Canadian Buffoon's DISmeet vacation - 05/20 - Cruisin' California

Discussion in 'Disney Trip Reports' started by pkondz, Mar 11, 2018.

1. franandaj

franandaj I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!

No one said anything about exclusivity! :rolleyes1

You know I really don't know. Perhaps it's all the getting the old house ready for the renovation. They started the Demo yesterday. But it just seems that I don't have any time in my chair in front of my computer. Usually by the time that I actually sit down in the evening, I'm eating dinner and once I finish that, I'm too brain dead to form sentences. Or I reply and then forget that I replied and reply a second time from my phone in the morning when I get up. :rolleyes1

Well it's not a done deal and it wouldn't be until 2020 anyways. Next week I'm off to KC, MO for the annual Band Conference. Because Fran, myself and the conductor of our band are the only three people from the LA band going to the conference, the band asked Fran and I to be the delegates for the "business" part of the conference. I got our "packet" in an email the other day. One of the things the Delegates do is vote on where the conference will be in two year. Next year, the conference will include a performance at Universal Orlando. I was kind of bummed to find that out. I knew that the three Florida bands had teamed up to host it in Orlando, but I had hoped it was at Disney. Our band bid for the 2019 conference but Florida won. Thank God! Fran and I put on a conference in 2005 and I don't want to do it again!
    Anyhoo....while reading the packet, the bid(s) for the 2020 conference were included. There was only one. The Rose City band of Portland. Soooooo, unless something strange happens, it's pretty likely that the conference will be in Portland. We can drive there and stop at my folks for a night or two on the way up and back. Hopefully I could meet up with Liesa at some point in there.

:laughing:

Even if I knew exactly what you did for every minute of your days, I would still enjoy hearing your spin on the thing!

Still haven't had time....

I did, she wasn't impressed.

That's somewhere else. I guess at that point it was the place where everyone knew the way....You know, Do you know the way to San Jose...

Pretty much no. I remember when they bulldozed the place where I cut the apricots and built houses on it. I don't know the details, I had already moved away to college, but I remember my Mom telling me something about the houses selling in a lottery to keep them affordable. Real Estate there is crazy now. My parents listed their house for $1.8M 5 years ago and it sold for $2.4M. They paid $60K in 1969.

::yes::

I didn't know the term, and thought she was just making it up. It wasn't until I got to school and met people who didn't live in upscale affluent areas that I realized what she was talking about.

My parents gave us a $20 bill and said, "ride your bikes to Jack in the Box".

This is what my kitties eat.

Well, sort of. My friends who really grew up there had it down much better than I did, but when I worked for Alfred and did trade shows in Canada all the Canadians bought it! :thumbsup2

Well probably the whole lesbian thing had something to do with it. Better to give the kids to the deadbeat dad than a woman of questionable integrity!

There's not much to tell. Julie and I reconnected many years later. By then Fran and I had become active in the Palm Springs Community, we drove out there every other Thursday to play in their band. She was on the board of the pride committee and kept her married last name. So I asked Julie and she said, "yup that's my Mom."

I'm pretty sure that's what I did. If even that.

No just grossed out.

No it's not a delicacy. It's just gross.

I'm still traumatized!

OK so next time you visit, we're going to the Japanese garden at Cal State, playing duets while you shower us with money, and doing a fish taco tasting. :thumbsup2

I see this as a plan!

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 1:52 PM
  2. vamassey1

vamassey1 DIS Veteran

But it didn't cost you anything.

Reminds me of New Orleans.

I'm thinking something is missing from this exhibit.

I've never had it.

I'll use tarter if cocktail is not available, but it's not my first choice.

I'll give it another looksee.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

Aaaahh, of course! Much better.

Oh. Yes. Oh dear.

Yes, the Seaport Market should only ever exclusively be experienced on a Saturday in the mid-to-late spring or summer. A lot of the vendors only come on weekends, and even then many of them only on Saturdays. And the produce folks only have interesting stuff once growing season starts. I went on a Sunday in the late fall once, and was incredibly depressed and left. And don't even get me started about weekdays. It's so sad any other time besides those magical spring/summer Saturdays.

5. pkondz

pkondz . . Dis Dad #797 . . Hoping to get lucky

I feel so .... used!

No, wait.... that should
    probably be you!

You're working too hard, Alison.
    I hope you'll take a few minutes
    to recoup and rest.

Nah. That'll never happen.

:rolleyes1

Bummer about it being in Universal...
    but that doesn't mean you can't pop over, does it?
    And... I can see putting on a conference
    would be a huge undertaking.
    I doubt you need that right now!

That'd be nice. :)

Okay, maybe I'll ask
    for tips next time.
    (If/when)

At the visual or the fact?

Not a bad rate of return!

"Oh! So that's what that means!"

We were just talking about that!

Not surprised at all. :)

I know I would!

Huh.
    You know... I didn't even think
    about the lesbian part of it.
    Wow.

Well, there ya go. :)

I can see that.

Tell me how you really feel!

Awwww.... poor Alison. :)

6. pkondz

You're welcome.

Okay, phew!
    I was worried I'd insulted you!

I've been twice.
    The second time...
    I think there was someone
    selling honey or something.

That was it.

MeghanEmily likes this.
  7. irene_dsc

irene_dsc DIS Veteran

I actually like both kinds of fish tacos, tho I don't get them all that often. We used to live by a restaurant that had shrimp burritos, with battered and fried (small) shrimp. Those were quite yummy, too. Now I want one, lol. And fish tacos.

It looks like you went to a bunch of places I've visited in LA! Dh went to school at USC, so he dragged me to a few places, including the Bradbury Building, La Brea Tar Pits, the market, the Disney concert hall (which of course wasn't there when he was a student, but he wanted to see it, too!).

8. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

I can't even imagine how people make any money or sell anything those days. The whole place is just empty. But when it's good, it's really quite lovely.

9. pkondz

My TR made you hungry!

The burritos sound good, though.
    Had shrimp tonight.
    I added them in to the
    chicken rice/noodle bowls I made.

Cool!
    What else did you see?

10. pkondz

It sure looked different
    in the photos I've found online.

11. franandaj

That's not the problem, I keep getting left behind.

See, I can be helpful.

Not at all! :goodvibes

Maybe at some point. The kitchen at the old place is almost all demoed. They brought me samples for the cabinets and carpeting today. Now we just need to find the money to pay for it. But Fran is already talking about things we can do "once we have money again."

Evidently not.

I'm pretty sure that I would. Maybe I should have requested a trip there for my birthday. Next time I get to "choose" something I'm going to pick a weekday afternoon there!

No I was just guessing that was how big each one of those chops were. Fran was not as thrilled when I mentioned it to her. We buy our choice Rib Eyes for $5.99 per pound so there's that.

The cats only get the above mentioned $5.99 per lb meat. Unless it goes too long and it's too old for us to eat it.

Most of the ones that I have had contained either ground beef in a Mexican style sauce, or carnitas. I've also had a killer cheese Empanada accompanying a Tequila and Agave tasting.

Well....if the shoe fits....

OK, we can add that one to the plan as well. I haven't been there since we had lunch there on the start of my 50th birthday weekend.

Yeah, for some reason my phone had saved all the comments that I had posted last night. When I woke up this morning, I was like...."Oh I didn't finish this one. I only have a few more quotes and I'll have that one done...."

When I sat down at my computer I was like, "uh...did I answer that one last night?"

12. pkondz

Alison?
    You've used those words before.
    I remember.

I will never leave you behind.
    I hope you know that.

I'd say you've been a bit
    more than simply "helpful". :)

Ah money.
    The root of all....

well, almost everything.

You could do much worse.
    I would go back in a heartbeat.
    Heck, there's food there
    that I want to try!

Oh, okay. :)

I assumed empanadas
    were ground beef as you described.
    I was very surprised to see I
    was "wrong". :)

... look for the other one.

I love how you're making
    plans for me that I may
    never be able to do.

I've seen this before.
    I'm on my phone and hit send and...
    ...it looks like it didn't go.

I try again and...
    "You must wait 30 seconds before posting."

...and it's there.

13. franandaj

Especially since you are having virtual imaginary relationships with many of your female TR followers! Me? I don't discriminate! :laughing:

Well we are going out this evening to take advantage of a coupon Fran got in an email for 3 courses for two for $25. Soup/salad, entree (includes Fish & Chips, Salisbury Steak, Chicken Fried Steak, among others, and then a slice of pie for dessert! At least I'm not cooking after all the stuff she had me moving out of the garage.

Oh, I'm debating whether or not to do the Disney stay before the conference or after, or both. You know we can write off the airfare for charitable contributions! As well as the hotel.

It's a huge undertaking that I don't need at this point in my life! Or even later in my life. I'm too old for this!

It would be fun to meet her on her turf. Plus we could show up somewhat early (conferences generally they start on Thursday, but this one has a funny schedule. It may get changed in debate at the conference next week.) Either way we could arrive the day before it starts and have some time to hang out before and maybe after.

Wasn't that a musical starring Idina Menzel?

Not sure.

Too bad they had taken out so many lines of Equity and additional mortgages.

We were? Where?

Well they get one can of that and five cans of Friskies.

Yeah back then, that was worse than most everything else.

:lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

::yes:: Poor me!

14. pkondz

Of course I am!
    I'm surrounded by beautiful,
    wonderful, amazing women!

Although... I gotta tell ya.

That @Captain_Oblivious is pretty cute, too.

Yum!

Sorry... I zoned out after you said "pie".

I vote for both!

Nah. You're not old.
    You're just smarter.

That sounds like it'd be fun. :)

:lmao:

Ah. Well... poop.

We were talking about how
    I'd never been to Jack in the Box.
    You said something like
    "You're not missing much."

:sad2:

15. franandaj

You are so sweet! :hug:

I just like to be thorough!

Yeah and it's necessary for renovating. Contractors like to be paid! :lmao:

Yes I have seen so many programs on the Farmer's market and yet have never been!

I bet this place just wants to be different!

Well you gotta dream! Since I don't have money to do it, I'm going to do it for you!

It's the problem of the saving on the phone while the computer posts then the phone doesn't know the computer posted.

Should I blush or be jealous?

:laughing: He is cute, but it's a hard choice between the two of you!

Yeah well I had the winner on pie choice. Simple apple pie.

Me too. I just have to get Fran to agree .

Thanks.

Yes it would be. I hope that it comes to fruition!

Yes that is true. Its OK, no In-N-out.

16. pkondz

That you are!

Ingrates.
    They should do it out of the
    kindness of their hearts.

No?

:laughing: Okay!

Ah yes. That too.

Both!

Hah! I don't have to choose
    between us.

17. irene_dsc

irene_dsc DIS Veteran

I'm sure I'll leave some places out, but I'll try! Of course, he had to show me the USC campus, including the rose garden. We also went to a football game once (USC, of course). LACMA (the art museum). Santa Monica Pier (guess that could've been mentioned earlier, oops). In Pasadena, Huntington Gardens (which has a Japanese Garden section, btw), and the Gamble House (amazing Arts & Crafts house designed by Greene & Greene).

18. mustinjourney

mustinjourney DIS Veteran

I know I'm late to the party here -- but I'll go ahead and comment now.

I'm guessing you couldn't find the toilet paper under the sink? hahaha

[​IMG]

apparently that isn't even CLOSE to the most expensive doughnut. This thing has 24K gold!

upload_2018-5-17_12-1-15.jpeg

Marvin is a famous actor at WB -- definitely deserves to be on the wall of fame.

19. mustinjourney

full house house?

I do feel lucky -- but I ain't no punk!

Marvin apparently is objecting to the marriage?

20. mustinjourney

Is it bad that I was hoping you did get a ticket? it would have made the story funnier.

You also unloaded yourself from the car.

upload_2018-5-17_12-23-15.jpeg

that sounds good. Those all looked really good -- I would have had a hard time choosing, and might have talked myself into buying 4 or 5 of them and taking them home.

trust me -- traffic is bad enough -- you do NOT want a wreck -- it will make it 100x worse.

Wedge salads are so damn good. Especially if they have some really thick smoked bacon and good bleu cheese dressing.

not yet -- I'll have to take a third look.

*ETA -- third times a charm. Marvin got in the nuts business!

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 1:33 PM
  21. pkondz

Nice little list. :)

I considered Huntington Gardens,
    but there are only so many
    hours in the day.
    By the time I had enough
    time to see them, it was too late.