Can you do Universal in 1 day? Sure you can! March 5-7 whirlwind trip

So sweet how you are so enjoying your couple time! There is something special about an adults only trip! Nice that the parks are so uncrowded! Seems that never happens when we are there.

Laughed out loud about your "peep" show on the Trolley ride! You do see it all in Orlando!

We arrive at Kings Cross and head through London. We stop for a drink and notice Fear Factor is getting ready to start. While enjoying the show we get a call from our youngest during the end. He is missing us and my guilt is setting in. Then I remind him and myself, don't worry we will be home in 24 short hours. 'Oh mom, it's snowing right now too.' Thanks kid. I send a few pics of the show and he is jealous. That'll teach him for telling me about the white stuff!

We go by Men in Black and I flash my baby blues at hubby, 'wanna shoot some aliens?' Nope, not in the mood. Bummer, I've never been on this ride, but I'm enjoying his company. There is always next time. I realize I've never even walked by here. We always cut across the bridge I suppose. I didn't even know it was there until I read about it on the Dis a while back.

Next up, Springfield. I don't ask him about the Simpsons ride, I can only take so much rejection! Honestly though, I was a tiny bit queasy on this one before, so I knew better than to encourage him on this one. He notices Homer, Marge and the kids are out for pics and hardly a line so he tries getting me to meet them. No way! I'm a grown woman. That's silly. He laughs and we head to the Kwik-E-Mart. We found where all the people in the parks were...in there. In and out. We were kwik. I longingly check out Lard Lad's, they still have those giant apple fritters. Mmmm. I'm not hungry. Since when do you have to be hungry for a yummy treat? Back and forth my eyes and mind fight before my logic wins. No... do not need... you are fine. Just because they are delicious and you can't get them anywhere else does not mean you need it... just go. Get out of Springfield. Homer would be so disappointed in me.

Onto SpongeBob Storepants. My kids grew up on SpongeBob so it's of course a treat to walk through. We find a perfect t-shirt for our youngest with Patrick on it.

We head down Hollywood Blvd. and see a drink stand with Mardi Gras drinks. He gets in line and I sit on the curb across from Mel's and see a parade coming. He joins me holding a flashing cup with something yummy looking. I take a big drink and hate it. He hates it. I get up to go ask for something else, but he says he's ok. The parade is lots of fun, it's the first time he's seen it, so he snaps away and is sending pics to people that are asking where we are. He didn't brag about his x-mas gift and I didn't tell many people where we were going. 'Have fun with that!' We start walking and decide it's time I finally get to go on Shrek. We start discussing the Mardi Gras parade and if we want to see that or go see the light show at Hogwarts. I wasn't sure if both were doable. Mid sentence he points and I follow his gaze and I am star struck. Omg. Is that really her?? Should I? No, its silly. No, gain your composure girl. That's really her! No crowds around, how can she not be being mobbed?? I might've, I'm not saying I did, run/skip/hop over to her. A team member had to tell me, 'just a minute miss.' Oh, she did have fans that wanted a pic. He says 'ok, its your turn.' Oh man, I am standing right next to Hello Kitty! DH had the biggest grin behind his phone as he snaps away. I know, I know, I'm a grown woman. Throw that back in my face. But at the moment I was a little girl.

A snack is in order now. Just down the way, there are food booths for Mardi Gras. He settles on beignets and I'm not feeling like anything. I'll give his a try. They were ok. We did have a little something else planned in a while so maybe I was holding out. It's unusual that my body thinks it's not hungry. We sit on Jimmy Fallon's steps and eat and watch the Mardi Gras TMs greet people. I'm starting to want to watch the MG parade, but this is his trip and I'm happy to just be here. I told him I would like to check out Jimmy and he can come through with me. He asked what the ride was like, I said from my understanding its like the minions. He said he would ride it. We finished our snack and he saw a roller coaster track down at the end of the building. It just took one look and I laughed and said, 'no I wouldn't do that to you! that's a different ride!' We walked through and my expectations were low due to what I have read on here. I did enjoy seeing the Emmy's. But yes, the museum part was underwhelming. I like Jimmy, but I only know him from his SNL days. I don't watch the Tonight Show. The room where you wait to get in line is confusing. I didn't really hear anyone say, hey go get in line. But we followed the crowd as I hoped we weren't all jumping off of a cliff. We were directed to the front row and put our things under the seat. I agree with many that this ride was kind of a waste of money. It makes no sense really. The graphics were great, but that was about it. The front row was a bad spot for us, we got a bit nauseous. There were plenty of seats empty behind us. I'm not sure it would make a difference, but I would probably seat first row after others were filled. But I don't have my theme park degree and they do, so I'm probably being silly. It is a good place to go inside and cool off and charge your phones. There was plenty of seating. I'm not sure if it's always this empty. I walk away thinking I can't believe I wasted that ride on my husband! I would've loved using that ride credit on begging him to ride Gringotts instead.

It's time to go back to Diagon Alley one last time and say goodbye...

Don't worry about missing Men in Black. I like it but there's a couple of times where the ride vehicle spins- a little too much!! We only do the ride once in a while and yes- Simpsons makes me pretty dizzy!
NOOO- not goodbye! just See you soon!

Diagon Alley is a bit crowded by now, but manageable. He asks if I want to try the butterbeer ice cream I said I must try on this trip. I declined, I just wasn't feeling it. I get the whaaaaa look from him and I shrug and move on. We take just a short look around and decide there's nothing we need, so we bid farewell to DA and head to Kings Cross. There is a 20 min wait this time around and once again I am staring at fanny's on the stairs.

It is time to go get something to eat. This I am excited for. I have much better expectations for this than our lunch. We head out the front of Islands. It is time to try Toothsome Chocolate Emporium. It's about 5ish and we get a table right away. This isn't dinner, it's just going to be a really heavy snack to tide us over until after the parks close. I know already what I'm going to get. I might have looked this place up and planned this. I know I said no planning, but this was a hope disguised as a plan? I don't know, I just had to get some tots! "LUCKY!" -Napoleon Dynamite (I probably won't put any in my pocket though) Don't hate me because I'm friends with Napoleon, we all have movies we secretly love but don't like to admit. I take a look at the ginormous menu to see if anything else sways me. Oh man, it all looks good. I stick to my non-plan and get the Totchos. DH orders the May contain nuts dessert. Spicy and sweet, we are a good pair! The restaurant is fairly quiet. We chose a good time. I noticed some of the dishes other people had and they were quite large sized and delicious looking. I told him this restaurant is modeled after something called steampunk, whatever that is. He giggled and tried to explain it to me. Ok... I can't be the only one that doesn't understand or have never heard of this. (since our trip I have polled family and friends, and yes I am the only one) Our waiter is wonderful and doesn't act like we are wasting his time by ordering so little. Our 'snack' comes and oh man, they are large portions and look fabulous. We dig in and both have a moment. Then we dig into each other's and have another moment. We made very good choices. His dessert is soft serve peanut butter ice cream, peanut brittle, peanut butter cups, peanut butter pie, whipped cream, peanut butter sauce and reeses pieces. Mine is tots, green chili sauce, pork belly, Andouille sausage and cheese sauce. As we eat and smile, we get a visit from a Victorian? looking lady and a robot? looking guy. (I still don't understand the theme) they are funny and tell DH he ordered something healthy because ice cream has vanilla and vanilla is a bean. It was a cute interaction. We struggle a bit and give up in defeat. We just can't finish either dish. I don't know how people can get apps, a meal, and a dessert here too. But I may try in the future. We all need challenges in life. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but I think we spent just under $40 including tip. We checked out the gift shop and bought a little gift of chocolate and thought we better get back to the park! Time is a wasting!!

We wander through some more shops and make our way to Hogwarts. He decides to skip the Mardi Gras parade and I am ok with it. I'm dragging a bit and don't mind slowing down. I get my last butterbeer for this trip and I ask the TM if there is a good place to watch the light show out of the way of the crowd. He tells me to stay to the right and back a bit because people tend to rush as far front as possible and it's not necessary. There are lines on the ground that kind of corral the crowds. Only so many people are allowed to watch the show at once, so before the bend that you go around to see the castle, there is a line on the ground that holds people until you are released to go see the next show. When we walk up there isn't much of a crowd yet and we are behind one set of people standing behind the line on the ground. (I hope I'm making sense) All the while there are TM's shouting directions, something to the effect of stay behind the line until we are released to move forward, they are shouting this quite often. People are starting to crowd in and get up in my bubble. Then we are starting to get pushed a little. I was a bit afraid, I told DH I'm worried once they release us I am going to be knocked down and never heard from again. He grabbed a hold of me and I put my arms around him as much as I can, he's a big guy. I feel body parts rubbing up on my hand that is around him, and I felt every groove of a lady, I mean everything... she pushes past him and is trying to get her son underneath my husband and the person standing next to him. I tell her there is no need for that and that was gross feeling her. The lady in front of us gave her a talking to also but she just stared ahead, her poor boy was being squished and I couldn't help him, we couldn't move over or back if we wanted to. Next thing I know, another pair of breasts are rubbing up against my hand that is clenched on my DH and I look around him and say 'no, there is no where to go, get back!' she starts saying she needs to get past us, I said 'you will have to wait, they aren't letting anyone through'. she kept pushing and I'm like 'gross, get off of us!' she goes around the backside of us and started pushing the other side of me. Here's where it gets ugly, you may need to look away folks. I do something you may think is gross of me. I turned around and coughed in her face. I know, not my best moment. It's one thing to be crowded in, like we were, it's another to be pushed and rubbed up on. I really didn't care if people wanted to get ahead, but to push and become one with me, no. She said 'thanks', I said 'I told you to get off of us'. Finally we were released and thankfully we got over to the side and I was not trampled. We stood by a kiosk over by the wall and had space all to ourselves. The show was wonderful and we had a magical time watching it.

We discussed if there was anything else we wanted to try and we were both tired and felt we had a complete day. We headed up front and did some shopping at the Universal store. He found the Malfoy mask and a wand and I found a glass I wanted to get my son. We got up front to check out and asked about getting a mask and shipping our purchases home. They went and got a mask and looked up shipping costs. It was free to ship home! We have no idea why, but we weren't going to question it! Perfect! Then we slowly walked out of the gates and were sad it was time to go. It's always a sad walk out when it's the end of vacation.

I request an Uber and head to the pick up area. We soon realize we should've walked or taken a cab. It is so crowded cars are having a hard time getting to the area. We finally get our car and get inside and the car is old, dirty and smelly. I thought uber cars had to be fairly newer? He was playing rap music that was vulgar. Dh and I just looked at each other and giggled. We got to the intersection that is between the Doubletree and Universal. I'm glad we didn't walk back. There are no street lights, it is a very dark and busy intersection. I was surprised there wasn't better lighting there. The driver passed the hotel as we were telling him where it was. I don't know why I assume he knows where to go, I just figured he was a local that drives for a living. My bad and you know what assuming gets you! He cuts through some parking lots and we had to direct him at that too. It was quite an experience and glad when he pulled up to the door.

We walk passed the front desk where those yummy cookies were, but I resist and just want to get in the shower and jammies. We are ready for dinner, and we order from uber eats. I have Dh go down and pick it up from the lobby while I take a long shower. The hotel products work fine, it was weird using bar soap, but it was ok. I believe it was lemon verbena. By the time I'm all done and dressed he is gone and I wait, and wait. He finally comes in and says he had to text the driver where we were. Ok, Orlando is huge with gobs of hotels, locals cannot possibly know them all, but what is going on with their gps that doesn't tell them where to go? Ours worked fine getting us there. Oh well, we have food, tv and cozy bed.
No forks. I ordered a salad. I get a look from Dh that says I don't want to go anywhere else...can't you eat with your fingers? I tell him to go ahead and eat, I get dressed and go to the restaurant downstairs and ask. The person gives me a handful and I try to tell him I only need one, but he's busy and I just thank him and get out of his way. I notice a fire pit as I'm walking through the lobby, but know once I set foot back in the room we are done. We eat our mediocre food and set all the alarms for the morning. We are due to fly out at 9:40 and decide to leave the hotel by 6:30.

Next up, travel day and summary to this long wordy trip report

Have enjoyed reading your report so far......you did have a good time despite a few things.......rude lady in last post.....yep, she deserved it......no need for that!!!!

I hear you on the cotton candy too.......I find it uncomfortable to eat........lol......no one gets it......

Your uber driver sounds like the one our friend got in December......didn't have a clue where Universal was when they were coming from Mall at Millenia??? It`s like 5 minutes away........

Not too wordy at all.......look forward to your summary......it`s been fun reading along.....:D

We had a similar experience with a rude man at Fantasmic a few years ago. He slammed into the man sitting beside my husband so hard that the man spilled his drink all over the family sitting in front of us. The CMs watching said nothing. We had done the dining package and had been sitting in that area for nearly an hour.

6 am rolls around very quick for us. I check to see if our flight is running on time, it is. We pack up and clean up, (I'm one of those people that clean the room, I'm not sure why, I just don't see leaving it a mess for others to have to do. Housekeeping has enough to do.) While I'm getting things around, I hear DH yell from the bathroom, 'oh no!' I try to run through my head what would warrant an exclamation from the bathroom. He comes out and says, 'you didn't get to ride Shrek!' Oh man, we will just have to come back, lol! We head to the parking lot and fall down into our very low car for the last time. We go to fill it up with gas, and along the way say goodbye to Orlando and the beautiful warm weather.

The car drop off was uneventful. I checked in on my phone the previous day, so we bypass the very long line at the counter. Security was rather short for MCO and get through quick. We arrive at the gate, and now we wait. The dance of getting there in enough time scrambles my brain. We've been to MCO quite often and really have been fortunate with getting through security in decent time. I have read on here how terrible the lines can be and I don't like to stress if not needed. But I also hate sitting there when I could be sleeping or enjoying more time on 'the outside'. Oh well, being there in plenty of time I suppose is better than running and pulling a muscle. We find a place to camp out and DH does a drink and snack run. I get a text saying our flight will be delayed by just over an hour. Rushing to wait...ugh. I have a book to read, I bring one every time. I never read it. There's just too much noise and activity, and I'm sure it wouldn't go over well if I stood up and shouted 'quiet!!'. So, people watch it is. We saw excited kids with tired parents, inconsiderate people strolling up to flights that called and called for them and shut the door as soon as they got through. The time for our flight came and went. It finally arrived almost 2 hours late. People crowded immediately. It was very unorganized and chaotic. We paid for our seat assignments, so waited until the line was about gone to board.

The flight was uneventful and we slept most of the way. When we woke up we looked outside and saw a white ground. It's fascinating how a sight of something can deflate your spirit so quickly. We do live in a cloudy state, and don't get enough sunshine. It affects some more than others, and I am one it affects greatly. I do not like being cold, but most of all I need the light. Sun is important to me. We land and notice there is a good amount of snow. I can collectively feel the people on the plane deflate as well while noticing the snow. My husband is so wonderful. He always lets me stay inside and warm while he heads out into the bitterness. I am always grateful. I wait and giggle at the people going outside in their Florida gear and think they are tough out there in shorts and tank tops. I see a big snowball on wheels coming and wonder if that is my ride. I don't even recognize the car because it is completely covered except for the windows, but I spy my husbands cute face in there. Here we go, back to reality.

Summary:

Frontier Airlines: it is a cheap airline, not built for comfort. I would only take it if it were a short non-stop flight and if I didn't need to bring any bags more than a personal item. Once you start paying for seat assignment, and bags, I figure you should just go with a nicer airline that doesn't nickle and dime you. I found my personal bag could hold 2 days worth of clothes if I wore the bulkiest of items during flight. I liked the app and did not have any problems using it to check in and for boarding passes. They were on time going down to Florida and 2 hrs late coming home.

Doubletree at the entrance to Universal: It was comfortable and clean. It is in a great location and walking distance to Universal. The walk does consist of crossing a very busy intersection, which in the daylight shouldn't be too bad. In the dark, there are no street lights, it is very dark and busy, not a good situation. There is no shame in calling for an uber which was around $7. The hotel charges $19 a night to park, so there is no sense driving to Universal and paying for parking again. When you check in you will receive a large warm cookie. I kind of loved it.

Universal: If you have limited time there, you should get there early, about 45 minutes or more. When you go to any kind of lines, look to the left and see if those lines are lower. They usually are, most tend to go to the right for some reason. We went to the shortest line at the gate when people were in other very long lines. Don't be afraid to ask questions instead of just following the crowd. You might want to have a general plan for your day, but be ready to deviate and change course. If you are trying to get a lot done in one day, I suggest you eat quick service. There is plenty to choose from. We were very fortunate and it was not busy on the day I chose to go. But I still feel it would've been a great day if it were busy. It's all in the attitude you bring with you. Definitely have a list of your must haves, but make sure it's not a mile long. You might not be able to ride every ride or see every show, but what you will do should be fantastic. I've been multiple times and there's still things I haven't done. Every time we go it's a different experience and as you've read in this report, we discover different areas we either don't remember or we haven't even seen yet.

Can you do Universal and Islands of Adventure in one day? Sure you can, with this secret... manage your expectations and have a good attitude. There's always next time!

Thank you for following along! Maybe some day I'll graduate to posting pictures also. Thank you to all of you who post trip reports! I've enjoyed reading them and appreciate the time and effort it takes. My reward for finishing this is now I can go read @schumigirl latest trip report. I would not allow myself to read it until I finished this one. Yay! I'm done!

Lovely last couple of posts........

You did well!!!

Really enjoyed reading it......and feel your pain landing and there’s snow.........after warm weather it’s hard to adjust........but glad you had such a nice trip..........:wave2:

The weeks go by and we talk about where we want to eat and what we want to get done in the 41 hours we will be in Florida. We watch the snow fly and the temps drop so far our pipes freeze. We never fly in the winter because it seems like a gamble, so I was a little nervous.

In the meantime I research Frontier because I'm not familiar, we usually fly Southwest. I read plenty of reviews of how strict they are with baggage dimensions and how small and thin the seats are. I find 2 bags that are the proper personal carry item size and imagine what I will look like without my products. I'm not into fashion, but I do like my products. This may get ugly!
I do so enjoy your wit! In St Louis it can get quite cold in the winter and grossly hot in the summer. One of these days I will live in a temperate climate! Hubby is from the NE corner of Ohio. He is used to snow and lots of it. I find it extremely depressing.

I feel body parts rubbing up on my hand that is around him, and I felt every groove of a lady, I mean everything... she pushes past him and is trying to get her son underneath my husband and the person standing next to him. I tell her there is no need for that and that was gross feeling her. The lady in front of us gave her a talking to also but she just stared ahead, her poor boy was being squished and I couldn't help him, we couldn't move over or back if we wanted to. Next thing I know, another pair of breasts are rubbing up against my hand that is clenched on my DH and I look around him and say 'no, there is no where to go, get back!' she starts saying she needs to get past us, I said 'you will have to wait, they aren't letting anyone through'. she kept pushing and I'm like 'gross, get off of us!' she goes around the backside of us and started pushing the other side of me. Here's where it gets ugly, you may need to look away folks. I do something you may think is gross of me. I turned around and coughed in her face. I know, not my best moment. It's one thing to be crowded in, like we were, it's another to be pushed and rubbed up on. I really didn't care if people wanted to get ahead, but to push and become one with me, no. She said 'thanks', I said 'I told you to get off of us'. Finally we were released and thankfully we got over to the side and I was not trampled. We stood by a kiosk over by the wall and had space all to ourselves. The show was wonderful and we had a magical time watching it.
We have yet to see the Hogwart's nighttime show but will have to wait until December when we can spend a full evening in Universal. We're mainly Disney people but love us some HP! We did IoA Hogwarts area back in 2015, I guess? Loved it and very excited to see DA. We're planning a F&W festival trip in October and will spend one night/two days in Universal in December. OMgosh, that lady! We did experience something like that when we were waiting to get into the theater for Fantasmic one time. GRoSS! She didn't even buy you dinner after all of that fondling! Hubby and I have been doing childless trips since 2012.....we took 4 out of the 5 children with us in 2005.....which is why it took us so long to go again! :sad2: Hubby will ride most rides with me and the ones he doesn't ride are usually ones I shouldn't ride! Our first time on Forbidden Journey I closed my eyes as soon as I saw the Dementors.....so I wanted to ride a second time because I missed all of the good stuff. Hubby begrudgingly rode again then had to sit down for a bit to recover......I rode Flight of the Hippogriff solo.......I really shouldn't have insisted he ride FJ a second time :(

I really enjoyed your trip report. Reading what others have done gets me all excited for our upcoming trips. I always learn a thing or two also!

I do so enjoy your wit! In St Louis it can get quite cold in the winter and grossly hot in the summer. One of these days I will live in a temperate climate! Hubby is from the NE corner of Ohio. He is used to snow and lots of it. I find it extremely depressing.

We have yet to see the Hogwart's nighttime show but will have to wait until December when we can spend a full evening in Universal. We're mainly Disney people but love us some HP! We did IoA Hogwarts area back in 2015, I guess? Loved it and very excited to see DA. We're planning a F&W festival trip in October and will spend one night/two days in Universal in December. OMgosh, that lady! We did experience something like that when we were waiting to get into the theater for Fantasmic one time. GRoSS! She didn't even buy you dinner after all of that fondling! Hubby and I have been doing childless trips since 2012.....we took 4 out of the 5 children with us in 2005.....which is why it took us so long to go again! :sad2: Hubby will ride most rides with me and the ones he doesn't ride are usually ones I shouldn't ride! Our first time on Forbidden Journey I closed my eyes as soon as I saw the Dementors.....so I wanted to ride a second time because I missed all of the good stuff. Hubby begrudgingly rode again then had to sit down for a bit to recover......I rode Flight of the Hippogriff solo.......I really shouldn't have insisted he ride FJ a second time :(

I really enjoyed your trip report. Reading what others have done gets me all excited for our upcoming trips. I always learn a thing or two also!
Thank you, i appreciate the kind words! Looks like you have some fun coming your way this year! Have a great time! We are in orlando for a night before our cruise in oct. Cant wait!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter