Camper-related mods/projects - Post 'em!

Another MOD that I made to our TT. (It was actually more of a requirement) was the re-enforcing of the queen bed frame. Who in their right mind would frame out a queen size bed with cross supports of 1x1 pine? Okay, maybe fine if you have like 15 of them along the span, but ours had 3 (placed on the left to right and spaced down from head to foot). So their was little support for ME (Fairly big guy) the DW (wonderful but not what you would call Petite) and our 120# Labrador (who needs his Daddy).

WHile I am not new to camping, at this point I was new to the more "Modern" Travel Trailers. (Always went in a PUP as a kid and in a tent as a young(ish) adult). So our first camping trip out with the TT, first NIGHT out, and the support broke in the middle. Fortunately I had some tools, including duct tape (Love the stuff) and I was able to "Tape" the board back together. Fashion additional support for it (It required using a spare LP tank) and the DW slept there for the night, I slept (not very comfortably) on the Pull out sofa and the Lab had to settle for the floor by my side.

First mod at home was to fix (permanently) this issue so it's never been an issue again. Much stronger 2x3's were used. :)

I just got a new flag staff v-lite and was thinking about putting a dirt devil central vacuum in it, just wondering if they are worth the money?
We were camping and the neighbor was vacuuming with a central vac. She said she loved it. I don't know what brand it was but the idea is great.

Last year I installed the JT Strongarm's on our 5er. It made a big difference now the trailer doesn't shake near as bad as before if at all. The kit looked a little intimidating at first. The biggest problem I has with the install was the front landing gear. Our Sandpiper has hydraulic Jacks on the front, so I had to order 4 little mounting pucks that had to be welding on the jack pad. I had the camper hooked to the truck, lifted the landing gear and removed the pads and took them to a friend of mine who has a welding machine. Now the two that mount on the back, I had to buy a piece of angle iron and mount it across to have my top mount point.

Dmaxphil, I remembered that you asked about them. Pretty much a easy installation. Here is a YouTube video I found that helped me

Stopped by Lowes today picked up some small hooks to organize some stuff in my storage compartment.
20160124_112121_zpsyucn4gx1.jpg

I also picked up some velcro to put under cushions on the couch, they slide forward while your sitting on it. I've tried the non skid mat, it doesn't help.

Nice Randy.

I need to do the same. I'm going to put some big hooks on a slide rail to hold the 50 amp power cord and my water hoses.

And when I first glanced at your picture, I was wondering why you had racing parts in your basement. The wrenches look like a connecting rod and the stabilizers before I scrolled, look like floor mounted racing pedals.

rod.jpg CP5500-50.jpg

j

Attachments

• pedals.jpg
    pedals.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Haha, the white wrench is for the water filter, and the other one is for them Xchocks, (which btw are well worth it). I hung some more hooks on the other side. I use a regular level to level up the camper, now I have a place to keep it up out the way and easy to get to.

the other one is for them Xchocks, (which btw are well worth it).
I was wondering how the Xchocks really worked. I've seen them on trailers, but they seemed expensive when I looked.

I'm not sure how this new trailer will be. It is pretty long and came with the JT strong arms. It doesn't seem to bounce as much as my old trailer when I had it in the drive just sitting on the landing legs with the strong arms tightened up. I didn't have the rear legs down and it bounced less. Maybe I'm good.

j

Xchocks are less about "Stabilizing" (as far as the RV/TT/5Er shaking as you walk around) and more about keeping it from Rolling. Standard tire chocks will only prevent rolling from one direction. to prevent the OTHER direction you have to chock on the other side. The XChocks go in the middle. The beauty of them is, is that if it were to "Roll" in a direction, the opposing wheel (on that side) would help to create EXTRA pressure/friction to stop the roll. Of course the same is true in the opposite direction.

JT Strong arms are more about stabilizing the RV/TT/5ER but at their heart do little to prevent it from rolling. Ideally having BOTH would be the best for stabilizing and securing from rolling.

Have Yall ever paid any attention to the big trucks on the interstate, the ones that are all lite up with "chicken lights"? Well I guess it's the kid in me,but I think that's cool looking so I put a camper twist to that idea.
20160125_175415_zpsx03mdmty.jpg

20160125_175435_zpsu2hsaa9z.jpg

I've been working on this a little bit at a time, finally finished it up today. Redid all the marker lights in LED's, 34 lights all together. It's something different I've never seen before.

Have Yall ever paid any attention to the big trucks on the interstate, the ones that are all lite up with "chicken lights"? Well I guess it's the kid in me,but I think that's cool looking so I put a camper twist to that idea.

I've been working on this a little bit at a time, finally finished it up today. Redid all the marker lights in LED's, 34 lights all together. It's something different I've never seen before.

I have thought about it, looked at LED's to do it, but that was as far as I got. Have to wait, see if what we decide to do, and if we upgrade to a 5er first or not. Hate to get too carried away then have to do it a second time.

Looks great.

That's pretty awesome.

Ours is s pup and so far, our only mods/projets have been to paint and recover fabric things.
We wll also be adding shelves above the sink and putting vinyl flooring down in the next month.
She was $300 so we have some wiggle room to spend on making her pretty! (and making Mickey Lamp) We will likely be dying the cushions grey too because-kids. The are recovered with painters canvas dropcloths!
image.jpg image.jpg

I just got a new flag staff v-lite and was thinking about putting a dirt devil central vacuum in it, just wondering if they are worth the money?

Not sure about the Dirt Devil central vac, but I've already replaced my Dirt Devil upright vac becuase it was virtually useless (less then a year old). Love my new Shark brand - perfect for the MH.

We want to add shelves to our closet in the bedroom of our Class C. It only has a rod for clothing and I am nervous to drill anything into the walls. Shelves would be so much easier for our clothing.

Here is my last mod to my toilet area in the trailer.
DSCN2956.JPG
This was my toilet paper set up for the last couple years.
DSCN2973.JPG
Our new setup, I made the holder from scrap lumber I had laying around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!