CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad they're expanding their itineraries! I wish they would branch out into Europe though. Would love to see that in the future.

I booked the Carnival Horizon for our 2019 cruise. I think the July 3 night on the Fantasy will be our last DCL for a while; at least it's my grand slam. I am getting close to retirement and can't justify the extra cost when it is just DH and I.
When are you sailing? We’re on the 6/1/19 8 night Southern Caribbean on Horizon.

I hope you'll do a trip report from your trip to Alaska with a lot of pictures.

I've been dying to cruise Alaska but when there are no beaches, my husband is not interested. My Alaska 40th birthday cruise project for 2019 turned into Amber Cove-Grand Turk because of that. :/ Not that I don't want to go to Amber Cove or Grand Turk but it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.

I will definitely do a trip report when I get back. Being brutally honest, I’m really not looking forward to this cruise, I’d be much happier if we were doing a beach/sun cruise. I’m a native of AZ and don’t enjoy cold weather at all. This is my son’s pick for his graduation and he’s been wanting to do Alaska since 2013. I’m sure once I get on the ship, I’ll be excited about it.

I'm glad they're expanding their itineraries! I wish they would branch out into Europe though. Would love to see that in the future.
They are introducing a new mega class ship in 2020, in addition to the 3rd Vista class ship. The mega ship is being built in Finland so speculation is it will spend the summer doing Northern Europe cruises. There might be some hope for you.

I’d love to do the 24 day transpacific, that would be amazing!

I will definitely do a trip report when I get back. Being brutally honest, I’m really not looking forward to this cruise, I’d be much happier if we were doing a beach/sun cruise. I’m a native of AZ and don’t enjoy cold weather at all. This is my son’s pick for his graduation and he’s been wanting to do Alaska since 2013. I’m sure once I get on the ship, I’ll be excited about it.

I get that. Living in Canada where we have a very cold Winter, my DH thinks it's absurd to pay in order to go somewhere that will be colder than Montreal during summer.

That being said, icebergs and bears and whales are not something we see every day. I wish I could do this at least once in my life.

Grandma lives with us and she is the other adult in our travel party. She also can't wait to travel in the off season.

Depending on the grade he is in, we took our daughter out at age 9 and age 12 for two off-season cruises and they were great. She just took her schoolwork with her -- but what a great place to do schoolwork ;)

Depending on the grade he is in, we took our daughter out at age 9 and age 12 for two off-season cruises and they were great. She just took her schoolwork with her -- but what a great place to do schoolwork ;)

After next week he will officially be a Sophomore. He is in honor's classes and has marching band August - October (unless they make playoffs and then it just goes on and on!). I took oldest DS out for a week in 6th grade and even though we brought the work he had a tough time catching up especially in math. It's only another 3 years. My mom did mention sneaking in an adult only trip to Paris after he graduates (2021) and before we take my niece on her graduation trip (2022). We'll both survive and have plenty of empty nest years to travel at our leisure.

I feel the same way! I really want to see the beauty of Alaska but I hate the cold. Packing my hat, gloves and parka is not how I envision my vacation. I know I will do it one day but it just keeps getting pushed back.

They are introducing a new mega class ship in 2020, in addition to the 3rd Vista class ship. The mega ship is being built in Finland so speculation is it will spend the summer doing Northern Europe cruises. There might be some hope for you.

Hmm, I wonder if they will launch another ship so soon after Panorama. It debuts December 2019 and if the next one is up in 2020 I am not sure they would launch it in time for summer in Europe. I would love to know though as we are booked on Princess for N. Europe in 2019 and the prices are giving me heart palpitations. I wouldn't mind putting it off until 2020 if I could get Carnival prices!

Currently trying to convince my husband to change our Amber Cove - Grand Turk cruise for a stay at Aulani in Hawaii.

I have a feeling it's not going to work... :scratchin

Oh well, I tried... :blush:

EDIT: He said no for 2019 but yes for 2020. Now I have to get the in-laws on board (I actually thought about it because it's my FIL lifetime dream).

Last edited:

That's good to hear. Our son starts middle school this year and my husband has it in his head that we can't take him out of middle school. I'm not that concerned and think he'd be fine. We've got the 11-night Canary Islands cruise booked in March 2019 and he'd have to miss a week of school for that. The summer British Isles cruise would be good because he wouldn't miss any school. But the Canary Islands cruise is $3600 for 11-nights and the British Isles is $8400 for 12-nights. Same ship, same room even.

mevelandry and trvlgirlmq - go to Alaska! Seriously! It's amazing! :) One of the best cruises ever! We went the last cruise of the season, beginning of September, and it wasn't that cold. We only wore our "big" coats one day. We went to Fairbanks last March - now that was cold! :)

That's good to hear. Our son starts middle school this year and my husband has it in his head that we can't take him out of middle school. I'm not that concerned and think he'd be fine. We've got the 11-night Canary Islands cruise booked in March 2019 and he'd have to miss a week of school for that. The summer British Isles cruise would be good because he wouldn't miss any school. But the Canary Islands cruise is $3600 for 11-nights and the British Isles is $8400 for 12-nights. Same ship, same room even.

mevelandry and trvlgirlmq - go to Alaska! Seriously! It's amazing! :) One of the best cruises ever! We went the last cruise of the season, beginning of September, and it wasn't that cold. We only wore our "big" coats one day. We went to Fairbanks last March - now that was cold! :)

It's not me you have to convince, but my DH!

Hi group,

Have you done the Atlantis Beach Day & Discover Atlantis through Carnival?

DH and I decided to get Atlantis out of our system but couldn't see ourselves booking Aquaventure as it is way too expensive (100$ than the beach day but includes lunch).

We decided to opt for the "Beach Day" after reading reviews who seemed to indicate that you can also swim at the lagoon (which is exclusive to Atlantis and surrounded by the grounds of Atlantis... I kinda have a crush on the lagoon, go figure!) ... and The Cove beach?

I though of having lunch at the Lagoon Bar (lunch isn't included in the excursion) but I wonder if it's the best "cheap eat" inside the resort? Heard mixed reviews regarding the Marina Village restaurants so I think I'd like to eat inside the resort.

How long did it take for the transportation to get there? How did it go?

How does it work when you want to come back? Does your guide meet you somewhere?

Any tips from you would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I'm not stalking, I promise. I just do an 'Atlantis' search occasionally to see if I can answer any questions.
I though of having lunch at the Lagoon Bar (lunch isn't included in the excursion) but I wonder if it's the best "cheap eat" inside the resort? Heard mixed reviews regarding the Marina Village restaurants so I think I'd like to eat inside the resort.
Most of the Marina Village food venues aren't open for lunch. The few that are open aren't really worth leaving the beach area to go to.

For lunch, there are two sit-down places that are convenient to the beach/lagoon: The Lagoon Bar and Grill and Virgil's Real BBQ. Both are fine. Lagoon is nice setting (that's it under the shell dome):

CasualDining_LagoonBar.jpg

And they usually open the outdoor dining area at Virgil's for lunch:

CasualDining_Virgils_OutdoorPatio.jpg

Otherwise lunch at Atlantis is from counter service places sprinkled throughout the pool and beach areas. Lunch at the sit-downs is probably $15-$20 for and entree with a side, plus $4-$5 for a soft drink. Think Disney sit-down prices at lunch. The counter service places all have value combos, that are $10-$12 that include, a burger, fries, and soda. Again, a lot like Disney counter service prices. Though the 15% mandatory gratuity is changed at the counter service places.

A typical counter service menu, with ala carte prices and several value meals (sorry its blurry...best i could find):
4205f9524bf72589b77e6b05f4dc90f9.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not stalking, I promise. I just do an 'Atlantis' search occasionally to see if I can answer any questions.
Most of the Marina Village food venues aren't open for lunch. The few that are open aren't really worth leaving the beach area to go to.

For lunch, there are two sit-down places that are convenient to the beach/lagoon: The Lagoon Bar and Grill and Virgil's Real BBQ. Both are fine. Lagoon is nice setting (that's it under the shell dome):

CasualDining_LagoonBar.jpg

And they usually open the outdoor dining area at Virgil's for lunch:

CasualDining_Virgils_OutdoorPatio.jpg

Otherwise lunch at Atlantis is from counter service places sprinkled throughout the pool and beach areas. Lunch at the sit-downs is probably $15-$20 for and entree with a side, plus $4-$5 for a soft drink. Think Disney sit-down prices at lunch. The counter service places all have value combos, that are $10-$12 that include, a burger, fries, and soda. Again, a lot like Disney counter service prices. Though the 15% mandatory gratuity is changed at the counter service places.

(OMG, SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!)

Thanks for the informations. This is the kind of price I was expecting. And we always tip 20% but we'll check if the gratuity is included on the bill first.

I need your help everyone. Has anyone been on Anthem of the Seas? We are booked on Carnival Horizon for June 2019, 8 night Southern Caribbean. We’ve already done the exact same same itinerary on Vista last year. We were planning on doing Havana but now have a 5th person so cannot do Havana. We can do connecting balconies on deck 8 for $7500. For the heck of it, I looked into RCCL. We can do a 9 night Bermuda and Caribbean cruise which hits Bermuda, St Maarten, San Juan and Labadee. We’ve only been to St Maarten before so the other 3 ports are brand new. The Royal Cruise is also 2 connecting balconies on deck 8 for $42 more. We love Carnival and don’t know if we’ll like Royal.

Anthem looks like an awesome ship but there are some things I don’t like about her, like the food options. It seems food is very spread out and not a lot of it near the pools. I’m also not sure they have all the trivia and activities that we enjoy so much on Carnival.

I don’t know what to do, any help from RCCL cruisers????

I need your help everyone. Has anyone been on Anthem of the Seas? We are booked on Carnival Horizon for June 2019, 8 night Southern Caribbean. We’ve already done the exact same same itinerary on Vista last year. We were planning on doing Havana but now have a 5th person so cannot do Havana. We can do connecting balconies on deck 8 for $7500. For the heck of it, I looked into RCCL. We can do a 9 night Bermuda and Caribbean cruise which hits Bermuda, St Maarten, San Juan and Labadee. We’ve only been to St Maarten before so the other 3 ports are brand new. The Royal Cruise is also 2 connecting balconies on deck 8 for $42 more. We love Carnival and don’t know if we’ll like Royal.

Anthem looks like an awesome ship but there are some things I don’t like about her, like the food options. It seems food is very spread out and not a lot of it near the pools. I’m also not sure they have all the trivia and activities that we enjoy so much on Carnival.

I 've never been on Royal but that sounds like an amazing itinerary! Bremuda, St. Maarten, San Juan and Labadee-- awesome. We are interested in trying Royal too and almost booked the Allure end of May 2019 for a 7 night Caribbean. We are still on the fence. Make sure you are booking refundable if that's important to your party. That was confusing to me on Royal's website.

I 've never been on Royal but that sounds like an amazing itinerary! Bremuda, St. Maarten, San Juan and Labadee-- awesome. We are interested in trying Royal too and almost booked the Allure end of May 2019 for a 7 night Caribbean. We are still on the fence. Make sure you are booking refundable if that's important to your party. That was confusing to me on Royal's website.
We always book refundable, we change our minds all the time!

You said food near the pool. When I was originally booked on the Anthem of the Sea for Oct 2018 (before switching for an Eastern with Carnival) I have booked the Solarium Bistro (it's included but smaller so it has to be booked) which is near the Solarium pool. However, I'm not sure kids can go eat there.

People in the RCCL section are quite useful when it comes to infos like that.

Unfortunately my first RCCL cruise will only happen in October 2019.

Wonderful itinerary by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter