Boy do they oversell this Halloween party!!!

I went to 9/23 and 9/25 parties. Neither felt overcrowded. I did all my character meets for the 9/23 one and left early (after 1st parade) cause my feet hurt so bad. Every ride but 7DMT that we tried was walkon and got tons of candy with no long lines on 9/25. It was a blast.

I think its luck of the draw as to how crowded your party will be. Neither of mine were sold out. Went in with a plan and succeeded.

I went to 9/23 and 9/25 parties. Neither felt overcrowded. I did all my character meets for the 9/23 one and left early (after 1st parade) cause my feet hurt so bad. Every ride but 7DMT that we tried was walkon and got tons of candy with no long lines on 9/25. It was a blast.

I think its luck of the draw as to how crowded your party will be. Neither of mine were sold out. Went in with a plan and succeeded.

There is some luck but it also depends on the dates. Your dates fell in September, when most kids have just started school and parents (myself included) will not pull their kids out to go to Disney. So, the September parties, particularly on a Sunday and a Tuesday as yours were, will be less crowded (even locals may not want to take their kids on a school night like the two nights you attended). Now compare that to when I just went, on Columbus Day weekend. It's October and people will pull their kids out of school, and it was a holiday to boot. I knew it was going to be crazy because it is a school and work holiday for many, and I went in expecting that and that is what it was. So I agree that you can have walk on rides and no lines on a weekday in September, but you really can't expect to have that in October realistically, with the way Disney sells tickets now. Disney could easily change this by reducing the number of tickets sold, but that is not happening. So for people who can pick and choose their party dates, it sounds like September school nights are the way to go!!

This is another example of Disney's catering to the first time guest. The ones that don't know the difference in crowd levels will not be disappointed or make any comparisons. And as PPs have said, the wait times are still not bad compared to a busy day, so there is still some advantage. The issue is with the fireworks and parade. Either they need to run them 3 times each, or they can't sell as many tickets. Folks waiting two hours for a parade seems like such a waste of money to me.

We went to the Halloween party at DLR last year, and the MNSSHP at WDW this week. I was trying to decide why they are so different, why DLR isn't overselling the event as I feel WDW is (I checked current reports on the DIS, and DLR parties aren't getting slammed with "crowded" reviews like WDW's are this year). I think you hit it exactly: DLR is mostly locals, and they know if they make it miserable, those guests know what it was like before and won't come back year after year. WDW is counting on the "first time guest" over and over, such that they can dilute the experience and while it may turn off repeat guests, they have so many more first timers, they don't care that much.

We went on September 3rd and the crowds were really low. We saw the second parade and had a great spot with no crush and only waited for 15 mins. I think the longest ride wait we say was 30 mins (Pirates) and lots of rides were literally walk on. We waited 10 minutes for Peter Pan and 20 for 7DMT. The lines for candy were long for the first 2 hours but then the CMs were literally shouting to us to 'Come get candy' No wait... just step on up! We had a blast!

Was there on Thursday and it was busy. 35 mins for Haunted Mansion and 40 for the larger rides but most of the treat stations went through pretty quick (3 of us, just under 300 pieces of candy - though no idea how I’m going to get it home as weighs a fair bit!).

Hocus Pocus show and fireworks great. Disappointed with the parade as far too crowded on Main Street.

Plenty of limited pins available including two spinners (Minnie and Goofy).

Picked up Oogie Boogie bucket at 5.39 or so near Fantasyland entrance. Had both that one and the cauldron.

Tried the push up Jack Skeleton pop and it was nice (far better than the churros they had at Sleepy Hallow which were awful).

Got a few magic photos (missed Hitch-hiking ghosts as DD dead on her feet at that point and point blank refused to do another photo).

Back in hotel (Riverside) for 12:45 and sleeeeeeep!!

I'd be happy to see a few of the nights sell tickets that are 2.5x the cost with 0.5x the capacity, so we could pay more for the short ride queues perk or pay normal price just for the experience.

TBH, I like this idea. Not every night but a few nights, charge $200/ticket and let people who want the park less crowded, pay more and enjoy light crowds. I don't see nothing wrong with this idea. Of course, Disney would have to sell only half of the amount of tickets they usually sell.

Last edited:
The party is pretty empty tonight. I’m also going Sunday so I will compare. I wonder to what extent it’s the cost? The higher priced parties like tonight seem to be less crowded. It’s a Friday and great weather so pretty strange it’s not packed. Sunday was cheaper and had AP/DVC discount to boot. So it will be interesting to compare the crowds.

Last edited:
We went to the party in 2016 on Tuesday Oct. 4th. Ride lines were 10 minutes. Most people were in character lines, watching parade, fireworks etc. Crowded in the hub and main street but otherwise great.

We went Tuesday, October 2nd this year. Longest wait was 25 minutes for Seven Dwarf Mine Train and most of the other rides were walk on or under 10 minutes. Candy lines were quick.

The party the original poster was posting about was on a holiday (Columbus Day) when most kids have off and it is fall break for many schools around the country. Definitely affects crowds.

We were at the first party this year and thought it was really crowded also. It was fun though, I don't think I would do it again though. Maybe if I had a little kid?
This was my same thought the one time we did the Christmas Party. While any time at the MK is still fun, due to the crowds this was a one and done event for me and not something I would personally recommend to others. Do note, that we attended a sold out party, so maybe it's different if the party isn't sold out. But for sold out parties, they sure sell a lot of tickets.

Still here, waiting on my boys to come off Space Mtn...at 10:35 the posted wait was 50mins!

We got here about 4:10, made it to our Haunted Mansion FP as a downpour hit (that deterred no one)!! Then off to Space Mtn for FP #2. People Mover than Astro Orbiter than Carousel of Progress. Came out just after 6 to a 25 min wait on Buzz.

Hit 3 ToT lines, then TL Speedway (20min). ToT line at Cosmics.

50 min wait on SDMT, then 3 ToT lines, break for a drink. Made our way around the folks waiting on the parade. Rode both BTMRR & Splash with no wait. Then 2 more TOT lines at Splash.

Headed to Caseys, got food and ate it on Crystal Palaces porch and watched the fireworks - they were the highlight of my night.

I was set to leave, but DS flashed those blues at Daddy and here I sit waiting outside of Space Mtn.

Its been a fun night. I would not pay extra to do it again, too crowded for what I had thought a special ticketed event would offer. I am glad we came though! We probably have 15lbs of candy and the foreworks alone were amazing!
Hi. Couple questions. I didn’t see fast passes as an option online. Are they available during The event? Also, what kind of candy do they give out is it anything exclusive to Disney? Thanks much!

I've never been to the Halloween Party but I always look at the lines in the evenings of people going to Magic Kingdom. This year, the lines are much longer from my hotel (Pop Century) than previous years. So I take it that Magic Kingdom is still packed.

Personally, WDW should have a HALLOWEEN theme with parades and Fireworks and a few "treat nights" for the kids and stay open like they would in JULY AUG SEPT and not charge an extra dime.

Same goes Christmas time- or to make everyone happy WINTER HOLIDAY TIME!

Who will be the brave soul who will go to their boss and say, "hey you know those events we kick everyone out of the park, and then get a second set of tens of thousands of people to pay us $85+ each to come back in? I'd recommend we don't sell those tickets... but spend all the expenses."

I joke, of course, because Disneyland never launched Christmas Parties. I'm sure there is a good reason not to... and they still run Christmas parades and activities.

There's no problem with creating high expectations if you're willing to meet them. Disney used to be willing to meet them. Now, not so much. WDW is gradually becoming "The Most Managed Expectations Place on Earth".

But we all keep on going...and apparently more and more of us all of the time. So we're sending a loud and clear message back to WDW that we are perfectly okay with all of this.

Other than working at a halloween party as a Cast Member, I have never purchased a ticket or attended one of these second gate events. I really don't want to criticize people who like them... but they're just not for me because I don't see the value. I'm clearly in the wrong, because thousands of people see the value every night, with more coming every single year. Including people who look forward to these parties all year and come out telling Disney they were satisfied. Not for me. To add on to @Shanti's note, if your expectations are too low, then you kind of don't need to spend this money.

I refuse to go to anything with "low expectations" when a ticket cost $75/person. I am surprised by how many people expect to pay a lot of money at Disney and NOT expect much in return.

Well, the ongoing theme is that there are a lot of people with a lot of money. But they're not necessarily suckers. They go in and have a good time, and then do it again next year. I think the people on this board are too close to Disney and the law of diminishing returns has turned us grumpier than the average visitor. All I can see is myself being crowded out with ever increasing demand for these party tickets, which Disney rightfully will accept their money. And I'll go do something else during those times... take advantage of shorter lines in other parks or at Disney Springs.

Who will be the brave soul who will go to their boss and say, "hey you know those events we kick everyone out of the park, and then get a second set of tens of thousands of people to pay us $85+ each to come back in? I'd recommend we don't sell those tickets... but spend all the expenses."

I joke, of course, because Disneyland never launched Christmas Parties. I'm sure there is a good reason not to... and they still run Christmas parades and activities.

Other than working at a halloween party as a Cast Member, I have never purchased a ticket or attended one of these second gate events. I really don't want to criticize people who like them... but they're just not for me because I don't see the value. I'm clearly in the wrong, because thousands of people see the value every night, with more coming every single year. Including people who look forward to these parties all year and come out telling Disney they were satisfied. Not for me. To add on to @Shanti's note, if your expectations are too low, then you kind of don't need to spend this money.

Well, the ongoing theme is that there are a lot of people with a lot of money. But they're not necessarily suckers. They go in and have a good time, and then do it again next year. I think the people on this board are too close to Disney and the law of diminishing returns has turned us grumpier than the average visitor. All I can see is myself being crowded out with ever increasing demand for these party tickets, which Disney rightfully will accept their money. And I'll go do something else during those times... take advantage of shorter lines in other parks or at Disney Springs.

I cannot fault DIsney for charging more for parties, and selling as many as the market will indulge. I agree that for many, the party is worth it simply for the atmosphere, which is much different than normal daily theme, IMO. I think that making the purchase and then determining value is personal, and if your party is large, the value can be diminished.

I have always enjoyed the parties, but as the cost rises, and my traveling party increases, it is more difficult for us to justify the cost. At almost $700 we would need More than a parade and special fireworks. My family if we are two or three? The cost is not as looming, and while my expectations would still be reasonable, I might not be as critical if the lines were a bit long, or finding a spot for the shows was a little difficult.

Question.
We have one day to do Disney. We did a 4 day trip last year so we saw what we love very recently.
Our date would likely be December 9th Sunday to visit.
Would you choose a short park daytime visit or attend the Xmas party in the evening?
We want to see at least one parade and ride rides. We would only see characters if there was less than a 20min wait.
We live in canada so snow is not a novelty. Although it would be funny for us to see it in a florida.

Question.
We have one day to do Disney. We did a 4 day trip last year so we saw what we love very recently.
Would you choose a short park daytime visit or attend the Xmas party in the evening?
We want to see at least one parade and ride rides. We would only see characters if there was less than a 20min wait.
We live in canada so snow is not a novelty. Although it would be funny for us to see it in a florida.

I'd suggest posing your question in a new thread to get the most exposure/feedback/opinions.

But given what you describe I'd probably opt for a Christmas party ticket. It allows park entry at 4pm so you can have 8 hours in the park if you so choose. Nighttime parade, fireworks, castle lighting, atmosphere.

Hi. Couple questions. I didn’t see fast passes as an option online. Are they available during The event? Also, what kind of candy do they give out is it anything exclusive to Disney? Thanks much!
No FP during party. Candy is from the Mars company - M&Ms, snickers, 3muskateers, milky way, skittles, lifesaver gummies, dove chocolates and one stop is for GoGo applesauce

We always felt that the real value of the Halloween Party was the short lines for rides. If that is over, I don`t see the point of paying roughly $100 for a special parade, fireworks and some candy.
Too bad Disney`s greed has ruined a previously great event...:mad:

Judging from the posts here it is not over, but rather luck of the draw on which party you pick. Some are busier than others. Sounds like avoiding the first party and a holiday weekend are good things to do.

Question.

Given your restrictions regarding the date, I would go for the party. There is no way to do everything in a full MK day, and since the park is just so pretty at night during the Holiday, I think it makes the most sense to enjoy a party.

You can still enjoy the resorts up to the party entry time of 4 PM. The Holiday Wishes and the CHristmas parade are really outstanding, and can only be enjoyed during this short Holiday season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter