CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I'm going to need alllll these cruise lines to stop sending me enticing emails with awesome deals until I get some kind of confirmation that cruising is returning. You know I'm ready to sail at any time. It's not me, it's you. :rotfl2:

At this point, I'm just booking them and whatever will be, will be! :crazy:

I'm with you @mevelandry I'm just booking stuff :) I have a two week cruise on MSC Merviglia Jan 2022 and now Carnival Horizon 8 night booked for April 2023. I will possibly put something between them (maybe Disney land trip?) And would still like to book something on RCL as well, we still want to check out the updated Coco Cay. And go back to Labadee someday too.

I would love to hear your review of Labadee as we will (most likely) go there in!

Also, if anyone has tried MSC, I'm interested to hear about it as well.

I would love to hear your review of Labadee as we will (most likely) go there in!

Also, if anyone has tried MSC, I'm interested to hear about it as well.

We are supposed to go on MSC in early 2022 so I think you will beat us :) But we have booked and cancelled with them many times, usually cancelling because we decide not to cruise at that time. I believe they changed the rules for Canadians though so cancelling pays a fee. Since I only have to pay $49 to book us both (travel mate is my son who doesn't have to pay a deposit for some reason I chose not to investigate). They are more European and other lines, so there are some differences, including in the clientele on board. You will hear announcements in many languages. They are supposed to have amazing pizza and pasta.

As for Labadee, we really enjoyed it but I can understand why not everyone would. We did the roller coaster twice then spent an hour at the inflatables in the water, then swam at the regular beach, had bbq lunch and went over to the snorkeling area which was pretty quiet and we were able to see some neat stuff. Kiddo wants to try the zip-lining next time we go, I'd want to do the superman one but he says the other ones looks better so I guess we will see if he is old enough, tall enough and weighs enough to do it! There are many little areas around, and you can avoid the (very pushy) shops in the middle quite easily. I don't think we actually bought anything. We did rent a locker for while we were on the roller coaster and were able to use the pass on the ones by the water park area as well, so one price and you can move your stuff around with you to the different sets of lockers.

I went about 30 years previously with my parents and there was nothing but beach so it has really been built up a lot. It's nice because you can dock though so you don't have to worry about tenders. There are multiple places to eat around the space as well, no matter where you decide to settle.

We are supposed to go on MSC in early 2022 so I think you will beat us :) But we have booked and cancelled with them many times, usually cancelling because we decide not to cruise at that time. I believe they changed the rules for Canadians though so cancelling pays a fee. Since I only have to pay $49 to book us both (travel mate is my son who doesn't have to pay a deposit for some reason I chose not to investigate). They are more European and other lines, so there are some differences, including in the clientele on board. You will hear announcements in many languages. They are supposed to have amazing pizza and pasta.

As for Labadee, we really enjoyed it but I can understand why not everyone would. We did the roller coaster twice then spent an hour at the inflatables in the water, then swam at the regular beach, had bbq lunch and went over to the snorkeling area which was pretty quiet and we were able to see some neat stuff. Kiddo wants to try the zip-lining next time we go, I'd want to do the superman one but he says the other ones looks better so I guess we will see if he is old enough, tall enough and weighs enough to do it! There are many little areas around, and you can avoid the (very pushy) shops in the middle quite easily. I don't think we actually bought anything. We did rent a locker for while we were on the roller coaster and were able to use the pass on the ones by the water park area as well, so one price and you can move your stuff around with you to the different sets of lockers.

I went about 30 years previously with my parents and there was nothing but beach so it has really been built up a lot. It's nice because you can dock though so you don't have to worry about tenders. There are multiple places to eat around the space as well, no matter where you decide to settle.
Thank you!

From Cruise Radio News:

Carnival Corps will sell 5 more cruise ships... Which means they will get rid of 18 ships instead of 13 ships.

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-co...2-cGOci5nPDtz1BE_faFSYdJV4OMnSVySj8Y07u5nqVHI

I was thinking "there goes the rest of the Fantasy class," but then I see it's across the entire company. So it may or may not be Carnival ships to begin with. Can't say I'm surprised though, I wonder which ones will go. Does anyone think any Princess ships will be scrapped? It seems like that "branch" was hit harder and has more future sailings cancelled than the others. I'm assuming due to the negative press at the start of the pandemic.

I was thinking "there goes the rest of the Fantasy class," but then I see it's across the entire company. So it may or may not be Carnival ships to begin with. Can't say I'm surprised though, I wonder which ones will go. Does anyone think any Princess ships will be scrapped? It seems like that "branch" was hit harder and has more future sailings cancelled than the others. I'm assuming due to the negative press at the start of the pandemic.

I think I saw a new "carnival class" table and the 4 Fantasy ships that were either in time out or sold where not part of it anymore. I haven't noticed another ship disappearing from the list but who knows.

DCL just Announced that are suspending all sailings until December 6th, 2020... How long until other cruise lines jump the bandwagon?

Last edited:
I'm waiting, my PIF date is next week and I plan to call and ask for an extension at least. I have no doubt I'll not be going in December but am hoping for some perk for keeping the booking :) Between the border being still closed (possibly until the new year) and cruises still being cancelled I know we won't be going :(

I believe that the Fascination, Inspiration, Imagination and Fantasy are the only 4 from Carnival that will be gone. The rest are from their other brands from what I understand, including a few from Princess I believe. HAL as well and Costa I think?

OOF. More cancellations...
View attachment 526218
Source: John Heald on Facebook

Just saw that announcement. I feel bad for cruisers that are affected, but it kind of makes sense to just keep them out of commission if they were scheduled for a dry dock anyway. The absolute earliest they could sail would be November 1. There isn't much point in getting them all geared up to sail (in whatever capacity that may be), get crew back from all over the world, and sail them for a few weeks before taking them out again.

Just saw that announcement. I feel bad for cruisers that are affected, but it kind of makes sense to just keep them out of commission if they were scheduled for a dry dock anyway. The absolute earliest they could sail would be November 1. There isn't much point in getting them all geared up to sail (in whatever capacity that may be), get crew back from all over the world, and sail them for a few weeks before taking them out again.

Also, from what I understand, those ships are not ready to welcome guests based on the new criterias requested by the CDC so it's better to removed them from circulation until then. I have a feeling that the cruise ships are going to be much safer from now on.

By the way, we already knew it was coming (!) but the sale of Fascination has also been confirmed today.

I wish they'd just cancel my Horizon cruise... I have 6 days to pay for it... just cancel already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter