CCV direct or GF resale?. Help

TrIJoe

Earning My Ears
We love GF but the resale price is so close to CCV direct that we are going back and forth.

We don’t necessarily need the direct benefits but wonder for the future and any other changes to come
If it’s worth to buy direct?

Sleepless nights..lol

Keep in mind that CCV doesn't have as many standard rooms as many of the other resorts (excluding Poly) because of the cabins. This means that the availability of those rooms is harder, if you want to stay there you might need your points to be there to get the 11 month booking window. The general mantra of everyone is buy where you want to stay. So in your case you should probably buy at GF. I didn't do that myself so I feel funny making that argument. I bought at SSR because it was the most cost effective in the long run. That said will not feel stuck at any resort I am just happy to be staying at Disney :)

I think the two resorts are very hard to compare and you need to consider a few other things. I would factor in the difference in dues for each. The dues for CCV is already much higher than VGF and CCV is not even sold out yet. This will have a significant impact over the course of 50 years, if you keep the contract the entire time. One of the main reasons VB looks like a good purchase at face value, but when you do the math, the dues catch up rather quickly to higher initial purchase price resorts. The second thing is location. VGF is on the monorail and you can get to Epcot and Magic Kingdom rather easily. CCV requires the boat or bus to Magic Kingdom, and then a boat to the monorail, then switch monorails, or bus to Epcot.

I agree that you need to buy where you want to stay a majority of the time. If the perks are not important I would buy resale at VGF. Good luck either way.

The dues for CCV is already much higher than VGF and CCV is not even sold out yet.
This isn’t true when you look at a cost of MF per night. You will see that VGF is significantly higher than CCV because of the higher per night point cost.
CCV doesn't have as many standard rooms as many of the other resorts (excluding Poly) because of the cabins. This means that the availability of those rooms is harder, if you want to stay there you might need your points to be there to get the 11 month booking window.
This is true of VGF of all the WDW resorts VGF is probably the hardest to book at even above CCV. It’s the smallest resort at WDW. So if the OP is really interested in VGF they probably should buy there. Probably a higher chance of trading into CCV vs VGF since the VGF is one of the most desired locations, super small.

I agree with both of you that the OP should buy where they want to stay if they are considering VGF at all.

If you want to stay at VGF, buy VGF and also be prepared to do a 1BR not a studio in fall.

If you want to stay at CCV buy CCV and also be prepared to do a 1BR or even get shut out in fall.

These are two resorts that will be hard at 7 months in a studio year round.

This isn’t true when you look at a cost of MF per night. You will see that VGF is significantly higher than CCV because of the higher per night point cost.

This is true of VGF of all the WDW resorts VGF is probably the hardest to book at even above CCV. It’s the smallest resort at WDW. So if the OP is really interested in VGF they probably should buy there. Probably a higher chance of trading into CCV vs VGF since the VGF is one of the most desired locations, super small.

I agree with both of you that the OP should buy where they want to stay if they are considering VGF at all.

Just doing the simple math on a 200 point contract. CCV is $1.04 higher on dues right now, so rounded down that is $200 extra per year. Over the course of 50 years, that is $10,000 of a difference. The price difference per night is 2-5 points more at VGF than CCV for a studio or 1 bedroom. I still argue that the dues for CCV will cost more over the course of the contract. Not to mention the direct price of CCV is about 25-30$ more a point than VGF resale right now if you can find the right deal.

Only buy at CCV if you love CCV. If you love VGF and really want to stay there regularly, I'd recommend buying there. It's hard to get VGF reliably at 7 months. Yes it's nice to buy where you get the best deal, but not at the expense of your vacation quality.

When I bought BWV resale, it was not the best deal compared to other resorts with more years on their contract, but I love every time we stay there. Our Disney vacations would not be the same.

Just doing the simple math on a 200 point contract. CCV is $1.04 higher on dues right now, so rounded down that is $200 extra per year. Over the course of 50 years, that is $10,000 of a difference. The price difference per night is 2-5 points more at VGF than CCV for a studio or 1 bedroom. I still argue that the dues for CCV will cost more over the course of the contract. Not to mention the direct price of CCV is about 25-30$ more a point than VGF resale right now if you can find the right deal.
A Copper Creek Studio is 6302 points for an entire year with a 7.4256 MF per point leaving a MF of about 46,796 for the entire year.

A Grand Florida standard (lake) is 7935 (9449) for an entire year with a 6.3850 MF per point leaving a MF of about 50,665 (60,332).

While you are comparing an apples to apples contract size that operates under the assumption a contract of the same size at either resort will give you the same number of nights (CCV will provide more nights). The OP could do the above calculation specifically for when they want to travel that is up to them but the average nightly MF cost for a room at VGF is higher for a standard view by around 8% and for lake view by around 29%. My intention was to show that a simple comparison by MF per point isn’t accurate since the number of points per night changes the equation quite a bit. Obviously though if buying for X nights a year the OP would self bake this assumption into their analysis because they would buy less at CCV than VGF and as you said right now VGF is selling less than CCV, though I don’t really think it’s 25-30 less in practice, that’s if buying Direct and receive no incentives. Right now there are CCV resales sitting around 145-150 which is 10 per point cheaper than VGF 160 average sale price.

Overall I found the cost difference between VGF and CCV to be negligible when factoring everything in when I was looking to buy. They are very similar in regards to cost and availability at this moment in time, IMO. The OP should buy where they want to stay if it is between the two resorts for them.

Buy where you want to stay. The money you may save or the (non-guaranteed) perks you may receive will soon be forgotten if you end up wishing you could stay at the VGF. (You will rarely be able to get a studio or 1 bedroom there at 7 months). If the perks become more important later on, you will almost certainly have the option to add on to your membership at a later time. Good luck!

We love GF but the resale price is so close to CCV direct that we are going back and forth.

We don’t necessarily need the direct benefits but wonder for the future and any other changes to come
If it’s worth to buy direct?

There are marked differences between the two resorts which might sway your decision. You need to make a pro/con list and you need to look at the financials of each resort.
CCV - rooms book up very quickly even at the 11 month mark. The studio and 1 BR only accommodate 4 people. There is only boat and bus transportation. Cost of points per room is less so you could essentially buy less points, you do have a longer contract and it would get you perks (the important ones to factor could be dining, shopping and AP discounts - but all could disappear tomorrow)

VGF - Rooms cost more points, so you would have to purchase more points here. There is still competition for the studios, but from tracking i'd say slightly better availability of studios. The studios and 1 Br can accommodate 5. You have monorail, boat and bus transportation,

You need to run the numbers for your situation -- GF rooms cost more points so to stay in a studio you would need to buy more points at GF. The studios at CCV do book up quickly but they require less points so you could buy less points.

Buy where you want to stay. The money you may save or the (non-guaranteed) perks you may receive will soon be forgotten if you end up wishing you could stay at the VGF. (You will rarely be able to get a studio or 1 bedroom there at 7 months). If the perks become more important later on, you will almost certainly have the option to add on to your membership at a later time. Good luck!

Agreed! Thank you

Buy where you want to stay.
IMO, the biggest Con to VGF (and I own there) is the lack of rooms. It is a small resort. My intention was to stay one of the first 2 weeks in Dec in a studio. It is very hard to get, even at 11 months. So much so that I bought at Boulder Ridge for that week, and use the GF in September.

Just another factor for you to consider. I have heard, and AB confirmed that Copper Creek is also very hard to get.

Also, the reality of the finances are that if you're thinking VGF but then thinking CCV is similar in cost or slightly less because it has a slightly longer contract, you're already in realms where you're not buying for maximum value. So I'd throw out the value debate and start on the emotion of where you want to stay.

A Copper Creek Studio is 6302 points for an entire year with a 7.4256 MF per point leaving a MF of about 46,796 for the entire year.

A Grand Florida standard (lake) is 7935 (9449) for an entire year with a 6.3850 MF per point leaving a MF of about 50,665 (60,332).

While you are comparing an apples to apples contract size that operates under the assumption a contract of the same size at either resort will give you the same number of nights (CCV will provide more nights). The OP could do the above calculation specifically for when they want to travel that is up to them but the average nightly MF cost for a room at VGF is higher for a standard view by around 8% and for lake view by around 29%. My intention was to show that a simple comparison by MF per point isn’t accurate since the number of points per night changes the equation quite a bit. Obviously though if buying for X nights a year the OP would self bake this assumption into their analysis because they would buy less at CCV than VGF and as you said right now VGF is selling less than CCV, though I don’t really think it’s 25-30 less in practice, that’s if buying Direct and receive no incentives. Right now there are CCV resales sitting around 145-150 which is 10 per point cheaper than VGF 160 average sale price.

Overall I found the cost difference between VGF and CCV to be negligible when factoring everything in when I was looking to buy. They are very similar in regards to cost and availability at this moment in time, IMO. The OP should buy where they want to stay if it is between the two resorts for them.

Not too totally highjack the thread, but I do no not look at the numbers the same way you do. When I do my calculus I determine what I am paying per point over the course of the contract. I understand and it is implied certain resorts cost more per night to stay there. Very rarely I think everyone will use their points every year at their home resort, so I look at the points I have and what I paid per point.

The original poster asked initially if CCV direct would be better than buying VGF resale. That decision should be based on if they really really want the added benefits to buy direct. If not, then I would recommend probably a CCV resale as the numbers below are not as accurate. But it should mostly be based on where you really really want to have that booking advantage.

When I run the numbers, and these are subject to change because the MF for all resorts are going to go up. But based on todays MFs over the course of the entire remaining contracts, the number come out as this.

200 Point VGF on resale at $161 per point, MF on 200 points over 45 years = about $9.965 per point in total costs

200 CCV direct with current incentive is around $179.50, MF on 200 points over 49 years = 11.09 per point in total costs

You are correct in that with 200 points you will get about 2 extra nights per year at CCV, but I still argue, not everyone will always stay at their home resorts every year, which is why I base my decisions off price per point of the total investment. Also understand, none of these numbers factor in closing costs.

And I do agree with all of the posters that you should buy where you want to stay a majority of the time for that 11 month booking window. I would just caution that you may not always stay there or you might need to rent your points out.

Actually doing the math out on a CCV resale average of $144, MF on 200 points over 49 years = $10.37 per point in total costs.

Again, buy where you want to stay a majority of the time.

Not too totally highjack the thread, but I do no not look at the numbers the same way you do. When I do my calculus I determine what I am paying per point over the course of the contract. I understand and it is implied certain resorts cost more per night to stay there. Very rarely I think everyone will use their points every year at their home resort, so I look at the points I have and what I paid per point.

The original poster asked initially if CCV direct would be better than buying VGF resale. That decision should be based on if they really really want the added benefits to buy direct. If not, then I would recommend probably a CCV resale as the numbers below are not as accurate. But it should mostly be based on where you really really want to have that booking advantage.

When I run the numbers, and these are subject to change because the MF for all resorts are going to go up. But based on todays MFs over the course of the entire remaining contracts, the number come out as this.

200 Point VGF on resale at $161 per point, MF on 200 points over 45 years = about $9.965 per point in total costs

200 CCV direct with current incentive is around $179.50, MF on 200 points over 49 years = 11.09 per point in total costs

You are correct in that with 200 points you will get about 2 extra nights per year at CCV, but I still argue, not everyone will always stay at their home resorts every year, which is why I base my decisions off price per point of the total investment. Also understand, none of these numbers factor in closing costs.

And I do agree with all of the posters that you should buy where you want to stay a majority of the time for that 11 month booking window. I would just caution that you may not always stay there or you might need to rent your points out.
I think that is a fair point if your intend (or the OP intends) to use the points at other resorts (especially those more expensive than their home). If that is the case then I think BLT or SSR are going to be the best for that points.

It is totally up to a person if you buy where you want to stay then I would use my method I presented personally (to help decide between two contenders). If you buy where you wouldn’t mind staying (but intend sleeping around) then you select the cheapest per point as you said.

I think these are all good points for the OP to consider also. Never good to pay a premium for points you don’t intend to use at the 11 month window.

Buy VGF!!!! It’s one of my home resorts, so I’m very biased. :cool1:

I would pick VGF over CCV every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Also, you can find a reasonable deal of GFV via resale. Just keep looking if that’s where you want to own.

Last edited:
Both! :D

I love VGF and CCV and own at both so I'm definitely biased. They're my top 2 for holiday decorations. Both are smaller DVC resorts so it's important to own there if you want to stay there often, especially during DVC peak times. I would agree that buying CCV direct is best if you love CCV. If you're only considering CCV for the perks but you really prefer to own at VGF, I would recommend buying VGF resale. If you love both, you could buy half your points at VGF and half at CCV (especially if this is over 75 since you'd get direct benefits) and bank/borrow to stay at both. If you love VGF but also want to try all resorts over time, you could buy half at VGF and half at SSR and bank/borrow (as long as you would be happy staying at SSR if you couldn't switch).

I had the same questions the OP had myself months ago. What was the outcome? I am a happy own at VGF

Like the others have said, buy where you want to stay

You won't get the length of the contract you'd get at CCV, but you'll get all the atmosphere of the WL if you buy BRV. And have a better chance at booking a studio if that is what you want. Plus the resale price is a lot lower.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter