them for next year!

Given that most of the quick service dessert options are pre-made "cakes" that we would rather not have, I'll take the extra snack any day

I'd welcome this change. Most of the QS desserts are mediocre at best, and the entree is usually enough food for us without an extra side item or dessert. Last year we'd often sub a bottled drink for the dessert at QS, and we ended up bringing home about 5 or 6 bottled drinks in our suitcase! I'd rather just have the entree and a drink at QS and have the extra snack credit to use later.

I'm curious what the pricing will be for the US (presuming the plan changes will be the same). At the current exchange rate from GBP, nightly price is about $45/adult $18/child for the QSDP, $65/adult $23/child for the DDP, and $115/adult $32/child for the DxDDP.

I'd welcome this change. Most of the QS desserts are mediocre at best, and the entree is usually enough food for us without an extra side item or dessert. Last year we'd often sub a bottled drink for the dessert at QS, and we ended up bringing home about 5 or 6 bottled drinks in our suitcase! I'd rather just have the entree and a drink at QS and have the extra snack credit to use later.

I'm curious what the pricing will be for the US (presuming the plan changes will be the same). At the current exchange rate from GBP, nightly price is about $45/adult $18/child for the QSDP, $65/adult $23/child for the DDP, and $115/adult $32/child for the DxDDP.

Those aren't that far off from current U.S. prices:

QSDP $44.13/19.04
DDP $63.70/22.85
DxDP $115.08/35.49

Those aren't that far off from current U.S. prices:

QSDP $44.13/19.04
DDP $63.70/22.85
DxDP $115.08/35.49
Hmm. I didn't check the current US prices. Seeing that, I think our 2017 prices will be a bit higher than the conversion from GBP, since prices seem to go up every year. Hopefully not too much though. I'd actually consider purchasing the QSDP with this change, especially if all the QS credits continue to be pooled and not differentiated between adult credits and child credits.

Hmm. I didn't check the current US prices. Seeing that, I think our 2017 prices will be a bit higher than the conversion from GBP, since prices seem to go up every year. Hopefully not too much though. I'd actually consider purchasing the QSDP with this change, especially if all the QS credits continue to be pooled and not differentiated between adult credits and child credits.

I don't know. If you figure $5 for each snack, that means each meal (entree and drink only) would have to come to around $17 and that's going to be pretty difficult for EVERY meal.

I don't know. If you figure $5 for each snack, that means each meal (entree and drink only) would have to come to around $17 and that's going to be pretty difficult for EVERY meal.
It works out better if you have an even number of adults and children. For my family of 2 adults and 2 kids, we'd pay $130 per night (figuring $45 per adult and $20 per child) and get 8 QS meals and 8 snacks. If you value each snack at $4-$5, your QS would have to average $11.25-$12.25 to break even. And that's not counting the value of the refillable mug, which I think is $16 or $17 per person. I'm not saying you'll save a ton of money with the plan but it wouldn't be too hard for my family to at least break even and it is convenient to have everything paid for up front.

It works out better if you have an even number of adults and children. For my family of 2 adults and 2 kids, we'd pay $130 per night (figuring $45 per adult and $20 per child) and get 8 QS meals and 8 snacks. If you value each snack at $4-$5, your QS would have to average $11.25-$12.25 to break even. And that's not counting the value of the refillable mug, which I think is $16 or $17 per person. I'm not saying you'll save a ton of money with the plan but it wouldn't be too hard for my family to at least break even and it is convenient to have everything paid for up front.

And that's assuming Disney doesn't go back to enforcing the "kid's must order from a kid's menu" that is still on the brochure. It probably won't happen next year, but I really think this "loophole" they've created will be closed eventually.

And that's assuming Disney doesn't go back to enforcing the "kid's must order from a kid's menu" that is still on the brochure. It probably won't happen next year, but I really think this "loophole" they've created will be closed eventually.
It's possible, but they would have to reprogram the computer system to differentiate the QS credits as adult credits & child credits in order to completely enforce it. I just don't know if the lost revenue from some people sometimes using a child's QS credit to get an adult meal is enough to justify the investment in reprogramming. Because the majority of people who purchase the dining plan probably don't know about the "loophole" and order kids meals for their kids.

Like I said, I don't expect to do more than break even on any dining plan. As long as I wouldn't lose a ton of money, it's more about the convenience.

The plan has changed several times the past few years. Just a few years ago, the QS plan was two QS meals, with dessert as well as two snacks. I'm wondering if now that guidelines have loosened and having the ability to exchange any QS beverage or dessert item for any listed snack credit item, has led them to realise guests don't always want dessert. Or it could be an additional way to make more money lol.

As for the change, do I understand that a guest on basic dining would have 1 QS entitlement, of a beverage and entree, 1 TS entitlement of on me beverage, one entree and one dessert plus two snack credits and a refillable mug? This would definitely close the value gap between QS and TS imho.

They increase the prices sometimes closer to the time

The plan has changed several times the past few years. Just a few years ago, the QS plan was two QS meals, with dessert as well as two snacks. I'm wondering if now that guidelines have loosened and having the ability to exchange any QS beverage or dessert item for any listed snack credit item, has led them to realise guests don't always want dessert. Or it could be an additional way to make more money lol.

As for the change, do I understand that a guest on basic dining would have 1 QS entitlement, of a beverage and entree, 1 TS entitlement of on me beverage, one entree and one dessert plus two snack credits and a refillable mug? This would definitely close the value gap between QS and TS imho.

From the information released in the UK, that's correct. It looks like the regular plan are keep a 2-course TS, and therefore only losing the one QS dessert. I haven't done any number crunching on it but looking at it upfront it's certainly making the regular plan sound a whole lot more appealing!

I thought the TS meals came with a dessert? It's been many years since we had the regular dining plan (only had it once).

While I like the added snack credit, they are effectively removing one snack as the two desserts are being removed daily with the QSDP.

SMH

Did the deluxe lose the appetizers?

There's been no mention of any changes to the Deluxe Plan from any of the UK travel agencies. However, these changes were announced with our Free Dining offer, so they were mainly concentrating on the QS and Regular plans as that is what we're offered during Free Dine; I don't know whether the Deluxe plan will be included in the changes or if it's been left out because it's not being changed at all! I'm sure we'll know more once Disney release the 2017 plans officially

I thought the TS meals came with a dessert? It's been many years since we had the regular dining plan (only had it once).

While I like the added snack credit, they are effectively removing one snack as the two desserts are being removed daily with the QSDP.

SMH

That's what I meant by 2-course TS - entree and dessert. Sorry, I should have been more clear!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter