California. where to celebrate a birthday.

tink89

DIS Veteran
I will be turning 29 again( 30 :sad2:) in 5 months. I was looking for a nice place to celebrate. I am not looking for anything crazy. Trust me I have already lived those days. I kind of just want a nice town to visit with some history or like an old town . Or a nice beach getaway where we can either walk to town or have everything on site at the hotel or shuttle to a location.

Our vacations usually involve a lot of activities or busy places (Disneyland). DD does not want to come as of now. So for now it will be just DH and me.

Preferably somewhere in California.

I have Hilton, Sheraton, and UR points that i would prefer to use. I also have free Alaska companion ticket. ( Which is why I am posting here on the budget board).

Look up Solvang, CA, a little town with Dutch history and some nods to Hans Christian Anderson. There are hotels in town that would put you in walking distance most things.
As for beach towns, we like visiting Carpinteria or Morro Bay.

Look up Solvang, CA, a little town with Dutch history and some nods to Hans Christian Anderson. There are hotels in town that would put you in walking distance most things.
Thanks. I have heard of Slovang, but it seems more like a day trip. Is there more to do there in the area? Or are there any nice hotels you recommend?

Santa Barbara would be a nice area with both some history and a beach area like you hoped. If this is January it will be the off season and that rates should be very low.

Solvang is less than an hour from there and would make a nice day trip.

PHXscuba

Santa Barbara would be a nice area with both some history and a beach area like you hoped. If this is January it will be the off season and that rates should be very low.

Solvang is less than an hour from there and would make a nice day trip.

PHXscuba
I do think Santa Barbara would be nice. I will look into hotels there.

thx

Santa Rosa. San Diego. San Francisco. Some of the mid-size Napa Valley towns like Calistoga. All are nice in their own ways.

The problem with Solvang (and Santa Barbara though not as bad) is that the international airports are not too close.

Napa would be a GREAT 30th (29th) birthday trip! If you like wine it's a no brainer. And food - their restaurants are top notch! They don't have many chain hotels but you may find something with one of your rewards points.

My second choice would be San Diego and then San Francisco. Another option is the Palm Springs area. There are TONS of resorts out there. Just avoid June through September because it's blistering hot (110 and above is common).

I went to Napa on my Honeymoon and we found a B&B type place to stay that was actually owned by Best Western, very reasonable prices. I think that area is nice as you have budget options or upscale options. We went to Santa Barbara and while it was nice it just didn’t feel as unique as we thought to be honest. The beach was filled with homeless camps and there was a huge commercial area that was just linked to a giant mall. Our favorite part was the mission which isn’t exactly a place to whoop it up on your birthday. Outside San Fran there is also San Rafael and Saulsalito. We stayed in San Rafael as it was cheaper than San Fran and found that there were lots of lovely restaurants in the area, but we didn’t attempt to find any activities as we were only there at night.

I will be turning 29 again( 30 :sad2:) in 5 months. I was looking for a nice place to celebrate. I am not looking for anything crazy. Trust me I have already lived those days. I kind of just want a nice town to visit with some history or like an old town . Or a nice beach getaway where we can either walk to town or have everything on site at the hotel or shuttle to a location.

Our vacations usually involve a lot of activities or busy places (Disneyland). DD does not want to come as of now. So for now it will be just DH and me.

Preferably somewhere in California.

I have Hilton, Sheraton, and UR points that i would prefer to use. I also have free Alaska companion ticket. ( Which is why I am posting here on the budget board).

Carmel, California. I lived in the area for 16 years. It's a cute town, very unique with lots of shops and, IMO, some of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at. Carmel Beach is right there, it's breathtaking. Carmel Mission is right down the road. Mission Ranch (restaurant) is right around the corner from there (Clint Eastwood owns it). 10 minute drive and you can be in Point Lobos area with lots of parks and hiking trails. Again, absolutely beautiful.

Thanks. I have heard of Slovang, but it seems more like a day trip. Is there more to do there in the area? Or are there any nice hotels you recommend?

Solvang is a day trip at most! I tried to spend two days there are was dead bored.

If Southern California, Catalina Island? Huntington Beach or Newport Beach are also really fun getaways (we live locally).

Carmel and Santa Barbara are also incredible. San Francisco? Napa?

Solvang is a day trip at most! I tried to spend two days there are was dead bored.

If Southern California, Catalina Island? Huntington Beach or Newport Beach are also really fun getaways (we live locally).

Carmel and Santa Barbara are also incredible. San Francisco? Napa?

We live in the San Francisco Bay Area. And have done Sonoma, Napa, Carmel, Monterrey

We have been looking at Newport Bach around that area for spring break. But it’s so hard to be in that area and not go to Disneyland.

We live in the San Francisco Bay Area. And have done Sonoma, Napa, Carmel, Monterrey

We have been looking at Newport Bach around that area for spring break. But it’s so hard to be in that area and not go to Disneyland.

Hmmm...ok! What a beautiful area you live in!

I agree, it is difficult to be that close and not visit Disneyland. Catalina? Palm Springs? We went to Palm Springs in February and it was fabulous! We may celebrate my big 5 0 in Catalina this Spring.

Or possibly Danish :rolleyes1 We were there a couple weeks ago following my son's wedding in Santa Barbara.

flimage.jpegimage.jpeg

If you have any Danish ancestry it's a cool place to visit for an afternoon.

A couple years ago we spent a couple nights at Circle BarB horse ranch just outside of Santa Barbara.

As posters have said, Santa Barbara airport can be a pain to get to and homeless people enjoy the area.

I love the Monterey (Fisherman's wharf) /Pebble Beach (golf) area. There's a lot within a short driving distance: Hearst castle, beaches, Santa Cruz boardwalk

Depending on how much time you have, you can also drive north to San Francisco/Napa or south towards Pismo Beach/Solvang.

Hmmm...ok! What a beautiful area you live in!

I agree, it is difficult to be that close and not visit Disneyland. Catalina? Palm Springs? We went to Palm Springs in February and it was fabulous! We may celebrate my big 5 0 in Catalina this Spring.
thanks. yes we do live in a very beatiful area. We take weekend trips when ever we can so we have gone to most places with in a 2-4 hour drive. Catalina is on the list too. I'm not sure about the weather in January though.

Palm Springs, Santa Barbara , and or Newport Beach area seem nice.
Maybe A Disneyland adults only vacation would be nice lol.

thanks. yes we do live in a very beatiful area. We take weekend trips when ever we can so we have gone to most places with in a 2-4 hour drive. Catalina is on the list too. I'm not sure about the weather in January though.

Palm Springs, Santa Barbara , and or Newport Beach area seem nice.
Maybe A Disneyland adults only vacation would be nice lol.

We just returned from an adults' only WDW trip and it was amazing!!!! Do it. We are headed to Disneyland tonight, just DH and I.

Carmel, California. I lived in the area for 16 years. It's a cute town, very unique with lots of shops and, IMO, some of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at. Carmel Beach is right there, it's breathtaking. Carmel Mission is right down the road. Mission Ranch (restaurant) is right around the corner from there (Clint Eastwood owns it). 10 minute drive and you can be in Point Lobos area with lots of parks and hiking trails. Again, absolutely beautiful.
To add to it you have Pebble Beach and Monterey. Take the 17 mile drive and stop at pebble beach and hang out on the 18 th hole they have places to eat. Across the way from the hotel is a store where you can get deli items and make it a picnic to go. Monterey is nice, cannery row, the wharf with good eating places. Or a really good place to eat at is Rosines in downtown, good food and huge desserts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter