• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cameras

kgeorge

Earning My Ears
I can't decide to bring one or two cameras with me. I have a professional Nikon with a 300mm zoom lense - takes great pictures but really big to carry around. I was going to buy a small 35mm camera that zooms to 140mm. What is the best camera to take to Disney, I would love to use the big lens for Animal Kingdom but I really don't want to bring more than I have to. Are cameras safe in the hotel rooms? Any advice would be appreciated especially taking pictures in Animal Kingdom, thanks

KGeorge,

I have a Canon Rebel 35mm and an additional professional lens - Canon L series f4 70-200 zoom. I packed my Rebel with the lens it came with and my extra lens in my smaller DV recorder bag. I left the Mini DV home this time.

It work out great. I would carry it in the bag with the short lens attached. When I wanted to use the zoom lens I would just switch them. I used the zoom lens on about 80% of my photos (16 rolls). I have a 3 year old and I used the zoom lens to get in really close so the faces took up most of the frame. Use the short lens for landscape shots.

So I would take one camera and just switch the lenses as needed. Occasonally I wouldn't even take the zoom lens. That way I could throw my camera in another bad and not have to take my camera bag.

I left my camera bag in the room without any problems.

Hope this helps.

I got this really great camera tip! Pack your camera and lens in a insulated zipped 6 pack type bag. It will protect it from bumps. And it will look like lunch instead of expensive camera equipment!!

I bought a Minolta 115mm zoom for our trip last year and it works great for Disney. It is small enough to fit in your pocket or fanny pack. It has built in flash with several modes incl. red-eye reduction. The zoom let me take good photos of the giraffes and animals outside our room at AKL early this month. We tried the Kodak 800 MAX film and were very pleased. I was worried about grain, but can't see the difference yet. The speed helped a ton on the safari ride. Last June, all the shots were blurred since the truck does not stop. This year, all but two were great (pothole).

I have an old Olympus OM-2 with a couple of lenses, but only use it for portrait work now.

Harold

Thanks everyone for the tips, I will bring the zoom lens and pack it in the 6 pack cooler, great idea! I love the way my Minolta takes pictures and I would have really missed the big lens, thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter