Can someone explain Assistive Listening Devices?

travelbug

DIS Veteran
My upcoming trip will be with my parents who are in their 70s and can't wait for this trip (especially my mom :p ). They've both become more hard of hearing with age, but neither one uses a hearing aid yet. That day will come...

I sent for Disney's Guides for Guests with Disabilities, mostly because we plan to use a wheelchair for Mom due to her arthritis. In the guides, I saw a brief description of the ALD and also saw the same description on this board's FAQ thread. I'm interested in hearing a little more.

I'm confused as to what exactly it is. Is it handheld? Or does it get inserted into the ear? (They would never go for that. :crazy2: ) Is there an on/off switch in case the amplification isn't needed or a very loud part of a show/ride comes along? Am I understanding right that it is free except for the deposit?

As long as it doesn't insert into the ear, I think my folks would be very interested. They don't want to miss a thing! :hyper:

Thanks in advance!

Think of the device as a small unit with headphones. It is a lightweight wireless device that receives an infrared signal or radio signal from overhead transmitters at certain locations in order to amplify sound. It's like going through the attraction with your own sound system, the headphones. It has a volume dial.

Assistive listening attractions are usually (but not all the time) the stationary ones, theatre shows.

I hope it's ok to post a link to a photo.
http://allearsnet.com/pl/alist2.jpg

I would also recommend you consider the Handheld Captioning Device. It is the size of a portable cassette deck but has an LED screen with the narration from the attraction. While not 100% accurate, they are better than not hearing at all. These are generally the attractions that move (Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, etc.)

http://allearsnet.com/pl/hhcaption1a.jpg

Deb
Co-author of Passporter WDW Your Special Needs - Spring 2005
http://www.passporter.com/wdw/specialneeds/

Deb, thank you so much. Your reply was so helpful, and I really appreciate the link to the picture too. This will help us to decide whether or not to try one of the listening or captioning devices.

Thanks again! :wave:

Assisted Listening Devices are as Deb says but I will give one warning. Be sure that the batteries are working and they are in good working order before you leave Guest Services because if they aren't you have to go all the back to them to exchange them.
Personally I can't use them because there is only one type of head phone I can tolerate and these are not that type. I wish they had a variety of head phone types or I could use my own headphones with their equipment.

Talking Hands - That's good advice. Thank you for that tip! Does the device come with an unused set of headphones that they exchange out, something like airline headphones? Or are the same headphones used by different people? (I know my folks would ask this. :p )

I think they are used by different people and cleaned between uses. If this is an issue with your parents you could contact Guest Services in advance and find out how it is handed. The ones I saw were not disposable. Unfortunately they did not work with my hearing aids and were not loud enough without.
If your parents wear hearing aids with a T-coil (they would know this) they probably can set them on T and use that instead of the headphones. I would check that out with Guest Services in advance as well.
One note on the handhelds. The words tend to be out of sync with the script on the rides and this bothers some people who are hard of hearing. A minor inconvenience as far as I am concerned.

I'll add that my dh is hard of hearing, and I went to guest services and "checked" out both hand held devices... at times the hand held captioning was not in synch with the ride, which we found hilarious, and we mentioned it at guest services (I'm thinking it was at MGM the Tour)

(went and checked at All Ears, and there is indeed a list for each... http://allearsnet.com/pl/listen.htm for the listening device with the head phones)

DH's favorite thing by far is the Reflective Captioning!! You need to mention it before entering the areas (I'm remembering from August) it was all the 3D movies!! DH said he couldnt believe how much better his experiences were with the reflective captioning!! Often they would remember to ask how many were in our party (3) and a CM would save 3 end seats up back near where the captioning was, then the CM would get the mirror that reflected the captioning (they would ask how many mirrors we needed) Every so often a CM would forget we werent needing special handicap seats, and it would be awkward, and then we were invited to stay for the next show!

(here's a link to All Ears list of shows that have the Reflective Captioning option... http://allearsnet.com/pl/reflect.htm)

So if your parents take advantage of closed captioning on tv,then definately check out the Reflective Captioning!

Also, I had a canvas bag (think Land's End) or I would reccommend having a back pack, and I would keep the list of attractions that used each device (its also listed on the maps given at the parks, as well as a couple of sites, Allears net comes to mind) I was constantly digging out the device for dh as we entered an attraction, but it did enhance his Disney Experience!!

(and finally a link to the list of the red hand held captioning device at All Ears... http://allearsnet.com/pl/handheld.htm)

Thanks so much, everyone. Now I have plenty of options to go over with my folks. They are only mildly hard of hearing, but I'm afraid they would miss out on some scripts or dialogs that move along quickly. I think we could try the ALDs on our first day at the parks, and see how they work out.

You guys are the best! Thank you again. :wave:

The other thing that I have seen people post is don't be afraid to move the reflective captioning screens to a better place for you. The CM might set them up up for you in a "generally close to where you need it spot", but it might be better from your standpoint a little closer, farther away or at a slightly different angle.

Hi,
I am hearing impaired and I wear a hearing aid. We will be in DW in December and I did not realise they had "reflective captioning" available. This is great!
Do you just let the CM know you need it when entering the ride?

Thanks for the info!

Kath

HI, dh used reflective captioning, at the 3D shows, see link above for list of the shows it is available!

For instance we stand in line for the shows, PhilHarmagic, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and Tree of Life... when we go thru the turnstyle there is a CM there, handing out the 3D glasses, its here that I say "We understand you have reflective captioning, my dh is hard of hearing and we'd like to use it..." Sometimes the CM immediately responds, sure, a couple of times they looked like a Deer caught in the headlights, and I say "Usually they have us wait in the Handicap seating area, and let one of the CM's inside know to save us a seat near where the captioning is best viewed"

Then when they let everyone in (think madhouse running to secure seats) look for a CM that is saving a seat, look at the back where the reflective captioning is (at PhilHarmagic it was to the right at Honey it was on the left at the back situated high up) Sometimes the CM would forget, and we'd just sit... the one time at Bug's Life for instance, they forgot, so we just got a seat, now it was foggy in parts so dh was curious how the reflective captioning was going to work... then after the show they had us sit in front and see the next show... which lucky for us DD wasnt freaked out like some kids were, and we got to experience that show from 2 different angles - DH did appreciate all the dialogue he missed the first time out!!

At Hall of Presidents, we went late at night, and it seems that only one CM was handling everything, he was very apologetic, but there really was no need, but like stated above, dh did move to find a good seat to read the captioning.

Sometimes I'd forget what attractions had which device, it wasnt till much later when I noticed the map I used had the symbols on them, and could then be prepared to give dh the needed device...

(I just deleted a whole paragraph on accident! )

DH loved the idea of the hand held captioning, but it wasnt always effective, and it was heavy, he didnt seem to thrilled with the headphones either, but I'm not sure why....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter