Capt cooks and contempo cafe?

Meridagal

Mouseketeer
Are either of these places worth leaving magic kingdom for? We are thinking of forgoing the dining plan this trip and looking for options. Can you see the monorail from contempo cafe? I heard capt cooks has outdoor seating. What is the view of?

IMHO, no, neither are worth leaving MK for. If you are looking for good QS in the area, I would consider CHH at MK. Sitting on the second floor is quite nice as you have a view of MK from the windows. You could also eat at Pinocchio's and see IASW from there.

Yes, you can see the monorail from Contempo. There is indoor and outdoor seating at Capt. Cook's. Not much of a view though as the pool gate sort of blocks the view. You will see the pool and splash area. You can always walk down to the beach to see MK.

I'm a fan of Contempo Cafe and would try to schedule it either before or after visiting the Magic Kingdom, so that it wouldn't be a round trip just for the meal.

Captain Cooks has always been a favorite of mine since way back in the day. Now their menu is unique as far as QS locations go and have a lot of variety to choose from. I recommend the Pulled Pork Nachos if you decide to go there.

Haven't ate at the Contempo Cafe so I can't speak on it.

I don't think any of the monorail resort QS restaurants are worth taking time out of your MK day, unless you really want get out of the park for a bit.

We left MK once to go to Contempo Cafe. The food was very good for QS, the desserts are pretty too. It's quite loud with Chef Mickey's right next door, but it's fun. I wouldn't go out of my way to get there, but if it works with your schedule, and you've never been to CR before, do it. I did find the Mary Blair mural and monorails wizzing by overhead quite nice.

On our next trip, DS *really* wants to try Tonga Toast, so we will head to Captain Cook's for the first time. I find this a PITA because we have to get there during breakfast hours. This will be the first time we have Hoppers, so I was thinking of RDing MK, going to Captain Cook's, then taking the monorail over to Epcot afterwards (something we've never done). Basically, I will build our day around that Tonga Toast *sigh*

I prefer Capt Cooks to anything QS in the MK. Since it's all the same thing different QS there except CHH (where I personally can't go bc allergies) and Casey's (hot dogs).

CC has a much better variety.

We left MK once to go to Contempo Cafe. The food was very good for QS, the desserts are pretty too. It's quite loud with Chef Mickey's right next door, but it's fun. I wouldn't go out of my way to get there, but if it works with your schedule, and you've never been to CR before, do it. I did find the Mary Blair mural and monorails wizzing by overhead quite nice.

On our next trip, DS *really* wants to try Tonga Toast, so we will head to Captain Cook's for the first time. I find this a PITA because we have to get there during breakfast hours. This will be the first time we have Hoppers, so I was thinking of RDing MK, going to Captain Cook's, then taking the monorail over to Epcot afterwards (something we've never done). Basically, I will build our day around that Tonga Toast *sigh*
The things we do for our children. The only reason I want to do contempo cafe is for my ds(2). He loves monorails and if we don't do the dining plan then I figure the cafe would be a cheap way for us to eat and for him to see them.

The things we do for our children. The only reason I want to do contempo cafe is for my ds(2). He loves monorails and if we don't do the dining plan then I figure the cafe would be a cheap way for us to eat and for him to see them.

If your DS2 is into the monorail, I think you'd all really like it - especially if you take a loop trip on the monorail.

Here's a great video of the restaurant - you can see how close it is to Chef Mickey's, the mural and the monorail.

Captain Cooks has good food, but the outdoor seating is a view of the pool and great kids splash area...(which would be torture for a young child that isn’t staying at the Poly)

Captain Cooks is one of my favorites - though I agree it would be torture to sit outside and watch the kids splash area. Heck, even I wanted to sneak in and cool off! But the inside seating is pretty plentiful.

For the hassle of leaving the MK, I'm not sure any QS spot is worth it unless you want to explore the hotel or ride the monorail. We often spend the morning at MK, late lunch at Captain Cooks, and then rent a sea raycer for awhile. That might be a fun break :)

Captain Cooks has good food, but the outdoor seating is a view of the pool and great kids splash area...(which would be torture for a young child that isn’t staying at the Poly)
Thank you for warning me! One day I would love to stay at the Poly.

If your DS2 is into the monorail, I think you'd all really like it - especially if you take a loop trip on the monorail.

Here's a great video of the restaurant - you can see how close it is to Chef Mickey's, the mural and the monorail.
Thanks my son will love this! I had no idea you could see the mural and monorail. I think this will work great for our midday break. I think we may need to order a cupcake.

I would choose Contempo over Captain Cook's. I like the variety at Contempo Cafe. Captain Cook's is OK, but i find the whole set-up awkward. I was there one morning for breakfast and all the coffee urns were empty. It took them 10 minutes to get one ready... :(

Thanks my son will love this! I had no idea you could see the mural and monorail. I think this will work great for our midday break. I think we may need to order a cupcake.
If you are going during the holiday season you can then take the monorail around to see the decorations at each resort.

Out of the two, I prefer Contempo, but I also wouldn't leave the park for either quick service unless things are so crazy in the parks that it will take forever to eat.

I like them both, and I also get tired with too much MK noise and chaos, so a qs option at a nearby resort always suits me. I prefer eating at nearby resorts actually,it's a best kept qs 'secret' lol

Honestly, both are worth leaving MK for. But the best option (which you didn't mention) is Gasparilla Grill at the GF! That is a really good CS, plenty of seating, and usually quiet and relaxing.

I’m planning on doing an Epcot Break at Contempo the day on my vacation when Epcot is open until 11pm with night EMH. With that many hours I figure a couple to go sit and chill will be nice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!