Can Brits get a US bank account?

Discussion in 'UK Community Board' started by Pluto80, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Pluto80

Pluto80 Mouseketeer

Title says it all really. We’d really like to get a US bank account (mainly so we can pay our DVC dues monthly). Just wondering if it’s even possible, and if anyone has done it.

2. BadPinkTink

BadPinkTink DIS Veteran

well when I moved to the UK I had a very hard time to get a bank account.

I needed a national insurance number but because I had just arrived in The UK, I first needed a job to get a national insurance number. When I started work my employer rang up and got me a temporary one so that I could be put on the payroll, and made an appointment for me to have an interview to get a proper one.

At the interview I needed proof of work AND proof of address. So I then had to register for council tax. Which meant another interview process where I had to show my passport and flat rental agreement.

It took about 6 weeks to get my national insurance number sorted and get registered for council tax.

Once I had all that sorted I then went to the bank. I needed my passport, to show that I was an European citizen and could legally work and live in the UK, I needed my national insurance number, I needed my council tax documents to show proof of address and I needed payslips to show that I had a job.

Im guessing its the same type of process and similar types of documents are needed to open a bank account in America.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. disney212

disney212 DIS Veteran

Bank of America will allow you to open a US savings account.

5. Pluto80

Pluto80 Mouseketeer

Can monthly direct debits be taken from a savings account, or only a checking account?

6. wilma-bride

wilma-bride <<This space intentionally blank>> Moderator

Yes, it is possible. Suntrust will allow you to have a US bank account, there is a charge for it though, unless you make a certain number of transactions a month. You can now make part payments directly to your DVC account towards your dues, so unless you really wanted to have a direct debit set up, you could just go in each month and make a payment.

7. disney212

disney212 DIS Veteran

Yes, you can also access it via a Barclays machine while in the UK.

Pluto80 likes this.
  8. Lee Matthews

Lee Matthews DIS Veteran

Could you not open a UK Monzo current account and use that to do your Dues? They don't charge conversion fees so you'll pay what you actually owe? Saves faffing with a US account.

I may be totally wrong and it's for other reasons you need a US account