BWV or VWL for Aug?

Elias12501

Earning My Ears
Please help my wife and I decide. We are completely torn between the BWV & VWL(purchase), almost 50/50. Ok maybe a little more 60/40 on my part and my wife 40/60, I guess that sums up our marriage-:rotfl2: :. That aside which resort would be the easiest to book(get preferred room) in late August probably a 1 bdroom and occasionally a studio @ our home resort. I know the pts for VWL are a little cheaper right now but the price of the two is not a concern. Being able to get a room at our home resort in mid-to-late August is our largest concern. Thanks!!!

There are several things to consider.

VWL only has 136 rooms, while BWV has 383 rooms. Since it would be more difficult to book VWL, you may want to buy there.

On the other hand, BWV has the low-point value views that go fast, and you typically have to own BWV to get those views. Thus, if you want to maximize your point value, you may want to buy there.

BWV is more active and busy, and you're right on the Boardwalk, while VWL is more relaxing and peaceful.

BWV is next to Epcot while VWL is next to MK. Which park is your family's favorite?

VWL has great theming, while BWV is more bright and cheerful.

Just do what I did -- buy at both!!

DVC Mike makes some excellent points. We do own at both resorts so we see the advantages of ownership for each.

For late August, I think you will be able to book either one of the resorts at the 7 month mark. So general availability won't be your biggest concern.

As indicated, VWL is very small so even though you plan on late August vacations now, at some point your vacation patterns may change. We always go in the summer because of the children and school, but last year we went during Christmas to VWL. Just stunning, and very hard to book without home resort advantage.

On the other hand, we had a trip to BWV a month ago and were able to stay in a Standard View room for significantly fewer points than the regular room point rates (which are the same as VWL). So we enjoyed the convenience and amenities of BWV for far fewer points.

Likewise, being a BWV owner gives you a much better shot at Boardwalk View rooms which are highly desired by many.

I can see why you're torn. If you can split your point total and buy at each place, that would be ideal. That's what we do and we bank one contract and borrow from the other and alternate our stays with the ability to still book an entire trip at the 11 month window.

I think if I were making the hard decision between the two (and liked both equally), I'd probably lean towards BWV. There are more home resort advantages to being an owner there, and you would most likely be able to book VWL in late August fairly regularly at the 7 month window.

Good luck with your decision...isn't it great to choose between two wonderful options? :)

If you own at a resort (VWL or BWV) and make ressies with the owner's 11 month window, it will be very easy to get what you want at either VWL or BWV for mid to late August. If you own at one and are attempting to reserve at another with the 7 month window then: (a) BWV standard view (lower point cost) and BWV boardwalk view (best view) are often difficult (but not necessarily impossible) to get at 7 months out because owner's grab them with the 11 month window but BWV preferred pool or garden view (about 60% of all rooms) is usually available many times of year including mid to late Aug which is actually one of DVC's slower times; (b) VWL can be more iffy many times of year at 7 months out mainly due to having a low number of rooms (what may be available at 7 months out -- and there could be nothing --tends to be grabbed up quickly by persons calling as early as possible at the 7 month window)

Wow, everyone makes some serious good points(no pun intended). The splitting pts between the two resorts is not an option as of right now. It's nice to here that late August is a rather slow time for DVC members to book rooms. Now I know this doesn't guarantee anything but good to know. My wife is a teacher and teaches summer school until mid-August so that time seems to be our only option. We would probably like to stay at the BWV more often than the VWL due to the convenience. It's still all in the planning and research stage. We check the TTS daily, more like hourly, to see which one has the pts we need for a decent price. Thanks for the buffet for thought.

luv them both:thumbsup2

must say that while Xmas season @ WL is fantastic with the decorations; I was surprised to find that it's great during the hot summer months too.

imo it's much cooler (temperature wise) @ WL vs BW. Could be due landscaping or just the general vibe.

why not buy a resale @ one & add on points at the other to gain the 11 month window...can easily bank & borrowing depending on your travel plans.

good luck

luv them both:thumbsup2

must say that while Xmas season @ WL is fantastic with the decorations; I was surprised to find that it's great during the hot summer months too.

imo it's much cooler (temperature wise) @ WL vs BW. Could be due landscaping or just the general vibe.

why not buy a resale @ one & add on points at the other to gain the 11 month window...can easily bank & borrowing depending on your travel plans.

good luck

:thumbsup2 I'm with you on that one. Lots of shade, big cool lake at VWL. Late August will be hot hot hot!

My family and I faced the same decision a few years ago -- BWV or VWL. In the end, we went with BWV. We figured that even though our kids, who are now 5 and 8, like the MK best (which would be a vote for VWL), by the time our contract ends they'll be adults. And for adults, there are more things to do in the evening at or near BWV. There are several good restaurants, a fun bar (Jellyrolls) and Epcot World Showcase which is open later in the evenings. So, in the long run, we thought we'd be happier there. We've been members for 8 years now and while we have used points to stay at VWL, we are happy with our decision to buy at BWV.

Good luck with your decision!

:tinker: DVCDawn

You can always do what many of us have done...purchased BOTH. I have VWL for our Summer and Christmas Vacations and BWV for Food & Wine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter