Can DVC member services shuffle points to used borrowed points first when no free points are available?

Tatebeck

Mouseketeer
Our use year is September. We have stays booked in October 24 December 24 and January 25 with our BWV contract. When we booked October and December, we had enough points from the 2024 year. When booking the January 25 trip we had to borrow some points from 2025 use year.

I would like to shuffle the points around and use the borrowed points up first during the first October reservation. Because I have no free points currently for the use year when I modify October it still just uses the same 2024 points. Is there a way member services can change the points used on a contract other than how we can on the booking site?

It looks like I cannot shuffle them around unless I:
Cancel a reservation, shuffle those points, then rebook hoping that the room will still be there,
OR
Borrow even more points to have some free borrowed points, then modify those points into the October reservation to free up a few normal points, then modify those normal points into the January reservation, then keep doing that until all the borrowed points are used in October.

Is there an easier way?
Thanks!

AFAIK, you can't do what you want to do without canceling the January reservation & then modifying the October reservation. Then as you say, you have to hope you can get the January vacation back. MS can't do it without risking the January reservation, either.

Also, you cannot borrow points unless you are actually making a reservation. I wouldn't do your second option. You would just be pulling more points into 2024 that will expire at the end of the use year (if not used by then). And the points you might bank would be restricted to the 2025 use year.

Usual rule is that when trying to make or modify a reservation, you can only use points that are not already in another reservation. Thus, you have to first take them out of the second reservation before they can be used to madify the first reservation. You might try contacting MS and see if the switch can be made, but likely you will be given the same answer.

I think I figured out a way to do it. The last night of the reservation is Jan 28th. New reservations shouldn't be able to be made yet for the room if I cancel the last night until tomorrow since I have the room locked up for today with my reservation. Like how the walkers lock them up, right?

So I should be able to cancel the last night of the 28th, then shuffle those points by modifying my October trip, then extend my trib back to include the 28th, as long as I do it all before tomorrow morning.

That would work right? Before I cancel the last night

The problem with your trying to take out the 28th is that the online system will not allow you to take out borrowed points first. For any modification that reduces points used, it always takes out current use year points before taking out any banked or borrowed points.

Yeah, I was able to use my plan to at least get 1 night worth of borrowed points transferred to the October stay. Better than nothing! I guess I'll just keep an eye out and if the January days look like they become readily available over the next week or so (after any walkers move past the dates) then I may cancel more of it, swap more of the borrowed points to the October stay, then rebook. Thanks for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter