Buffets with solo parent and two kiddos

MamaRoo

Earning My Ears
I'm going to be on my own with my two kids (4 and 8) for the first few days of our December trip until my DH joins us.

What is the best way to handle a buffet? When the whole family is together, one of us stays at the table, and the other parent fixes plates for the kids and ourself, and then swaps out with the other parent.

Going solo, do you bring your kids through the buffet line with you (my 8yo will be able to fix her own plate), or do you leave them at the table alone? Both scenarios leave me with mild anxiety:confused3:rotfl:

Since my daughter has been about 8 I do let her go back & forth to the buffet on her own...I keep an eye on her from our table. I have also left her at the table when I go to get something else. I usually bring our 'valuables' with me to the buffet... I have a cross body that has my phone, camera, $$ in it, so I just keep it on me. So in that case you could go back & forth with both of them.

Not solo, but we usually each take a kid, so you'd take both, but mine are younger 5 and 6. My 6 year old could actually probably make his own plate and I have sent him up for his second plate if he knew exactly what he was getting (ahem, danishes). We fix their plates and bring them back to the table. They start eating while we fix our plates. We've done it this way for at least a year. They are focused on eating and are totally fine!

From age 7, my daughter has held her own plate. At that time, my son was 10 months and I wore him at buffet lines. Thankfully there’s space to leave the plates down and slide them along until you either move to another section or return to your table.

With those two ages, I would take both children. I generally do one of two things depending on the size of the plates provided. In either scenario, the older child controls their own plate. If they are large, I stack two plates while at the buffet and put enough food for myself and the younger child all on one until we get to the table. Then after we are seated, I separate the younger child’s food from mine.

If the plates are not big enough for that, I keep them separate. But I get less food so the plates aren't awkward.

8 year old is responsible for his own plate, you get both yours and younger child. everybody goes together but 8 year can go back to table when he's done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!