Booked my next cruise

starvenger

DIS Veteran
...waaaay in advance. Going on the upgraded Navigator in Jan 2020.

Obviously, plans can change between now and then, so we’ll see if I’m still going in about 10 months (ie the PIF date).

I have seen lots of people that have their cruises booked 2 years in advance. I am waiting for Royal to release the rest of 2020. Need to book our June, July and October 2020 cruises and hopefully be able to book Feb of 2021 at the same time. Usually the earlier you book, the cheaper it is with royal. And I constantly check for uogrades up until the week before the cruise. Have been able to upgrade room categories if the price of a higher category cabin has come down to what we paid.

what are her upgrades? I went on Navigator last January and had a great time!
From what I understand they’re redoing the pool deck. Adding water slides and a resort style pool. Also redoing Adventure Ocean into a single area.

I’m probably missing a couple of details. The RC blog had a post on it a few weeks ago but I’m too lazy to dig it up.

From what I understand they’re redoing the pool deck. Adding water slides and a resort style pool. Also redoing Adventure Ocean into a single area.

I’m probably missing a couple of details. The RC blog had a post on it a few weeks ago but I’m too lazy to dig it up.

Gotcha - I'm too lazy to look it up too, hence the post to you LOL

I am not sure how I feel about the water slides - seem to take away from the pretty look of the ships

Who hoo. It's great to have something to look forward to. We have Navigator booked for August. Booked her before seeing the amped changes (was expecting a copy of Mariner). The changes look amazing!

We're going on the updated Indepedence this year but they also added a bunch of cabins in addition to the other stuff. Are the rest of the ships that are getting the upgrades also getting new cabins?

Well Jamie’s doesn’t sound Very Italian lol. I was looking forward to Giovanni’s.

In fairness Jamie Oliver’s cooking style is Italian.

Also, if it was British food no one would go to the restaurant.

Nice on the new booking! Next year will be 2 big land trips and a Very Merrytime Cruise with extended family. Doesn't look like I'll get on the Symphony until 2020.

We were looking at itineraries for next school year over fall break (Oct 2019) and spring break (March 2020). Although we kind of preferred the March itinerary, March 2020 just sounded so far away! Also, we figured we should keep spring break of DS’s junior year open for potential college visits. So we win by getting to cruise earlier! There’s less time to save up for PIF, but I have a solid plan!

For early bookers like us, what do you guys do about travel insurance? I typically go with a plan from Travelex and their requirement for having pre-existing conditions covered is to purchase the policy within 21 days of initial deposit. I let that date come and go without purchasing the policy, thinking that we may possibly change our minds about which cruise to take, or re-book the same cruise if we see a lower rate. So if we keep this booking and purchase the policy later, the pre-existing clause is gone forever. Does anyone else worry about this kind of thing as they’re falling asleep, or is it just me?

Did anyone else hear about the big coke bust on MSC Seaside? Many kilos and six figures in cash found smuggled aboard by some crew members. They say that Carnival is the big party cruise line, but I think it’s MSC!

We were looking at itineraries for next school year over fall break (Oct 2019) and spring break (March 2020). Although we kind of preferred the March itinerary, March 2020 just sounded so far away! Also, we figured we should keep spring break of DS’s junior year open for potential college visits. So we win by getting to cruise earlier! There’s less time to save up for PIF, but I have a solid plan!

For early bookers like us, what do you guys do about travel insurance? I typically go with a plan from Travelex and their requirement for having pre-existing conditions covered is to purchase the policy within 21 days of initial deposit. I let that date come and go without purchasing the policy, thinking that we may possibly change our minds about which cruise to take, or re-book the same cruise if we see a lower rate. So if we keep this booking and purchase the policy later, the pre-existing clause is gone forever. Does anyone else worry about this kind of thing as they’re falling asleep, or is it just me?

Did anyone else hear about the big coke bust on MSC Seaside? Many kilos and six figures in cash found smuggled aboard by some crew members. They say that Carnival is the big party cruise line, but I think it’s MSC!

I usually end up buying travel insurance right before the trip. But none of us have any pre-existing conditions to worry about.

Insurance is so complicated! I also need a plan that covers pre-exisiting conditions. I'm going to check into Travelex. Thanks for the recommendation! I'm fine with buying 21 days in advance since we don't usually change our plans (especially not land vacations).

Sad news as my cruise was cancelled due to the ship getting chartered. I’m now curious as to who chartered it.

And of course I’m now looking at different cruises. Considering a gty balcony on Oasis if the price is right.

starvenger - Nooooo! We put so much time and effort and financial consideration into deciding exactly which cruise to go on, and now you have to start over. Well, maybe another blank slate is fun for you? I would be so bummed if that happened to me. I too would be curious to know who the charter is for....

Yeah it’s not ideal. Would probably be worse if I wasn’t booking a year out. RCI is refunding all deposits (including the nonrefundable ones) plus giving $50pp in OBC if we rebook. It’s a nice gesture but not a whole lot of incentive. If we hadn’t gotten cruise credit from the last cruise I probably wouldn’t bother rebooking.

I’m now trying to book an Independence 5 night out of Fort Lauderdale for the same week. Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Also a recent refurb so kids might like it. The drawback: timetable shows LOTS of ships in port those days.

Yeah it’s not ideal. Would probably be worse if I wasn’t booking a year out. RCI is refunding all deposits (including the nonrefundable ones) plus giving $50pp in OBC if we rebook. It’s a nice gesture but not a whole lot of incentive. If we hadn’t gotten cruise credit from the last cruise I probably wouldn’t bother rebooking.

I’m now trying to book an Independence 5 night out of Fort Lauderdale for the same week. Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Also a recent refurb so kids might like it. The drawback: timetable shows LOTS of ships in port those days.

Have you been to Grand Cayman? It's my favorite destination so far. We booked a cabana at Royal Palms when we went last year. It was awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!