CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just reading a bit on some other dcl threads-- I did a couple of days ago too, after not going over there for a while, and boy is it nice to catch up again over here and read this thread!! People are so nice on this thread! I started looking at some dcl main threads because we put a dcl cruise on hold, but reading over there turned me off of dcl again. Lol. So we are dropping the dcl hold and have booked an 8 night Eastern Caribbean on the Carnival Magic instead! We were very tempted by the Horizon but the dates we wanted would have put us on the 6 night Western and we really wanted Eastern. In 2 weeks we are on the Conquest, so I will report back on that.

I was just reading a bit on some other dcl threads-- I did a couple of days ago too, after not going over there for a while, and boy is it nice to catch up again over here and read this thread!! People are so nice on this thread! I started looking at some dcl main threads because we put a dcl cruise on hold, but reading over there turned me off of dcl again. Lol. So we are dropping the dcl hold and have booked an 8 night Eastern Caribbean on the Carnival Magic instead! We were very tempted by the Horizon but the dates we wanted would have put us on the 6 night Western and we really wanted Eastern. In 2 weeks we are on the Conquest, so I will report back on that.

Thank you for this comment. While we do encounter a few haters once in a while, I strongly believe that most people commenting here have a good attitude regarding choices of vacation, are open minded and are open to discussion as long as everybody is respectful.

Travelling is a priviledge so I don't understand the negativity on some threads. IMO, attitude has a big part in the success of a cruise.

That being said...

What are the ports on your 8 nights? :D

As for your next cruise: Ahhhh I'm a bit jealous. The Conquest looks so good (at least on pictures!).

Thank you for this comment. While we do encounter a few haters once in a while, I strongly believe that most people commenting here have a good attitude regarding choices of vacation, are open minded and are open to discussion as long as everybody is respectful.

Travelling is a priviledge so I don't understand the negativity on some threads. IMO, attitude has a big part in the success of a cruise.

That being said...

What are the ports on your 8 nights? :D

As for your next cruise: Ahhhh I'm a bit jealous. The Conquest looks so good (at least on pictures!).

Yes, I love your thread! I was reading some other dcl threads and felt awful for various posters being attacked. I wanted to defend them but also didn't want to get too involved. Yuck! o_O

The Carnival Magic is 8 nights August 2019. St.Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, and Grand Turk. We picked it because we have never been to St. Maarten or Kitts. We put a Caribbean map on a pinboard on our wall and have been sticking pins in all of our destinations. We are a bit bummed out that we did not book Horizon, but we have just not done enough Eastern Caribbean. So many great cruises to choose from!

The Conquest is a 6 night. Amber Cove, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau. We booked it a long time ago and it was origionally 3 ports, but they added Nassau a few months ago. We have never been on a cruise where a port was added! On this one Amber Cove and HMC are new for us.

This summer we are on the Carnival Dream. Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay. MB new for us.

We had booked an NCL cruise on the Gem next December, but it got switched to the Breakaway and then they dropped a port. After rethinking the entire cruise we replaced it with a better deal on the Celebrity Equinox spring break 2019. Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman. Costa Maya new here.

We usually book early because we travel at busier times and then hope for price drops. Not with DCL- we have never experienced a price drop on DCL. But with other lines, specifically CCL and NCL, we have been able to get some price drops. We also sometimes cancel and rebook since we book so far out. We have never cancelled with CCL (knock on wood), as we have booked easysaver nonrefundable deposits. Our kids LOVE Carnival, so we are focused on Carnival right now. I was talking up DCL with them when I had the hold booked, and the kids were like switch it to Carnival! I started to laugh thinking I was trying to sell DCL to them. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around! It is also a bit crazy to realize that our next 3 cruises cost less combined than one with DCL.

I love hearing about peoples' cruising experiences and hope others will keep sharing theirs!
:sail:

Yes, I love your thread! I was reading some other dcl threads and felt awful for various posters being attacked. I wanted to defend them but also didn't want to get too involved. Yuck! o_O

The Carnival Magic is 8 nights August 2019. St.Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, and Grand Turk. We picked it because we have never been to St. Maarten or Kitts. We put a Caribbean map on a pinboard on our wall and have been sticking pins in all of our destinations. We are a bit bummed out that we did not book Horizon, but we have just not done enough Eastern Caribbean. So many great cruises to choose from!

The Conquest is a 6 night. Amber Cove, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau. We booked it a long time ago and it was origionally 3 ports, but they added Nassau a few months ago. We have never been on a cruise where a port was added! On this one Amber Cove and HMC are new for us.

This summer we are on the Carnival Dream. Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay. MB new for us.

We had booked an NCL cruise on the Gem next December, but it got switched to the Breakaway and then they dropped a port. After rethinking the entire cruise we replaced it with a better deal on the Celebrity Equinox spring break 2019. Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Grand Cayman. Costa Maya new here.

We usually book early because we travel at busier times and then hope for price drops. Not with DCL- we have never experienced a price drop on DCL. But with other lines, specifically CCL and NCL, we have been able to get some price drops. We also sometimes cancel and rebook since we book so far out. We have never cancelled with CCL (knock on wood), as we have booked easysaver nonrefundable deposits. Our kids LOVE Carnival, so we are focused on Carnival right now. I was talking up DCL with them when I had the hold booked, and the kids were like switch it to Carnival! I started to laugh thinking I was trying to sell DCL to them. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around! It is also a bit crazy to realize that our next 3 cruises cost less combined than one with DCL.

I love hearing about peoples' cruising experiences and hope others will keep sharing theirs!

I did try to defend some people but I was told not to...

OMG! I've been thinking of doing the map and pins thing lately! It's so cool!

It's great that they added a port to your cruise. I could be wrong but I think cruises with a lot of ports are getting more and more popular. To each their own and I respect those who would prefer cruises to nowhere but to me, the ports are the most important part of my cruise otherwise, I would save a lot of money by booking back-to-back cruises to the Bahamas because they are cheaper. (Yes, I know we can never take the ports for granted.)

Can you post some pictures on the thread of Half Moon Cay when you come back? Since it is Carnival's private Island, I could add a "private island section" and then put the link to your pictures on the first page! :D

I did try to defend some people but I was told not to...

OMG! I've been thinking of doing the map and pins thing lately! It's so cool!

It's great that they added a port to your cruise. I could be wrong but I think cruises with a lot of ports are getting more and more popular. To each their own and I respect those who would prefer cruises to nowhere but to me, the ports are the most important part of my cruise otherwise, I would save a lot of money by booking back-to-back cruises to the Bahamas because they are cheaper. (Yes, I know we can never take the ports for granted.)

Can you post some pictures on the thread of Half Moon Cay when you come back? Since it is Carnival's private Island, I could add a "private island section" and then put the link to your pictures on the first page! :D

Yes! I will get photos of hmc. I think i have some of great stirrip cay (ncl) and will look for them.

You should do the map! It is a fun way to remember and look forward to cruises. My kids stare at the map for hours. I "stole" the idea from a trip report I read on CC. I need to get another map that also has Mexican beaches. I only have the standard Caribbean one.

I like ports too. The way I see it, more ports = more options. You can still hang out on the ship if you want and there will be less people.

We did that itinerary on Breeze. It is wonderful. We've been to St Maarten twice and it's one of our favorites along with San Juan.

We did that itinerary on Breeze. It is wonderful. We've been to St Maarten twice and it's one of our favorites along with San Juan.
Awesome! We would love to try the Breeze. It seems like most people like her even more than the Vista. Unfortunately, she is doing a Western that week.

If you sail on the Horizon I will officially be jealous... :D

I could be wrong but I think the Carnival Paradise does overnight as well sometimes.

Yes saw that. But like that NCL leaves out of Miami. Easy way to extend a vacation...

We were going to do that same 8 night itinerary on the Magic in June 2019, but decided to switch to the Horizon 8 night instead. We did the same cruise on the Vista last year and absolutely loved Curaçao, this time on the Horizon we will be there until 10:30 at night so I’m really looking forward to that. I also was able to talk to my wife into booking inside Havana cabins, I’m so excited.

You’re going to love the CD on the Dream! His name is Chris Williams but goes by The Flying Scotsman. He is awesome, be sure to catch his show the night it’s in the theater. He has an amazing voice, mostly does rock but throws in an opera piece that will give you goose bumps. I really like the prominent role the Carnival CD’s play on their ships. Please come back and let us know how the cruises go!!

How do I get photos on here? Can I take them straight from my computer? I can't figure it out.

When you make a post or post a reply, at the right of the "post reply" button you'll find "upload a file" button. There you will find an option to download pictures than you can post as a thumbnail or directly in the message (I suggest the latter, it's easier to see on phones).

:)

We were going to do that same 8 night itinerary on the Magic in June 2019, but decided to switch to the Horizon 8 night instead. We did the same cruise on the Vista last year and absolutely loved Curaçao, this time on the Horizon we will be there until 10:30 at night so I’m really looking forward to that. I also was able to talk to my wife into booking inside Havana cabins, I’m so excited.

You’re going to love the CD on the Dream! His name is Chris Williams but goes by The Flying Scotsman. He is awesome, be sure to catch his show the night it’s in the theater. He has an amazing voice, mostly does rock but throws in an opera piece that will give you goose bumps. I really like the prominent role the Carnival CD’s play on their ships. Please come back and let us know how the cruises go!!
You need to talk her into a Havana Cabana.

Yes saw that. But like that NCL leaves out of Miami. Easy way to extend a vacation...

Yes, The Paradise leaves out of Tampa but I have never been to Tampa... So I can't compare.

I'm not the biggest fan of Miami (except for some of their restaurants) so to me it is more like a place to sleep before a cruise. Lol

When you make a post or post a reply, at the right of the "post reply" button you'll find "upload a file" button. There you will find an option to download pictures than you can post as a thumbnail or directly in the message (I suggest the latter, it's easier to see on phones).

:)
Ahhh... that is pretty easy! I just scrolled through the 5000 or so photos on the sim card on my phone and of course there are none on there of GSC, but I know I have them on my computer so I will do it soon. Of course about 2000 if the photos on my phone are from Castaway Cay lol. Thank you

It was tough to choose the Magic over the Horizon, although I am sure the Magic is great too. If the Horizon had been doing the 8 night Southern the week we needed, we would have chosen it in a heartbeat! I agree that itinerary with Aruba and Curacao is awesome. You guys will have a blast and I hope you report back too!
I also love how Carnival CD's are so vibrant and have such individual personalities. It really adds to the entire experience. Can't wait to meet their other CDs, although it will be hard to top Matt. The Flying Scottsman sounds like a riot!

Last edited:
Yes, The Paradise leaves out of Tampa but I have never been to Tampa... So I can't compare.

I'm not the biggest fan of Miami (except for some of their restaurants) so to me it is more like a place to sleep before a cruise. Lol
It looks like from your ticker you've changed a few of your plans. I have too. I think I'm going to do the TA over Quebec. I'll get see Ireland and Northern Canada. Halifax, Sydney and New Brunswick. Longer cruise for about the same amount of money. I'm a little nervous about weather and sad about Quebec, but it's a great itinerary.

I've been checking out ABD for 2019 or 20120. Wow this make DCL look cheap. It seems like an amazing way to see China though. Thinking about it, but lots of money. I'm starting to get a little burnt out on cruising and I'm looking for something new to do. I guess that's understandable considering the number of cruises I've been on.

If I ever do go back to the Caribbean it's going to be in Havana Cabana or the Haven. Those are on my bucket list.

It looks like from your ticker you've changed a few of your plans. I have too. I think I'm going to do the TA over Quebec. I'll get see Ireland and Northern Canada. Halifax, Sydney and New Brunswick. Longer cruise for about the same amount of money. I'm a little nervous about weather and sad about Quebec, but it's a great itinerary.

I've been checking out ABD for 2019 or 20120. Wow this make DCL look cheap. It seems like an amazing way to see China though. Thinking about it, but lots of money. I'm starting to get a little burnt out on cruising and I'm looking for something new to do. I guess that's understandable considering the number of cruises I've been on.

If I ever do go back to the Caribbean it's going to be in Havana Cabana or the Haven. Those are on my bucket list.

Yes, we did. We found a Southern itinerary for 2019 that sounds amazing... So amazing that we lost interest for the Bermuda a little bit. The fact that longer Oasis class cruises were cheaper than cruises on the Anthem played a role in our decision as well.

We decided to invest the money for the Southern Caribbean itinerary for March 2019 and then pick a more affordable cruise for October 2018 instead.

There was two other options that were on our bucket list: A southern with Aruba/Curaçao or Half Moon Cay & Grand Turk.

HMC & GT was quite cheap. The total including taxes was 422$/pp for 5 nights, so we decided to book that one.

If the TA is more interesting and cheaper, I say: go for it. Ireland looks amazing.

DH and I always try to put one land trips or getaway between cruises. We used to do WDW but we needed a break.

Last year, we went for a week-end in NYC, then a Kingston/Niagara Fall/Niagara-on-the-Lake/Toronto getaway.

Someday, I would like to see Washington/Philadelphia... Dublin & Cork, Reikjavik, London or Paris. :)

Last edited:

It's been a while since we've been to Miami but we had a good time there. And hoping to spend some time in Key West as well. Enjoy your Southern Caribbean Cruise. We enjoyed ours tremendously.

It was tough to choose the Magic over the Horizon, although I am sure the Magic is great too. If the Horizon had been doing the 8 night Southern the week we needed, we would have chosen it in a heartbeat! I agree that itinerary with Aruba and Curacao is awesome. You guys will have a blast and I hope you report back too!
I also love how Carnival CD's are so vibrant and have such individual personalities. It really adds to the entire experience. Can't wait to meet their other CDs, although it will be hard to top Matt. The Flying Scottsman sounds like a riot!
We were bummed when we found out Matt was not going to be on our 2nd Vista Cruise, we loved him on our first. We were shocked that we liked the Flying Scotsman more than him, but my teenage daughter still thinks Matt is “way hotter!”

It's been a while since we've been to Miami but we had a good time there. And hoping to spend some time in Key West as well. Enjoy your Southern Caribbean Cruise. We enjoyed ours tremendously.

Thank you.

I can't wait. But I have a Western and then Eastern Caribbean cruises to do before that. I'm looking forward to all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter