BUZZ's Brigade - TEAM CHALLENGE - POST MILES/HOURS HERE

Hey Everyone,

I've heard from a few people and just wanted to say the Miles and Hours thing for me was just a great way to meet people in a smaller setting and to be honest the miles and the hours mean less to me than the people I've got to know on this team. I kept track of the numbers for everyone, but really checking in with everyone was just to see if everyone was alright and if we could do anything for them.

No pressure. If anyone changes their mind we will be here and especially if you want to talk. I like that much more than the miles although the reports on how people are doing in their training is cool as well.

We have some great people on this forum and this team is no exception.

Lets go Buzz's Brigade.

I was also very happy to get Chris's PM about the team. I always take a few weeks off after Disney to catch up with work and family responsibilities, and to refresh-and-renew a little bit.

When he said there would not be a requirement to post miles/hours, I felt a weight was lifted off my shoulders -- I LOVE the social aspect of the team and the chance to get to know you folks better, but I am terrible at recording my miles. Some part of my mind says, "I'm an ENGLISH major and numbers are not my friends." You were an awesome team -- I just felt so guilty for never making the time to translate all my races into records of miles and minutes. No excuse -- I just couldn't make myself stop long enough to do it.

BUT I am thrilled to be able to be on the team chatting about training and racing and supporting you in your goals if I don't have to do any number-wrestling. It's good to be back in the Buzzie fold!

Hi! Susie just added me to Buzz's Brigade, so I came over to introduce myself. I've read these boards for information/inspiration ever since I started training for the 2007 half. In fact, I think I stumbled across WISH and that's how I learned there was a half marathon at WDW. I was walking regularly for exercise at the time, but I can honestly say that it never crossed my mind to enter a race until I realized I could get a trip to Disney out of it!

The rest, as they say, is history. I now have a Mickey and two Donald medals and have taken marathon weekend trips with my older son (DS16), my best friend and my DH. In 2010, I'll be back for the half with DS13 (he'll be 14 by then) and DF and her son.

I know I've missed out by not posting and getting to know WISH folks. My resolution is to change that this year! So I'm thrilled to be on a team and am relieved to know there won't be too much pressure for lots of miles. I don't plan on any other races before WDW but I definitely want to stay in shape.

-- Debbie

Welcome Debbie:wave2:

Quite a few people on our team will be training for the 2010 Disney events. How exciting that your DS is going to join you! Will it be his first half marathon?

The Buzz Team is quite friendly so jump right in:thumbsup2

Thanks, jessily! You must have enjoyed your first half marathon since you're going for the Mickey medal next year. That's great! I think I will stick with the half from now on, but I'm very glad that I did a full marathon. I will have a 26.2 sticker on my car 'til the day I'm in the nursing home and have one on my walker!!

This will be my son's first half marathon. He refuses to be the only one in the family who hasn't done one (getting to miss a couple of days of school and go to WDW doesn't hurt, either). It was pretty interesting 3 years ago when all 4 of us (me, my older DS, friend, her DS) were training for our first race. :crazy2: My DS in particular was not a model of dedication in training. I think his younger brother will be a little easier to deal with (but there's a lot of puberty that could take place between now and next January, so I don't want to speak too soon!).

-- Debbie

Hey all, I too am new to the team. Hope the hazing isn't too harsh. ;)

I ran the 1/2 this year (my first) with my 14yo niece, which was probably the only thing that kept me training. Now I'm very into it, signed up for the DL 1/2 and the full next year. I'd be very surprised if she wants to do either, so I thought I'd join a WISH team. I was very impressed by the WISH presence this marathon weekend.
My first goal is to vastly improve my time for the DL1/2. The good news is that I have 7 months.

Glad to be here!:thumbsup2

Donna

Hi everyone!

I'm not new to the Wish team, but new to Buzz's Brigade and excited to be here! :)

DH and I started running in early 2007, planned to do a half marathon, but then I found out I was pregnant with our first baby and kind of threw running back off to the side. I've been running here and there when I can, but only recently have I been able to really get back to it consistently (for me, anyway).

I've got a couple of 5Ks and a 10K in the coming months, and am hoping to do the Donald in 2010. Haven't committed just yet, as we're trying to figure out if we'll be able to go for sure before plunking down the money for race registration!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

:welcome: to our New Buzzies :wave2:

dkostel - Donna
Sandi321 - Sandi
TXAng - Ang
frankenpooh - Debbie
momof2minnies - Linda
jenthemom22 - Jen

Welcome to the team everyone. Whether you are new to the Wish boards or just new to the team I hope you enjoy your time with us. I plan to start a new thread soon to kick off 2009 so I can keep track of the first page as Dave and them would like us to do. I think they want me and the other Captains to post the team mileage on the front page each month.

I had a great time in 2008 and am really looking forward to 2009.

Oh yeah and Hello to the returning Buzzies. :grouphug:

Me - Chris/goofyinohio :goofy:
NYcpa - Kathy
WDWFAN9 - Pat (Co-Captain)
aldisneygrl - Allie
MickeyT - Mike
Jessily - Jessica
jusacuz - Jessica
getnthinr - Wendy
Caseydilla – Casey
Duanerice – Duane

I forgot to add that we are just as much about talking, hanging out and helping each other through training as we are about the miles and hours (Although we like those too.)

One of us should be able to help you with any questions and if not point you in the right direction.......

Ok, OK, I don't check the boards for a day and look what happens! :headache:

Welcome to all our new BUZZIES!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :grouphug:

Thanks again Chris for being our number guru and our fearless leader!!! :worship:

Fellow Buzzies,

Thought you might appreciate the following Q and A (someone sent me this via email). I know these are my personal guidelines when training ;)

"HEALTH QUESTION & ANSWER SESSION"

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life; is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. And what are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products.

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!! ... Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger!!!!!! . You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?

A: Are you crazy? HELLO Cocoa beans! Another vegetable!!! It's the best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape!

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets. :rotfl:

Debbie - :rotfl2: Thanks for my morning Laugh! :rotfl2: I think I'll get me a steak for dinner tonight. I need to up my vegetable intake. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter