Hanging up my running shoes

It sucks to miss a goal! And as someone who has missed many, this is my new mantra I wanted to share with you.

a2264f9aa9502c085e1c07445dd3b3a9.jpg

So amazed at what you have done! If the percentage of people who have done a marathon is 0.5%, that number has got to be lower for those who have done more than one marathon!! And You my friend are in that very small number!

And I meant to quote this earlier, but thank you for this. I've read it about 10 times.

Sometimes you just feel like things are in the way of getting what you wanted
giphy.gif

I'm proud of you for fighting through it and not giving up.
giphy.gif

If you stick around these parts, I think you know what we will all be saying...

giphy.gif

But in the meantime...
giphy.gif

Sometimes you just feel like things are in the way of getting what you wanted
giphy.gif

I'm proud of you for fighting through it and not giving up.
giphy.gif

If you stick around these parts, I think you know what we will all be saying...

giphy.gif

But in the meantime...
giphy.gif

I feel like that Try Again gif should be the poster gif for the RunDisney forum.

Sometimes it's just not your day. It's incredibly frustrating and disheartening when that day happens to be one you've trained and dedicated so much time to. Take a few days, learn from the experience, and come back smarter and stronger. When you do break 5 hours, this race will be the last thing you're concerned about.

Man I feel your pain 100%. I do feel like we are having twin running moments. Sounds like maybe some other folks too. After my self-pity party last month I signed up for another half, first weekend in November. Not sure that's practical for a marathon though. Taking a break from PR chasing to remind yourself that you like to run sounds like a possible plan. It is important to keep in mind you completed a marathon which is huge whether it's your first, or 8th, or 50th.

I’m sorry the race didn’t go the way you wanted it to, but I’m so proud of you for sticking with it and finishing. You continue to be such an inspiration to me. Congrats to you and @Chris-Mo!!

And you are WEARING those shorts! ::yes::

I'm still proud of finishing and I'm happy to have finally run Chicago but upset that I didn't enjoy it more. There were amazing moments (running through Chinatown was so fun) and great crowds even with the crappy weather, but it certainly wasn't all I'd imagined. Maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe my goals too lofty (maybe a sub-5:00 is just not in the cards for me). Maybe marathons and big PRs aren't meant for me. Maybe I'm just still feeling sorry for myself and I need to snap out of it. :D Time will tell I suppose. I'm still really happy we earned these beauties and that I did it with my best friend by my side.
Thank you for sharing the good and perhaps especially the bad of your experience. I had back pain in my half last month and I feel like that pain turned my dreams of truly running that race into a fight to just survive and finish. After spending many miles of that race hoping that the back issues do not repeat during Dopey, I was glad to read how you managed to keep fighting. I don't know what my first marathon will hold, so I really appreciate people sharing the struggles of a marathon so I can at least be aware of potential strategies to deal with the struggles should they ever come on race day.

Great recap! I'm sorry the race wasn't what you wanted it to be but that happens unfortunately. I know you will bounce back and do great things running going forward.

Those shoes from the expo are pretty sweet!

Congrats again to you and @Chris-Mo on a World Marathon Major finish! It wouldn't be one if it was easy.

Sorry things just went kaput on race day. You and @Chris-Mo battled through it though and finished CHICAGO!!! That is just a whole lot of awesomeness.

Sometimes it's just not your day. It's incredibly frustrating and disheartening when that day happens to be one you've trained and dedicated so much time to. Take a few days, learn from the experience, and come back smarter and stronger. When you do break 5 hours, this race will be the last thing you're concerned about.

Thank you. It just was one of those days unfortunately.

Man I feel your pain 100%. I do feel like we are having twin running moments. Sounds like maybe some other folks too. After my self-pity party last month I signed up for another half, first weekend in November. Not sure that's practical for a marathon though. Taking a break from PR chasing to remind yourself that you like to run sounds like a possible plan. It is important to keep in mind you completed a marathon which is huge whether it's your first, or 8th, or 50th.

Thank you. It's comforting sometimes to know you aren't alone.

I’m sorry the race didn’t go the way you wanted it to, but I’m so proud of you for sticking with it and finishing. You continue to be such an inspiration to me. Congrats to you and @Chris-Mo!!

And you are WEARING those shorts! ::yes::

Thank you! Still probably my favorite InB item, so happy that I wore them. A bright spot in an otherwise not so great day. :D

Thank you for sharing the good and perhaps especially the bad of your experience. I had back pain in my half last month and I feel like that pain turned my dreams of truly running that race into a fight to just survive and finish. After spending many miles of that race hoping that the back issues do not repeat during Dopey, I was glad to read how you managed to keep fighting. I don't know what my first marathon will hold, so I really appreciate people sharing the struggles of a marathon so I can at least be aware of potential strategies to deal with the struggles should they ever come on race day.

We all have struggles right? I'm glad I kept going and finished even if it was less than what I had hoped for.

Great recap! I'm sorry the race wasn't what you wanted it to be but that happens unfortunately. I know you will bounce back and do great things running going forward.

Those shoes from the expo are pretty sweet!

Congrats again to you and @Chris-Mo on a World Marathon Major finish! It wouldn't be one if it was easy.

Thank you and I really do LOVE my new shoes!

Sorry things just went kaput on race day. You and @Chris-Mo battled through it though and finished CHICAGO!!! That is just a whole lot of awesomeness.

Thank you! It definitely felt like a battle, but we did come through. Bruised egos and all. ;)

Congrats on finishing. It is impressive that you ave ran 8 marathons, even if this one was not what you hoped for. However, you lived to tell the tale and fight another day.

So unbelievably proud of you for pushing through and getting it done even when you wanted to quit! You just ran 26.2 miles and that is AMAZING! Great job and congrats on marathon number 8!

Congrats on finishing. It is impressive that you ave ran 8 marathons, even if this one was not what you hoped for. However, you lived to tell the tale and fight another day.

Thank you!!

So unbelievably proud of you for pushing through and getting it done even when you wanted to quit! You just ran 26.2 miles and that is AMAZING! Great job and congrats on marathon number 8!

Thank you!!

GIRL, WASH YOUR FACE!!
tenor.gif

Alright, my self-prescribed limit on wallowing in self-pity is up at 4 days. I was obviously pretty upset about how Chicago went, but how Chicago went is how Chicago went. No changing it now. And if there's something about me that I like, it's that there's a hidden little Pollyanna (or not always so hidden) ready to burst through and look for the next bright spot.

980x.gif

Next bright spot? Disney Marathon Weekend my friends.

tumblr_n5jln2qXof1s2wio8o1_500.gif

And, you know what that means right for those of you who have actually paid attention to my posts as I approach a new race? That's right. Time for a new avatar. Look for an unveiling soon.

Seriously, I've already sent a message to @DopeyBadger to try and work through what happened and what are my next steps and goals (and we are working on it), but for now, it's time to plan that Disney trip and just enjoy the heck out of running some races with no goal other than finishing and having a good time (and, of course, meeting all you Dissers and downing a few cold ones along the way).

I'm taking a few weeks off from any serious running and then just working to be sure I'm ready to finish the "Mouse Challenge" of the 10k and Full in January, but you can still expect some annoying trip planning posts and with some gifs of course, just not any regular training updates for awhile.

Thanks to all of you for the amazing support through the training cycle and the race.

IkhQ.gif

Finishing a marathon is always a big deal, no matter what. Celebrate that you are a strong and bada** chick that goes out and gets it done. Congrats for that! You probably don't realize how impressive you are, but you ARE. I ran with my wife last night and was bragging a bit on you :) Happy to see that the wallowing phase is over (you were entitled, trust me I get it), now it's time to get back to work! Chase that Mouse gurl ;)

I'm proud of you, sweet friend. No matter what went wrong or when or where or why, you still finished and that's the important thing.

Some days you win, some days you lose ... some days, it rains. It just wasn't your time this time around - but you'll be there to go for it the next time around.

Can't wait to hand you a drink during the 10K in January!

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for that new avatar!

Let the excitement for WDW Marathon weekend commence!!!
Looking forward to Disney is almost as much fun as going! Just within the last week, the excitement of the race and trip really hit me... and therefore hit my husband, because WDW and running are the only things I'm talking about these days!

You have Marathon number EIGHT in the books. CHECK. You did it!!! In January it will be number NINE and feeling FINE! I can't wait to meet you and celebrate with you! You are an amazing and inspirational woman. <3 <3 <3

giphy.gif

Congrats Zelly and @Chris-Mo on your 8th marathon!!! I know it wasn't the finish time you were hoping for, but truly, so PROUD of you guys for keeping one foot in front of the other and finishing! Will echo others here in saying that you are both very inspiring to me, and I can't wait for what's next up on your running journey.

Also, the "Mouse Challenge," as you are calling it, is the best challenge. (I did it this year teehee!) I was able to sleep in AND spectate the half to see mom-in-law come across the finish line which was very fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter