Car Size for EVC

Tigger&Belle

<font color=blue>I'm the good girl on the DIS<br><
I'd originally reserved a fullsized car for my upcoming trip, but I'm hoping that my mother will rent an EVC. If she rents one from the parks and likes it we'll try to secure an EVC for the week. Therefore, I wanted to be prepared to cart one around. I decided that the Taurus size car wouldn't be big enough to store the EVC in the trunk, so I also reserved a minivan. At the time the minivan was only $20 more than a fullsize. Now the cars have dropped in price (the minivans haven't) and I can get a good deal on a fullsize or a premium car and the premium is about $20 less than the minivan (with the fullsize about $45 less than a minivan).

Will an EVC fit in the trunk of a Chrysler 300 or similar car? We can't use the backseat for storage because there will be 4 of us. We will also have a stroller and our park bags, but we should be able to put some of that in the back seat.

What to do? I leave in less than 2 days so need to finally make a decision. I do normally drive a minivan so I'd prefer to drive one in Orlando, but if I can save some $ on the rental that would be good, too.

T&B

I have a 97 Taurus and have found a new way to easily fit my ECV in the trunk. Note mine used to be a rental, so is the same size. These instructions will make sense when you try it.

First put the seat on the ground. Then put the battery packs one on each side of the trunk toward the bumper. Separate the mototr/drive assembly from the main body. Lower the tiller as far as it will go on the side of the seat post closest to you (and away from the car). Lift up on the front of the frame and the seat post; put the front in the trunk rolling it to one corner near the seat -- then swing the back so the side is flush against the seatback. There is now enough room for the motor/drive assembly and seat in the trunk. There should even be room for some bags to be squeezed in, but not a stroller.

If you can get a good price on a Premium or Luxury that will give even more trunk room.

Thanks! If I end up going with the car I will bring your instructions with me. Of course reading them without actually having the EVC in front of me was like reading greek, but no doubt they make sense if I was actually taking it apart. I did change the fullsize ressie to a premium, so that should help. Now I just have to decide if I'll rent the car or the minivan. Last night I found out that my brother-in-law is going to join us for a few days, so that means we wouldn't have room in the car for the stroller, etc, and that everything would have to fit in the trunk.

I wish I knew if my mother would end up renting an EVC for her stay, but even she doesn't know. I have a feeling that she'll just rent from the parks for the days she really needs one.

She's concerned that she'll have a hard time controlling the EVC, especially since she'll want to be looking around and "taking everything in" (she's never been to WDW).

T&B

Have your Mother go to the nearest Grocery Store or Walmart and try out their EVC's!! They will be a lot like what she would rent at WDW. The off site rented ones can be a little more zippy but many have switch for slow or fast. Plus if she can drive a car and talk to you she should be Fine!! :moped:

My mother is visiting my sister now and I did have her bring our mother to Wal-Mart so she could try the EVC out. Our mother was VERY cautious at first and became a little better after a while.

Oh, no, she can't drive a car and talk. LOL Don't ask. ;)

T&B

Cheshire Figment's instructions will make a whole lot more sense once you see the ECV. Believe me - been there, done that! Actually the first time I rented an ECV, we didn't know it came with instructions (in the pocket behind the seat) until we returned it :). My husband & our friend lifted it in & out of the trunk (with the batteries attached, too!). Now we know better! I think I still have a printout of Cheshire Figment's instructions in my WDW folder :).

Personally I think the ECVs I see at Walmart & grocery stores is larger than the one your mom will have to manuever at WDW. So if she can do the Walmart one, she can do the WDW one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter