Borrowing and one time use points

Junebug2

Earning My Ears
I’m still new to DVC and learning the ins and outs of it all, so please bear with me! I think I have this correct but would like another set of eyes.

These are my current points, August use year:

August 2024: 61
August 2025: 225
August 2026: 225

I’m planning a stay for January of 2025 at a resort I do not own at. I will need 291 points for the week (hoping to stay in a 2 bedroom at Animal Kingdom Kidani). I know I cannot book until 7 months out… I just want to be ready.

The trip is happening in my 2024 use year. I will be using my remaining 61 points, plus I’ll borrow all my 2025 points, but I still need 5 more points. I would need to purchase 5 one time use points from Disney, correct? And if I go that route, what use year do I buy those points for? I’m assuming 2024, since one time use points cannot be banked or borrowed.

Do I purchase one time use points now, so I have enough for when I go to book? Or will I be given the option to purchase them while I’m completing the booking 7 months out?

And finally… any idea on the likelihood of securing a dedicated 2-bedroom savanna view at Kidani 7 months out for a mid-January trip?

Thank you!

The trip is happening in my 2024 use year. I will be using my remaining 61 points, plus I’ll borrow all my 2025 points, but I still need 5 more points. I would need to purchase 5 one time use points from Disney, correct? And if I go that route, what use year do I buy those points for? I’m assuming 2024, since one time use points cannot be banked or borrowed.
Do I purchase one time use points now, so I have enough for when I go to book? Or will I be given the option to purchase them while I’m completing the booking 7 months out?
You’ll buy the OTUP by calling MS when making the 7-month reservation. (You can book online as much as possible first, then call MS to finish the booking with the OTUP.) The OTUP will automatically be in the 2024 UY and will probably come from a different home resort.

The only way to buy OTUP in advance would be to book a dummy reservation and call MS to buy OTUP for it. Then after you hang up, you can cancel that reservation and the OTUP will remain in your account. You would have to be sure the dummy reservation was in the correct UY.

You've got the basics.

Likelihood partly depends on if it's a runDisney week. I would expect Kidani to be available at least but won't know for sure until we get there.

Book what you can online 1st thing at 7 months. Probably have to call to use the OTUP either way.

Book what you can online 1st thing at 7 months. Probably have to call to use the OTUP either way.
Thank you!

So just to clarify I would book my first 6 nights, then I would call to add OTUP, borrow my remaining points, and modify the reservation to add the 7th night, correct?

Yep. Online booking opens 1 hour before phone bookings. As long as the 2BR is still available for that last weekend night, just book the last night by phone 1 hour after you book the rest of the stay online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter