Buy Saratoga instead of Boardwalk, pass Go and collect $200...

Just curious, I haven't been to Disney world but we've discussed going this fall and assuming Disney doesn't take them, we'll have 300 points to use at ssr... Whats wrong with ssr that you consider it more of a moderate hotel? I understand it's far from the theme parks, but your comment makes me wonder if there there's something else?
IMO SSR is a fine option and the reality is that we stay there most of the time though generally because we're trading in through RCI. We rarely use our points for full stays unless it's to get more volume when we do have exchanges. Realize that I take the stance that even among the deluxe hotels, there are some that are more deluxe than others so I guess in that regard you'd consider me a spliter rather than a lumper on this subject. In some ways the villas are more deluxe than a moderate but from a location and resort feel it's closer to a moderate IMO. The same is true for OKW maybe even slightly more so. We enjoy all of the DVC resorts in their own way but feel some do certain things better than others. I don't have any negative feelings for SSR, quite the contrary though I do feel that one needs a car to stay there or at OKW. If I were in your position I might have the same question or concern but I honestly feel you have nothing to worry about and if you'll have car, you'll enjoy it. If you don't, then some do and some don't.

Last edited:
Just curious, I haven't been to Disney world but we've discussed going this fall and assuming Disney doesn't take them, we'll have 300 points to use at ssr... Whats wrong with ssr that you consider it more of a moderate hotel? I understand it's far from the theme parks, but your comment makes me wonder if there there's something else?
We've owned SSR since 2004. The triggers that others report as indicating 'moderate' or 'motel vs hotel':
  • Lack of connection to a theme park.
  • Lack of dramatic and unique theming. The design is too 'common/everyday' when compared to the dramatic recreations of Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge. (All a matter of perspective, of course. FWIW, I have no draw to the Grand Floridian as I have grown up with the Hotel Del Coronado as an element of my "real life.") But, I still agree: SSR's design and theme lacks conviction. It doesn't magically transport me to another place or time ... it is, simply "everyday nice."
  • Unit entry doors are open to the outdoor elements rather than being accessed from an interior corridor. (Motel vs hotel argument)
  • Being right on the edge of the property line ... with SIGHT of the 'real world.' (No 'berm' protecting one from seeing beyond the Disney experience.)
  • Parking interspersed with the buildings -- rather than parking being located in a central location beyond the main entrance/lobby. Oh, wait ... SSR doesn't really have a grand lobby. Right. Thus, not passing through a grand lobby as you arrive and depart each day makes a difference in your perception of the property.
On the other hand, the treehouse villas are a truly unique experience and feel well protected within the Disney berm. SSR has multiple feature pools + quiet pools. If you have a car, you can park closer to your unit -- making it easier to move luggage and groceries back and forth. Etc.

Last edited:
We've owned SSR since 2004. The triggers that others report as indicating 'moderate' or 'motel vs hotel':
  • Lack of dramatic and unique theming. The design is too 'common/everyday' when compared to the dramatic recreations of Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge. (All a matter of perspective, of course. FWIW, I have no draw to the Grand Floridian as I have grown up with the Hotel Del Coronado as an element of my "real life.") But, I still agree: SSR's design and theme lacks conviction. It doesn't magically transport me to another place or time ... it is, simply "everyday nice."
  • Unit entry doors are open to the outdoor elements rather than being accessed from an interior corridor. (Motel vs hotel argument)
  • Being right on the edge of the property line ... with SIGHT of the 'real world.' (No 'berm' protecting one from seeing beyond the Disney experience.)
  • Parking interspersed with the buildings -- rather than parking being located in a central location beyond the main entrance/lobby. Oh, wait ... SSR doesn't really have a grand lobby. Right. Thus, not passing through a grand lobby as you arrive and depart each day makes a difference in your perception of the property.
On the other hand, the treehouse villas are a truly unique experience and feel well protected within the Disney berm. SSR has multiple feature pools + quiet pools. If you have a car, you can park closer to your unit -- making it easier to move luggage and groceries back and forth. Etc.
I am a new SSR owner still in the closing process. How often have you been able to book elsewhere at the 7 month window?

We really enjoyed staying at SSR and wouldn't call it a moderate, there's still lots to do there and it's a short walk to Disney Springs, it was really nice walking there on an evening for a meal and to enjoy the live music.

Re booking at 7 months it depends when you want to go and for how long there are busy times when you will end up at SSR and other times you'll be able to get in other places easily. There is a thread that shows you availability at different resorts at different times of year.

Ok thats a good point. I guess there are a few I dont see a real theme for, and matching up with animal kingdom is tough... not that I've been to any of them, which is why I was curious. I didnt know they didnt have a central area tho, thats odd. I suspect we'll aim for animal kingdom when we go. Id like to stay at poly because we really like the theme-ing at aulani and it looks similar, but with 4 kids im not sure thats even possible.

Ok thats a good point. I guess there are a few I dont see a real theme for, and matching up with animal kingdom is tough... not that I've been to any of them, which is why I was curious. I didnt know they didnt have a central area tho, thats odd. I suspect we'll aim for animal kingdom when we go. Id like to stay at poly because we really like the theme-ing at aulani and it looks similar, but with 4 kids im not sure thats even possible.

SSR has a central area - The Carriage House. I believe the comment was just on how it's not as grand of a lobby as places such as AKL/AKV. The Carriage House is the check-in, bell service, QS (Artist Palette - a pretty good one), gift shop, bar and sit down restaurant (Turf Club) open in the evenings. The main Springs pool is also there as well as the spa, fitness center, community hall, tennis courts, arcade, ferry dock, and Golf pro shop for the Lake Buena Vista course.

To me SSR is a notch below the other resorts. (with the possible exception of OKW---haven't been there) The one exception is the treehouses, which I love. Otherwise, the biggest benefit is being close to Disney Springs. It's not that SSR is not a nice resort---it is. It's just that the other resorts have something magic in addition to being nice resorts.

Bruce

I am a new SSR owner still in the closing process. How often have you been able to book elsewhere at the 7 month window?
In 12 years of SSR ownership, we've used our points at SSR only once for the Treehouse Villas just after these were added, Dec 2009. Our primary intention for owning DVC was to book BWV every January for a business conference and we accomplished this without any significant difficulty. We've also enjoyed using the points at Vero Beach, Animal Kingdom (Jambo, Kidani and Club Level), Aulani, Grand Cal (2-3 nights most years since it opened), Wilderness Lodge, Poly, OWK, etc. We've had reservations at the Grand Floridian and BLT but later changed our mind and cancelled. Simply put: I've had no troubles booking any of these. I do not bother with booking SSR at 11 months and then trying to rebook a different location at 7 months. I simply wait and book what I want at 7 months.

BUT -- I'm a savvy timeshare owner; I know how to "work the system," book "difficult reservations" right at the 7 month window, use the Waitlist and stalk inventory online. We favor 1BR units over studios. While we love the visiting WDW during the early Dec but avoid F&W.

Study and work the system! Best wishes and complete enjoyment of your new points!

SSR has a central area - The Carriage House. I believe the comment was just on how it's not as grand of a lobby as places such as AKL/AKV. The Carriage House is the check-in, bell service, QS (Artist Palette - a pretty good one), gift shop, bar and sit down restaurant (Turf Club) open in the evenings. The main Springs pool is also there as well as the spa, fitness center, community hall, tennis courts, arcade, ferry dock, and Golf pro shop for the Lake Buena Vista course.
Agreed -- it has a central area and it is "nice" (mostly "functional"). However -- beyond check-in, one could go their entire visit w/out ever visiting the Carriage House due to the loose connection between villas and the "entrance." Whereas when I stay at BWV, I'm criss-crossing that lobby daily. Not that I must cross it -- but using building access other than the lobby isn't particularly obvious. Same, to me, for AKV Jambo and the Grand Cal. I might as well cross through the lobby -- and love every moment of it!

In 12 years of SSR ownership, we've used our points at SSR only once for the Treehouse Villas just after these were added, Dec 2009. Our primary intention for owning DVC was to book BWV every January for a business conference and we accomplished this without any significant difficulty. We've also enjoyed using the points at Vero Beach, Animal Kingdom (Jambo, Kidani and Club Level), Aulani, Grand Cal (2-3 nights most years since it opened), Wilderness Lodge, Poly, OWK, etc. We've had reservations at the Grand Floridian and BLT but later changed our mind and cancelled. Simply put: I've had no troubles booking any of these. I do not bother with booking SSR at 11 months and then trying to rebook a different location at 7 months. I simply wait and book what I want at 7 months.

BUT -- I'm a savvy timeshare owner; I know how to "work the system," book "difficult reservations" right at the 7 month window, use the Waitlist and stalk inventory online. We favor 1BR units over studios. While we love the visiting WDW during the early Dec but avoid F&W.

Study and work the system! Best wishes and complete enjoyment of your new points!
Thank you so much, I can't wait to actually book something! Quite honestly we bought SSR because the price is right but also with hope we would be able to stay at the others. We LOVE beach club! We've done F&W the last 4 years and it seems to get busier every year. It seems to be a popular DVC time too. I'm thinking we may have to change our dates around a little to have more options.

I don't have any negative feelings for SSR, quite the contrary though I do feel that one needs a car to stay there or at OKW. If I were in your position I might have the same question or concern but I honestly feel you have nothing to worry about and if you'll have car, you'll enjoy it. If you don't, then some do and some don't.
Is this because of the lack of bus transportation? Are there at least plenty of buses that run to and from the parks to where the wait is not extensive? We normally drive to DTD (of course at SSR we wouldn't need to!) and to the water parks. We take a cab back from the Boardwalk. We usually use buses to parks though, especially if it's Epcot since we would be partaking in libations.

WooHoo! I'm off to the rental thread!

While there will be some variation, members will either by a savvy owner or a victim. This is one of the main reasons to investigate DVC prior to buying and one of the reasons I feel that those who might have to routinely make last minute changes or can't routinely book by 7 months out should not buy in.

Is this because of the lack of bus transportation? Are there at least plenty of buses that run to and from the parks to where the wait is not extensive? We normally drive to DTD (of course at SSR we wouldn't need to!) and to the water parks. We take a cab back from the Boardwalk. We usually use buses to parks though, especially if it's Epcot since we would be partaking in libations.
It's a combination of things. No signature restaurant, TS restaurant for lunch, no room service, spread out, further from the parks are all things that come to mind right now. These are not important to me personally and they may not be to you. The bus system there is decent to good but we normally drive unless it's MK or we're park hoping.

SSR has I think 6 bus stops. Each bus stops at all of the stops. Unless they've changed in the last year they make all the stops even if they're completely full and even if there is another bus for the same park literally behind them. Or sometimes if you're at the Carriage House (last) stop the bus will be full and another will be along in 15 minutes. (Last time I was at AKV they had changed the routes there so at peak a different bus goes to Kidani and Jambo.)

Bottom line is I think unless it's MK, or you're drinking or pool hopping, it's better to drive. And if you stay in a THV request one near the pool so you can walk to Grandstand and skip the extra 20 minutes you add on taking the THV shuttle to SSR first.

Bruce

Any advice for a new owner to become "savvy"?:flower1:

Any advice for a new owner to become "savvy"?:flower1:
I had intended that term as a reflection of the 16-18 years I've "studied" various timeshare systems as a serious hobby interest. From our first "flirt" with DVC in 1998, to our first purchase (a non-DVC product) in 2000, I studied everything I could find. I learned our first timeshare product inside-out by attending the training workshops offered by the developer, joining online discussion groups, studying the governing docs/member guidelines (etc) and spending countless hours observing inventory patterns through RCI/II and online reservation systems. Basically, I became a timeshare addict over those first few years of ownership.

It was 6 years between "first flirt" (1998) to "first purchase" of DVC (2004). By then, I already knew how the program worked and what I could expect. I still spend time studying the inventory, periodically, using the online system but only to casually pick up the odd nights, here and there, at the Grand Cal as it is a short drive away. (Last night I spotted a unit available for Mon/Tues nights of this week ... I considered booking them but am already staying Thurs night and didn't want to overdo it ... ;) )

So tips to a newcomer will vary depending on several variables:
  • Is DVC your first or only timeshare?
  • Do you plan to use DVC drive-to destinations -- or will all visits require air travel?
  • What were your intended goals before purchasing? How did you see yourselves using the product?
  • Where you wish to stay? What size units?
Answer these for yourself to establish a "baseline plan." Create your "top 3 visits" and start working out, on paper, on how to book them. Know in advance if you'll be using banking/borrowing and mark the relevant dates on your calendar. If you will be booking at the 7-month window, create reminders on your electronic calendaring system to alert you at 9 months to start watching inventory online; check the inventory status of your intended unit size/view for the weeks prior to your travel dates to see if those dates are made unavailable right at their 7-month window or even just prior to the 7-month window. Use the time to learn about booking strategies such as "walking" and if that might be needed/appropriate for your travel dates based on your observations of the inventory you are 'stalking.' (etc.) Basically, the truly successful folks are those that know what they own and how to use it ... inside and out. Moreover, they probably know multiple timeshare systems in similar level of depth and can carry skills/techniques from one product over to another. ;)

Edited to add: Learn the cancellation policies and use them to your advantage. Don't be afraid to book "speculative" reservations that hold a room for you while you evaluate airfare, school schedules, other commitments, etc.

Edited again: My biggest tip is to book 1BR/2BR units and be happy with them. Don't plan on always booking the 'least expensive' room category. (We generally book a 1BR for us, as a couple; a 2BR if traveling with another couple; a GV or multi-units as you reach/exceed 3 couples; etc. When inviting friends/family -- our guideline is that every household gets a private bathroom and we never plan on having people, even children, sleeping in the living room of the unit intended as "the gathering place.")

Edit #3 to add: Expect change. When it comes, learn how the change impacts you and purpose, in advance, to try to make the best of it. I figure that timeshare is a game where the savvy folks live better at the expense of the less savvy folks. Some people will be late or careless in their timeshare use and I plan to grab as many of those newly-created opportunities as I can.

Last edited:
I had intended that term as a reflection of the 16-18 years I've "studied" various timeshare systems as a serious hobby interest. From our first "flirt" with DVC in 1998, to our first purchase (a non-DVC product) in 2000, I studied everything I could find. I learned our first timeshare product inside-out by attending the training workshops offered by the developer, joining online discussion groups, studying the governing docs/member guidelines (etc) and spending countless hours observing inventory patterns through RCI/II and online reservation systems. Basically, I became a timeshare addict over those first few years of ownership.

It was 6 years between "first flirt" (1998) to "first purchase" of DVC (2004). By then, I already knew how the program worked and what I could expect. I still spend time studying the inventory, periodically, using the online system but only to casually pick up the odd nights, here and there, at the Grand Cal as it is a short drive away. (Last night I spotted a unit available for Mon/Tues nights of this week ... I considered booking them but am already staying Thurs night and didn't want to overdo it ... ;) )

So tips to a newcomer will vary depending on several variables:
  • Is DVC your first or only timeshare?
  • Do you plan to use DVC drive-to destinations -- or will all visits require air travel?
  • What were your intended goals before purchasing? How did you see yourselves using the product?
  • Where you wish to stay? What size units?
Answer these for yourself to establish a "baseline plan." Create your "top 3 visits" and start working out, on paper, on how to book them. Know in advance if you'll be using banking/borrowing and mark the relevant dates on your calendar. If you will be booking at the 7-month window, create reminders on your electronic calendaring system to alert you at 9 months to start watching inventory online; check the inventory status of your intended unit size/view for the weeks prior to your travel dates to see if those dates are made unavailable right at their 7-month window or even just prior to the 7-month window. Use the time to learn about booking strategies such as "walking" and if that might be needed/appropriate for your travel dates based on your observations of the inventory you are 'stalking.' (etc.) Basically, the truly successful folks are those that know what they own and how to use it ... inside and out. Moreover, they probably know multiple timeshare systems in similar level of depth and can carry skills/techniques from one product over to another. ;)

Edited to add: Learn the cancellation policies and use them to your advantage. Don't be afraid to book "speculative" reservations that hold a room for you while you evaluate airfare, school schedules, other commitments, etc.

Edited again: My biggest tip is to book 1BR/2BR units and be happy with them. Don't plan on always booking the 'least expensive' room category. (We generally book a 1BR for us, as a couple; a 2BR if traveling with another couple; a GV or multi-units as you reach/exceed 3 couples; etc. When inviting friends/family -- our guideline is that every household gets a private bathroom and we never plan on having people, even children, sleeping in the living room of the unit intended as "the gathering place.")

Edit #3 to add: Expect change. When it comes, learn how the change impacts you and purpose, in advance, to try to make the best of it. I figure that timeshare is a game where the savvy folks live better at the expense of the less savvy folks. Some people will be late or careless in their timeshare use and I plan to grab as many of those newly-created opportunities as I can.
Wow! That's great info! I appreciate it! We have school age kids but I have no problem taking them out of school for a trip to Disney! We're pretty flexible when we can go. The 1 BR thing will be tough as we only have 130 points(for now) so I would have to bank/borrow and for now we plan on going every year. I'm OK with staying at SSR but hoping to not be "stuck" there every year.

Wow! That's great info! I appreciate it! We have school age kids but I have no problem taking them out of school for a trip to Disney! We're pretty flexible when we can go. The 1 BR thing will be tough as we only have 130 points(for now) so I would have to bank/borrow and for now we plan on going every year. I'm OK with staying at SSR but hoping to not be "stuck" there every year.
One option would be to stay less time in the dvc property and do a split trip between it and either a direct book (to get some of the perks like free meal plans etc...) or an offsite.
We do that sometimes when we go places. If we know we have a particularly busy few days planned (exploring the parks) we'll grab a cheaper room and save the nicer room for the days we planned on staying more at the hotel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter