can MS change the way points were used?

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
October use year, still have points left to bank for 2017- have to do so by June 1 but dont want to just yet. I want to book a 2 night stay, September 30 and October 1. One night will use the 2017 points that I have (again, not yet banked), and the other night will use the 2018 points since October 1st starts the new year. Anyways, when I do bank the rest of the points, can i call MS to use those banked points instead of the 2018 points (since they will be banked and need to be used in the 2018 and 2019 year)?

We have booked online at 0800 using a contract with banked points and it used them. To my knowledge the system “should” use the banked points first which in our case it did.

Yes, MS will reallocate points for a current reservation to make the best use those points. So once you bank the points, call or chat and they will use the banked points instead of the bankable points.

When you make a reservation online you can choose which points you are using and in what order.

October use year, still have points left to bank for 2017- have to do so by June 1 but dont want to just yet. I want to book a 2 night stay, September 30 and October 1. One night will use the 2017 points that I have (again, not yet banked), and the other night will use the 2018 points since October 1st starts the new year. Anyways, when I do bank the rest of the points, can i call MS to use those banked points instead of the 2018 points (since they will be banked and need to be used in the 2018 and 2019 year)?

Yes.

I too like to wait to bank just in case the need to take a trip comes up! So I'll book with the next years points and then if I bank call MS to reallocate and use the newly banked points.

The only thing that MS won't do is swap resort points that had been used to book at 11 months. Let's say you own two contracts: BWV and SSR. If you book at 11 months unsing your BWV points, at 7 months you cannot swap your SSR points for the BWV points you used.

Yes.

I too like to wait to bank just in case the need to take a trip comes up! So I'll book with the next years points and then if I bank call MS to reallocate and use the newly banked points.

And for this transaction there is no danger of losing the reservation due to the reallocation since it’s same membership?

Yes.

LOL, Kat. I use a version of this logic to do the opposite - bank the CY points to use for the next year's for sure/planned trip. If something comes up & I need to take a current use year trip, I just borrow some of next year's points to do it. (That rarely happens, though). That way, if I don't decide to take the current UY trip, I have minimized the opportunity for MS to lose my reservation or otherwise mess up my account when they reallocate. I've had a few experiences where that happened and prefer to do things online myself, whenever possible, Then if stuff is messed up it's MY fault!

For some reason it's less upsetting to me if I mess up than it is when other people mess up my stuff. :confused3 :teeth: :teeth:

And for this transaction there is no danger of losing the reservation due to the reallocation since it’s same membership?

IMO, no there isn't a danger of losing the reservation. I have not had any issues and have done this many times.

But see Carol's comments below. :)

LOL, Kat. I use a version of this logic to do the opposite - bank the CY points to use for the next year's for sure/planned trip. If something comes up & I need to take a current use year trip, I just borrow some of next year's points to do it. (That rarely happens, though). That way, if I don't decide to take the current UY trip, I have minimized the opportunity for MS to lose my reservation or otherwise mess up my account when they reallocate. I've had a few experiences where that happened and prefer to do things online myself, whenever possible, Then if stuff is messed up it's MY fault!

For some reason it's less upsetting to me if I mess up than it is when other people mess up my stuff. :confused3 :teeth: :teeth:

haha - different thoughts! But they've actually lost a reservation while doing a points reallocation? Was that recent or quite awhile ago? I know that years ago it wasn't uncommon to find CM's who didn't know how to reallocate and I'd be saying thanks but no thanks and calling back for someone else. However I haven't run into that for quite some time.

Thanks Kat,
I figured within a given membership the "point swap" would not be that big of deal. We did a reallocation if you will for a July trip but it was between memberships - we wanted to use recently acquired banked points. Technically we "lost" the reservation in the swap, but the CM waitlisted it and it filled while we were still on the phone so she completed the reservation.

You can just bank the number of points you want and keep the amount needed in the current UY. You'll either need to call or book them online separately 11 months out from THAT DAY anyway. I'd likely book as may days ahead as you can using the points in the 2017 UY, then call MS and have them drop the days you don't need, bank the rest of the points and add the addition day in the next UY.

Question; we just purchased an add-on through the resale market with 87 banked points for 2017 (DEC use yr). I currently have an existing reservation for Jan 2019 using points I will receive in December 2018. Will DVC allow me to use the new banked points from 2017 on the new contract in place of my 2018 points?

Question; we just purchased an add-on through the resale market with 87 banked points for 2017 (DEC use yr). I currently have an existing reservation for Jan 2019 using points I will receive in December 2018. Will DVC allow me to use the new banked points from 2017 on the new contract in place of my 2018 points?
Are these Dec 2016 points that were banked into Dec. 2017? If that's the case, the answer would be no. Points cannot be banked twice.

If these are Dec. 2017 points that were banked into Dec. 2018, the the answer is maybe. Yes, if they are for the same home resort and the reservation was made 11-7 months ahead. No, if they are different home resorts and the reservation was made during the home resort advantage. Since Jan 2019 is more than 7 months away, I'll assume that existing reservation was made during the 11-7 month home resort advantage.

Are these Dec 2016 points that were banked into Dec. 2017? If that's the case, the answer would be no. Points cannot be banked twice.

If these are Dec. 2017 points that were banked into Dec. 2018, the the answer is maybe. Yes, if they are for the same home resort and the reservation was made 11-7 months ahead. No, if they are different home resorts and the reservation was made during the home resort advantage. Since Jan 2019 is more than 7 months away, I'll assume that existing reservation was made during the 11-7 month home resort advantage.

Hi, my new points are for the same home resort and are banked points from Dec 2017, banked into Dec 2018 and yes I made the reservation at exactly 11 mths. Based on your reply I'm thinking I will be able to use those banked points for my Jan 2019 trip. I hope that is correct. Thank you for the reply!

Hi, my new points are for the same home resort and are banked points from Dec 2017, banked into Dec 2018 and yes I made the reservation at exactly 11 mths. Based on your reply I'm thinking I will be able to use those banked points for my Jan 2019 trip. I hope that is correct. Thank you for the reply!
Yes. Just contact Member Services (by email or phone) and ask them to reallocate the points so that the banked points are used for the Jan 2019 reservation.

Thank you so much Marionnette, I'm so glad that I will be able to reallocate those banked points for our 2019 trip. I was afraid I might have to rent or loose them...glad that won't be the case.

Thank you so much Marionnette, I'm so glad that I will be able to reallocate those banked points for our 2019 trip. I was afraid I might have to rent or loose them...glad that won't be the case.
Sometimes they will in this situation and others they won't. IF you don't get the answer you want, hang up and call back.

Sometimes they will in this situation and others they won't. IF you don't get the answer you want, hang up and call back.

Thanks Dean, I will keep this in mind when I call to have those points reallocated.

Hi, I just wanted to let you all know that I was able to have my newly acquired banked points from 2017 reallocated to my existing 2019 reservation. I am very grateful to these boards for the wealth of knowledge available if you ask the right question. Thank you so much to the original poster for asking the question and for the knowledgeable and correct responses! I hope you all have a very "Magical Day"! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter