• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cancellation Questions

cinderella97

DIS Veteran
We just found out that my dh needs to have back surgery tomorrow. We are suppose to go to HHI in 3 1/2 weeks. I know we are into the 30 days that we must use our points before December, what are my chances for changing it later in the summer? Is it too late to buy the cancellation insurance? There is the off chance that he might be able to go, but we are driving from Detroit, and we would need to take several breaks. So I wasn't going to cancel until about 7 days out. Must we use our points in the holding account at a Disney resort? Or can we use it for the conceirge collection? Grand Hotel at Mackinaw would be my preference since it's right here in Michigan.
Just keep us in your prayers that things go well.
Thank you so much

When you are within 60 days from the end of your use year you can only use them for DVC accommodations.

Sorry about your DH - hope the surgery goes very well and that he recovers quickly.

You can use holding account points for something in one of the "Collections" - but there are restrictions. You still have to make the reservation 60 days or less from arrival, but as manning posted, you can't make the reservation for a non-DVC option during the last 60 days of your use year.

Call MS if you are interested in doing an exchange via II - not entirely sure how that works if you want to use holding account points.

I'm pretty sure it's too late to buy cancellation insurance - guess you'll need to call MS to be sure. Keep in mind that even if you can get the insurance, you'll only get back about $5/point and you "forfeit" the points. If it were me, I'd try to reschedule or book something in the Conceirge Collection (The Grand sounds great. I also hear good things about the Kohler Resort from friends and Wisconsin is certainly within driving distance for you). I'd even rent before I'd go the trip cancellation route. Bet you can get more than $5/point renting, even if it's a last minute arrangement.

Best wishes-

If you don't have to use the points until December, you should be able to find availability at HH during Sept or October. Those are supposed to be perfect months to travel to HH. Otherwise, renting is the way to go. Good Luck.

Cinderella97

I'm hoping all goes well with your husbands surgery and yu will not have to cancel.

But i suggest you call member services and see what your options are. I have heard that under special circumstance they are more lienient about deadlines. Certainly can not hurt to ask.

Good Luck

Deb

You may want to try and rent the reservation over at the rent/trade board.

Cheryl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter