CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Panorama sails the longer 7 day itineraries, but it might be the Radiance that takes over for the Imagination. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong!) Which, if so, would be a very nice upgrade I would think!
You are correct. They pulled Imagination and Inspiration and replaced with only Radiance doing the 3/4 itinerary and Panorama doing the 7 night itinerary.

I’m actually pretty excited about that because there’s been a few times that I wanted to book a 3 or 4 night cruise out of there just to get away for a bit, but couldn’t because I have zero desire to step on a Fantasy Class ship. With that in mind, at this point, I’d board a Fantasy class ship in a heartbeat right now if I could be on a ship. Funny how things change when circumstances are different than they used to be.

You are correct. They pulled Imagination and Inspiration and replaced with only Radiance doing the 3/4 itinerary and Panorama doing the 7 night itinerary.

I’m actually pretty excited about that because there’s been a few times that I wanted to book a 3 or 4 night cruise out of there just to get away for a bit, but couldn’t because I have zero desire to step on a Fantasy Class ship. With that in mind, at this point, I’d board a Fantasy class ship in a heartbeat right now if I could be on a ship. Funny how things change when circumstances are different than they used to be.

I get it 100%. I‘d be ready to go back to Nassau... on the Carnival Sensation.

I booked a basic inside cabin for now but if money is on our side and I can find a good rate, we will most likely try to upgrade to Cloud 9 Spa or a Balcony (why not both if we can afford it?)

I’m ecstatic about the ship. I loved Vista so much (it is still my favorite ship so far) and Horizon looks just as great or even better.

We were originally supposed to go to Amber Cove (& Grand Turk) in 2019 but changed the trip after not liking Grand Turk very much during a 2018 cruise... All my research is done about Amber Cove and we are extremely happy we’ll get to go after all.

I’m just not sure what to do at La Romana. We are not very adventurous and I heard the place isn’t super safe so I will study that port a lot in order to make the best choice of excursion/activity.
We always book inside cabins and love them. If you can call back and change cabins, I highly recommend trying to get one of the square cabins like in this picture. They are the same price as regular insides but are more spacious. We had them for 3 of our 4 Vista cruises and they are awesome. I know they’re available on decks 7, 8, and 9. We always book deck 8 on Vista class ships so we don’t have to take elevators. The square cabins without the connecting doors generally have a couch in them also, which Carnival insides never have. Carnival will not guarantee that they do have the couch though so you can’t 100% count on it.
We didn’t do anything in La Romana, just got off the ship, did a little souvenir shopping in the secure port area and got back on to enjoy an empty ship. We were able to snag 4 of the awesome chairs on the Panorama (11) deck and spend the afternoon in them. We love them because we get the goings on of Lido but don’t bake in the sun all day.

I’m so happy you booked a cruise and we can talk cruise plans again! This made my morning!14ACB884-DE79-4471-A580-D48C5B21B635.jpeg

68266453-64BD-4499-8687-F4118AB991B0.jpeg

After verification...

@belle032 is correct. Carnival Radiance is supposed to take over for shorter cruises departing from Long Beach.

Carnival Radiance is a re-imagined Carnival Victory (which was already much better than Fantasy Class, IMO). There will be exciting changes on that ship. I would not hesitate to recommend Panorama or Radiance.
We sailed the Victory out of San Juan; it was fine. It also has exponentially more balcony cabins than the Fantasy-class ships did and it's nice to have one, even on a 4-day. If our borders ever open up and we can get back to California, I'm sure we'll give it a go.

We sailed the Victory out of San Juan; it was fine. It also has exponentially more balcony cabins than the Fantasy-class ships did and it's nice to have one, even on a 4-day. If our borders ever open up and we can get back to California, I'm sure we'll give it a go.
I read yesterday that Disneyland will more than likely start slowly opening up in October, I’m pretty excited. This is the first year since 2004 that we haven’t been to a Disney park or on a Disney cruise, I need me some Disney dammit 😂😂

@Club Disney Chandler That's the kind of cabin we have on hold (albeit in the Family Harbor area, but still, the square ones). I watched so many youtube video reviews and picture reviews, they do look different from the standard and a nicer layout.
From what I’ve read they are the same square footage of the regular cabins but they feel so much bigger. It’s amazing how much difference a different shape makes.

I read yesterday that Disneyland will more than likely start slowly opening up in October, I’m pretty excited. This is the first year since 2004 that we haven’t been to a Disney park or on a Disney cruise, I need me some Disney dammit 😂😂

That's good news! I am SOOOO tempted to say screw it and book a WDW trip in December. The only thing holding me back is the whole having to quarantine when we get home to NY. And my work wouldn't look favorably on a visit to Florida unless it drops off the NY quarantine list.

That's good news! I am SOOOO tempted to say screw it and book a WDW trip in December. The only thing holding me back is the whole having to quarantine when we get home to NY. And my work wouldn't look favorably on a visit to Florida unless it drops off the NY quarantine list.
It could happen, Arizona was on the list for NY and we just got dropped this week 🙏🏼

I used to live in Gilbert (Higley) on Guadalupe - and worked in Mesa (Banner Desert in Labor & Delivery), back in 2001-03. Now I’m back home in Alabama.

Small world. :)
I grew up in the neighborhood behind the McDonalds across Southern from Banner Desert. When we moved to that house in 1973, the 60 freeway didn’t even extend to Dobson road and Dobson south of the hospital was a dirt road. Hard to believe that Mesa is now the 3rd largest city in Arizona.

What part? I live in Gilbert and my restaurant is in Mesa, both are SE of Phoenix.

This is horrible, but I don't know for sure! They are both Border Patrol and live on a big ranch, but I believe we'd have to fly into Tucson. We've never been out there, they always come to NY due to having family here. I'm hoping we can get there, your state looks beautiful!

Question for those who went to La Romana. What have you done in that port? Any recommendations?

I like monkeys, I just don’t want them to climb on me/my head/pee on me so I feel like this is not the excursion for me.

Catalina Island looks nice enough. It’s the one I keep going back to for now.

I hear horror stories about DR being unsafe so I’m hesitant.

Last edited:
Question for those who went to La Romana. What have you done in that port? Any recommendations?

I like monkeys, I just don’t want them to climb on me/my head/pee on me so I feel like this is not the excursion for me.

Catalina Island looks nice enough. It’s the one I keep going back to for now.

I hear horror stories about DR being unsafe so I’m hesitant.
We did Catalina Island and it is beautiful. It’s been one of our favorite days in the Caribbean.

This is horrible, but I don't know for sure! They are both Border Patrol and live on a big ranch, but I believe we'd have to fly into Tucson. We've never been out there, they always come to NY due to having family here. I'm hoping we can get there, your state looks beautiful!
Gotcha, you’ll be a couple hours south of me then. I have to caution you about coming in February though. You WILL NOT want to leave 😂. I was talking to my neighbor the other night about this very thing. He and his wife came out here from Michigan over Martin Luther King Jr weekend, on day 3 they signed papers on building a new house here. Went home, sold their house and are now here full time. I hope you’re able to make it out here, it is beautiful!

Alright. Took a leap of faith... Booked MSC Armonia for a short Easter 2021 cruise with stops to Key West --a whole day! -- and their brand new private island Ocean Cay. The ship looks very nice (the interior reminds me of Disney Cruise Line meets Royal Caribbean, the exterior pool reminds me of Princess... Very good price (478$ CND per person).

Only one complaint so far... The payment has been processed and shows on my credit card, but the website had a bug right after it said "Congratulations! You are booked". And I haven't received the confirmation nor can I access my booking number yet.

EDIT: The correction has been made. I got everything I need now. Super efficient customer service and they have a french option!

But other than that, I'm very excited and I hope for the best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter